Cruise control not working

15 hours ago, Yamajank said:

There we go!  Cruise is back.  It was the sensor.  Kind of wish you could just adjust the brake lever without hassling with that, but it's not a huge price to pay for a good cruise control.  Thanks everyone!

Glad to hear you have it fixed!👍

• 6 months later...

So glad you posted this.  I had the same issue but with the 2021 Tracer 9 GT.  The black plastic nut is in a different position.  It's easiest to reach with the brake lever assembly detached.  See the picture -- remove the two bolts circled in red.  The yellow arrow points to the concealed black plastic nut.  I gave it a few counter clockwise turns to reduce the tension on the spring and cruise control is back.  Remember to test to ensure it disengages when you hit the rear brake.

IMG_2788.jpg

Edited by MarkW
added clarification
  • Thumbsup 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Helpful thread in that I have a similar issue with cruise control engaging intermittently on my 2019 Niken GT but I believe the problem to be related to be too much free play in my clutch lever (most likely due to installation of my STS automatic turn signal cancelers that required me to modify the internals of the left hand switch housing) and probably threw off the tolerances needed for cruise control to detect rider activating the clutch to cancel.  Will adjust clutch play to see if that's the root cause. 

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

8 hours ago, maximNikenGT said:

Helpful thread in that I have a similar issue with cruise control engaging intermittently on my 2019 Niken GT but I believe the problem to be related to be too much free play in my clutch lever (most likely due to installation of my STS automatic turn signal cancelers that required me to modify the internals of the left hand switch housing) and probably threw off the tolerances needed for cruise control to detect rider activating the clutch to cancel.  Will adjust clutch play to see if that's the root cause. 

One does have to wonder why these machines did not get self cancelling signals.

• 6 months later...
On 8/8/2021 at 9:12 PM, kilo3 said:

In a quiet place with the engine off, stick your ear next to your clutch lever and pull, you should hear two little clicks from a micro switch, one for cruise control with 1/8 travel, second for start in gear 3/4 travel. Just confirm the two clicks..

I think I remember someone having issue with the gear indicator and cruise control as well. That just takes a cleaning.

Thanks Yamajank.  Yes It's the aftermarket shorties that caused the problem.  I just bought a new used bike that was fitted with shorties.  Followed your tip and couldn't hear the clicks.  Plus I did not like the shorties as I my pinkie was snagging on that end knob and the shorter lever meant more force required for the clutch.  And besides the CC not working it had put a pull on the clutch causing slippage.  When i rode the bike home it felt like a worn clutch(I was baffled as it had only 2825kms on it).  When I accelerated I'd hear a whine and the engine rev with the bike speeding up after a short lag.  I mention this for any one planning on shorties to consider aesthetics vs. impact of running the bike.

Long story short putting the original levers back brought the bike to it former glory.

• Thumbsup 1

• 11 months later...