Cruise control not working

I seem to remember a post or two about people having issues with the cc but I did a search and can't find any. Something happened to mine. Worked fine until today. Checked to see if the brakes were stuck and that's not it.   The cruise light switches on but won't activate when I try to set it. I've had the brake switch recall done already also.  Anything else simple to try?  Or am I looking at a trip to the dealer?

Maybe the replacement brake switch has failed….I would start the bike, turn on cruise, and NOT use the front brake for a short ride.  See if the cruise control will work in this fashion.  My Super Tenere cruise would work until you touched/used the front brake the first time.  Both my S10 and GT have the updated front brake switch and harness which work fine.

Also, I run a lot of free play in my clutch cable and it takes but slight movement of the clutch lever to disengage the cruise.

Edited by whisperquiet
  • Thanks 1

In a quiet place with the engine off, stick your ear next to your clutch lever and pull, you should hear two little clicks from a micro switch, one for cruise control with 1/8 travel, second for start in gear 3/4 travel. Just confirm the two clicks..

I think I remember someone having issue with the gear indicator and cruise control as well. That just takes a cleaning.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

I hear the two clicks on the clutch. Cleaned the gear indicator. Have to wait till I get home to see if that makes any difference. 

Did you happen to replace the levers with aftermarket ones?  There's a known issue with many aftermarket levers where that switch is not depressed to the second click, which means you won't be able to engage the cruise.

• Thumbsup 1

3 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

Did you happen to replace the levers with aftermarket ones?  There's a known issue with many aftermarket levers where that switch is not depressed to the second click, which means you won't be able to engage the cruise.

Nope...original. 

So that didn't do anything. I did adjust the rear brake lever lately. Do I also need to adjust some kind of sensor when I do that?  The rear brake light is not on unless I press the brakes. 

The clutch and the brake switch both work the same. The plunger on the switch is depress and as you pull on the lever the plunger comes out . The first click dsengages the cruise control the second click turns on the brake light.  You need to listen on the brake lever switch as well as the clutch lever switch to make sure you hear both clicks. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Yamajank said:

So that didn't do anything. I did adjust the rear brake lever lately. Do I also need to adjust some kind of sensor when I do that?  The rear brake light is not on unless I press the brakes. 

That's most likely your issue.  Adjust the switch so there is a bit more play.

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, Yamajank said:

This thing?

6DD63721-96E7-4FB1-AED1-8D734882B403.jpeg

Yep..if you look closely, there is a black plastic nut on the barrel of the switch.  Turn it counter clockwise a turn or two or until your CC works again.  Adjusting your brake pulled the switch plunger to far out I would guess.

• Thumbsup 3
  • Thanks 2

yup that adjustment screwed me up after I adjusted my rear brake height.   It doesn't take much of an adjustment on that nut, and its in a really challenging area to reach, but it will kill your Cruise if it isn't tweaked. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clegg78 said:

yup that adjustment screwed me up after I adjusted my rear brake height.   It doesn't take much of an adjustment on that nut, and its in a really challenging area to reach, but it will kill your Cruise if it isn't tweaked. 

Yep, lol..I typically use some needle nose pliers to move it a bit.👍

• Thanks 1

There we go!  Cruise is back.  It was the sensor.  Kind of wish you could just adjust the brake lever without hassling with that, but it's not a huge price to pay for a good cruise control.  Thanks everyone!

• Thumbsup 4
  • Like 2