I think I have a short.

I am the 2nd owner of a 2019 Tracer GT. The previous owner had installed a power center 8, TPX radar detector, Zumo and heated seat. Recently the battery died so it was time for a replacement. I figured that while I was doing this I'd install a battery tender and take off some accessories (power center 8, TPX radar detector, Zumo and heated seat) that I don't use. While installing the battery I noticed that it was live. I connected the negative terminal and as soon as I touched that positive terminal it sparked and it sounded like the fuel  pump was activated. Key and kill switch were off, with the key on nothing light up. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere. Everything was working properly before the battery change. I'm guessing I have a short somewhere. Any ideas.

• Supporting Member

Hi @Mr.Jeem - Based on your description, I’m about 90% sure you have the new battery in backwards.  The battery lays on its side in the FJ/Tracer, and if you try to install it in the conventional 'upright' position, you end up with the positive and negative terminals reversed.   It’s an easy mistake to make, and there have been several reports of it here on the forum.   

Once you get the battery installed correctly, you will likely discover that a fuse or two have blown and the bike won’t start.  Don’t panic, as fuses protect the rest of the bike’s electronics from damage, and you should be good to go after replacing the fuse(s).  You're probably looking at the main fuse, and also the ETV fuse that runs the electronic ‘ride-by-wire’ throttle controls.

Good luck, and hopefully it's an easy fix for you...

-Scott

• Thumbsup 4

Again, no offense meant, but you might check that the physical markings on the battery case itself ("+" and "-") are connected to the proper (red and black) cables on the bike. (My 2019 GT also has an upright battery fyi, works just fine) A voltmeter test can insure everything is labelled correctly as well prior to installation.

The case markings should ALWAYS be correct due to the construction process itself. Anything requiring user intervention, like applying color coded sleeving or such say, can and will be done wrong sooner or later. Texscottyd  has the right of it that you need to check your fuses before turning the key.

Edited by PeterL

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Mr.Jeem said:

I am the 2nd owner of a 2019 Tracer GT. The previous owner had installed a power center 8, TPX radar detector, Zumo and heated seat. Recently the battery died so it was time for a replacement. I figured that while I was doing this I'd install a battery tender and take off some accessories (power center 8, TPX radar detector, Zumo and heated seat) that I don't use. While installing the battery I noticed that it was live. I connected the negative terminal and as soon as I touched that positive terminal it sparked and it sounded like the fuel  pump was activated. Key and kill switch were off, with the key on nothing light up. I'm guessing there is a short somewhere. Everything was working properly before the battery change. I'm guessing I have a short somewhere. Any ideas.

I recently got a new battery and triple checked with 3 different techs. All 3 of them said to remove the negative first and then the positive and to install the positive first and then the negative last. 
I will also echo what has already been said, don’t just look at the battery terminals, look at the battery casing and read the + or - symbol. This has been covered here and the FZ/ MT/XSR forum, it’s deceptive and easy to get backward even though the terminals look to be in the correct location. 
if it’s wrong, spin the battery around 180 degrees and lay it over on its right side. The terminal polarity will now be correct. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, PeterL said:

Again, no offense meant, but you might check that he physical markings on the battery case itself ("+" and "-") are connected to the proper (red and black) cables on the bike. (My 2019 GT also has an upright battery fyi, works just fine) A voltmeter test can insure everything is labelled correctly as well prior to installation.

Not trying to be difficult, but are you sure the battery in your bike is installed in an upright orientation, and not lying on its side, with the 'top' pointed towards the right side of the bike?    The Tracer GT uses the same battery as my 2015 FJ09, and to get the positive terminal towards the front of my bike, the only way it works is to lay the battery over on its side.  

I did a quick YouTube search, and what I found makes me believe this holds true for the Tracer GT as well (start at around the 0:20 second mark to see the battery install orientation):

1 minute ago, texscottyd said:

are you sure the battery in your bike is installed in an upright orientation, and not lying on its side, with the 'top' pointed towards the right side of the bike?

Yep. I've had the cables on and off enough times since I inherited it when my friend passed. Only had 463 miles on it too, what a shame. Other than the original oil change, I've been the only one to wrench on it. Of course, the shop he bought it from was run and staffed by idiots, so maybe THEY mucked up the original setup. I'll play with it the next time I have it down to work on, but it's given me no problems thus far. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Once you get this sorted you may notice that the QS display for the quick shifter will be off and you will not be able to access the user menu.  This is common when the terminals are accidentally switched.  You will have to clear the code or have the dealer do it before these things are back to normal.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

Thanks for all of the replies. It was a simple case of operator error. The poles were reversed from the previous batter and the - pole was covered with the red cap. Two new fuses and all is well. Thanks again.

• Thumbsup 5

• Premium Member
On 8/11/2021 at 11:24 AM, Mr.Jeem said:

Hey, glad you got it straightened out.

If you don't want the power center and TPX RD ill take them off your hands if you make me an offer I can't refuse!

LMK

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, Mr.Jeem said:

Two new fuses and all is well.

Glad to hear that!  Now you can enjoy that oh so sweet engine...

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

On 8/11/2021 at 5:14 PM, johnmark101 said:

Once you get this sorted you may notice that the QS display for the quick shifter will be off and you will not be able to access the user menu.  This is common when the terminals are accidentally switched.  You will have to clear the code or have the dealer do it before these things are back to normal.

Didn't have any other issues. No codes to clear. Thanks.

On 8/12/2021 at 1:47 PM, Your_Boy_Yuriy said:

So I’m hoping that you picked up this bike with a discount since it had the battery in reverse? 

Battery was not reversed. The replacement battery had opposite poles from the one it was replacing. Blew a couple of fuses. All is good.

• Thumbsup 1

On 8/14/2021 at 10:05 AM, Mr.Jeem said:

Battery was not reversed. The replacement battery had opposite poles from the one it was replacing. Blew a couple of fuses. All is good.

So, this is something that people need to watch with the batteries in these bikes.  They can be placed in the bike in two orientations ("upright" and "sideways") and they are this way specifically to get the polarity of the terminals in the correct position.