Tracer High Level Mount Sat Nav GPS

Noticed it was 3D printed which is pretty cool.  Looks like a fella printing them at home and selling on eBay.  It is ABS plastic which should hold up to high temperatures.  Always nice to see folks creating cool stuff.

Nice selfie shot @bowlin 🙂

• Supporting Member
  • 10 months later...

Update/review on the Sat NAV mount.

Pros:

> Puts GPS in an ideal location, and is reasonably priced (IMO).

Cons:

> It's true that the unit itself doesn't vibrate, but what it attaches to does vibrate...a lot (Yami Touring screen here, which no doubt vibrates more than the OEM screen).  This defeats the idea of a vibration-free mounting system IME. 

> My example was a bit fiddly to install, as the supplied mounting nuts were a little to small to stay in place while tightening.  I almost went to the hardware store to upgrade to the proper size, but managed to make them work, MacGyver style.  Annoying, but do-able.

> Before trading in my Tracer, I removed all the farkles.  Discovered the Sat NAV ABS housing had cracked on both sides at the mounting points.  Had to toss it, but was glad it hadn't completely failed during a ride.  

Conclusion:

Overall, still worth having if just to move GPS to a safe location.  Eyes on the road, where they need to be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/27/2022 at 6:33 PM, 2WHLOZK said:

Update/review on the Sat NAV mount.

Pros:

> Puts GPS in an ideal location, and is reasonably priced (IMO).

Cons:

> It's true that the unit itself doesn't vibrate, but what it attaches to does vibrate...a lot (Yami Touring screen here, which no doubt vibrates more than the OEM screen).  This defeats the idea of a vibration-free mounting system IME. 

> My example was a bit fiddly to install, as the supplied mounting nuts were a little to small to stay in place while tightening.  I almost went to the hardware store to upgrade to the proper size, but managed to make them work, MacGyver style.  Annoying, but do-able.

> Before trading in my Tracer, I removed all the farkles.  Discovered the Sat NAV ABS housing had cracked on both sides at the mounting points.  Had to toss it, but was glad it hadn't completely failed during a ride.  

Conclusion:

Overall, still worth having if just to move GPS to a safe location.  Eyes on the road, where they need to be.

I recently transferred this mount from my 19 to my 21 Tracer and saw no cracks. It also fit perfectly but I seem to remember that it was a Gen2 design.

I have an MRA touring/vario which is very aerodynamic and I have no vibrations on my Tomtom. This makes me think that the cracks were caused by the vibrations of the Yamaha touring screen.

• 2 weeks later...

All,

Saw the same GPS mount on Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004349072592.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.64b08c7a4lHlaV&algo_pvid=aa4f71a2-edf9-41ca-92f8-8ca2a5dea564&algo_exp_id=aa4f71a2-edf9-41ca-92f8-8ca2a5dea564-7&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000028854907016"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!!37.1!!!1.73!!%400b0a050b16592534063288143eaa2a!12000028854907016!sea )

It looks solid and is made of PVC.

What is not clear to me is how this bracket will be mounted to the adjustable windshield knob. Are there special bolts required?

Please can someone give me advise.

txs in advance

Hans

On 7/31/2022 at 3:25 PM, Hans van Dijk said:

All,

Saw the same GPS mount on Aliexpress (https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004349072592.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.64b08c7a4lHlaV&algo_pvid=aa4f71a2-edf9-41ca-92f8-8ca2a5dea564&algo_exp_id=aa4f71a2-edf9-41ca-92f8-8ca2a5dea564-7&pdp_ext_f={"sku_id"%3A"12000028854907016"}&pdp_npi=2%40dis!EUR!!37.1!!!1.73!!%400b0a050b16592534063288143eaa2a!12000028854907016!sea )

It looks solid and is made of PVC.

What is not clear to me is how this bracket will be mounted to the adjustable windshield knob. Are there special bolts required?

Please can someone give me advise.

txs in advance

Hans

Hi Hans,

I could reply in Dutch but won't for the benefit of the other members:

It's a clever design. It just uses two small bolts with the nuts only holding the bolts themselves in place. They are not attached to anything and just fit into the existing holes of the screen clamp. This together with a "lip" on the front holds the thing in place without actually being bolted on.

I'd recommend buying from the inventor in the UK though. Unbelievable that Chinese manufacturers now even copy a design from a man selling a 3D printed design out of his garage. (Not that I'm holy in that department though so I won't judge you)

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 1

• 8 months later...