Is a Windscreen worth it?

LucaLex52

I'm a taller guy, 6'3", and while the bike suits me nicely, the windscreen I feel is just short of keeping the wind off my head. I've noticed how expensive windscreens are, is it really worth it to get a taller one just for the wind? Would a simple windscreen spoiler or extension be a better alternative? I don't see the justification in spending $200 for a taller screen that may look hideous, or not even do what I expected of it. 

For me, replacing the windscreen would be useless. The reason being is the type of winds I encounter. 

When a strong wind is hitting me at 90 degrees, the wind screen is useless. Or any other angle between 15-90 degrees.

There are lots a high winds that can be encountered in California and for me I dont think any aftermarkets would be much of a help. 

I ride with it in the high positions  and with the right wind conditions works fine.

I once road 6 hours  down Highway 5 on a motorcycle with no fairing with a strong head wind hitting be in the chest.  Never again. Thats the area of my body I want wind protection.

• Like 1

As a 6'2" rider that does a good amount of longer rides; I have the Givi windscreen and I would never want to do without it.  It actually looks good to me too.  It has quite a bit of height adjustment and the difference it makes when you find the right setting for you is night and day, keeps a lot of wind and bugs off me.

Edited by Oddjob
  • Thumbsup 1

I'll suggest yes.  I'm not tall at 5' 10" but the stock windscreen not only let a lot of wind hit my helmet there was a lot of buffeting on my upper arms and outer shoulders.  Riding 500 miles in a day was tiring from the buffeting.  

Went with a MRA windscreen, just the taller touring version.  It was better but helmet still had more wind than I'd like so went with a Amazon X-screen.  It did the trick.  Less noise but still get cooling air to my visor in warm weather.

Still feel cross wind buffeting somewhat and when closing on faster big truck can get some buffeting but that's OK.  It's the all day constant buffeting and noisy wind I wanted to get rid of.  If it rains I still get wet and still get water on my visor but my torso is shielded - LOL its a motorcycle and I'm still going to get wet.