Top 3 things you DON'T like about the FJ

Speaking of vinyl, does anyone have tips on what to buy, and what not to buy for paint protection vinyl?  I intend to cover both headlights, and the adjacent painted front fairing bits that are next to the headlight.
Check with a local shop that does 'clear bra' applications for cars.  They should have some scraps they'll either give you, or you can buy cheap.  If it's a reputable shop, they should have quality material.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Concur, re. the hand guards.  I'm surprised at how warm they keep your hands (even without the heated grips), but holy cow are they ever huge, prominent pieces of plastic hanging off the front end of your bike.

Also, can someone w/ better mechanical knowledge than I please tell me what engineering factor/consideration makes an accurate fuel gauge on a motorcycle such an impossible technology? I've never had a motorcycle w/ a fuel gauge I put the least bit of confidence in.  Alway erratic, always inaccurate.

What makes a fuel gauge so tricky is the fuel is a liquid and splashes around, shifts where its at every time you lean the bike. Honestly this is a pretty decent gauge compared to my old '85. So make a bladder container that is able to measure the volume of the tank and you'll get a much more accurate fuel gauge, maybe...

Also, can someone w/ better mechanical knowledge than I please tell me what engineering factor/consideration makes an accurate fuel gauge on a motorcycle such an impossible technology? I've never had a motorcycle w/ a fuel gauge I put the least bit of confidence in.  Alway erratic, always inaccurate.
After studying it for 8,000 miles I can say it is accurate.  Meaning it is consistent, but you have to learn how to read it as it is unconventional.  Reading it is hard to get, as it moves irregularly vs. mile traveled, meaning even after the first burst down to what should have been 1/2 full, it doesn't move from point to point with the same miles traveled per segment.  One segment may be 20 miles and another may be 10 miles.  Now that being said, what makes it accurate?  First you will get the first movement at between 112-130 miles depending on how you are riding.  (maybe less-maybe more)  You will have two bars left at around 145-160 or slightly over 1 gallon,  And you will have .8 gallons when the last bar starts blinking.  Therefore if you settle down to 65mph or less at the point of reserve flashing sign, you can make 35 miles without pushing.  You may be able to make 42, but pushing the last 400 feet my be a byeproduct.  Here are my average movement miles:  First bar 116-123, second bar 140-145, third bar 155-160, fourth bar 175.  Wind will cause a plus or minus effect.  A 38mph head wind will have you stopping around 175miles if you can find a gas station.  I just remember that when it drops to two bars I calculate remaining miles (gallons) based on miles traveled.  If it drops at 155 miles, I figure I can travel to 200, and will look for a station after 180.  It used to bother me, but now that I know what it is doing, I can deal with it without any problems.  Here are my "don't likes". 
1.  The handguards.  Look great but create problems with the windscreen or I should say an adequate windscreen and too many pieces and bolts involved in removal, etc.
2.  No cruise control.  No real compatible throttle lock, exp. after installing heated grips.  I went to a Go Cruise throttle control.  
3.  The handlebars are more Supermoto than Tourmoto (made that one up). :) Makes you hold your elbows out to place your hands on the bars squarely and causes stress in the outer palm.  After a few days it can cause old farts to get hand fatigue and pain.  Otherwise in the corners and around town, they are great.

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

The handlebar ergonomics is a good insight.  I have been wondering why one of my hands is hurting for no reason.  This is pretty serious and may limit my riding.

For me the three biggest issues are:

[ul type=disc][*]Seat is too hard in the ridges. Overall it is fine, but the ridges dig into you.[*]RPM dip when taking off from 1st.  Inexplicable that a good throttle rev and clutch release almost stalls the engine.  This is probably a maintenance issue. [*]Lack of remote adjustment for suspension.[/ul]
With that said, this is the best value on the road in 2015.

Concur, re. the hand guards.  I'm surprised at how warm they keep your hands (even without the heated grips), but holy cow are they ever huge, prominent pieces of plastic hanging off the front end of your bike. 
You've already gotten some very clear explanations on fuel gauge accuracy.  But one thing I don't think has been mentioned is the shape of the fuel tank! It really doesn't lend itself to emptying in a linear way. That, combined with the way the float arm is stuffed in the tank somewhere to measure the height of the fuel - is why the gauge doesn't seem to reflect the actual amount of fuel remaining in the tank. 

Every machine (car, bike, etc) is different, just need to learn the quirks of the one you happen to own. 

-skip 

After studying it for 8,000 miles I can say it is accurate.  Meaning it is consistent, but you have to learn how to read it as it is unconventional.  Reading it is hard to get, as it moves irregularly vs. mile traveled, meaning even after the first burst down to what should have been 1/2 full, it doesn't move from point to point with the same miles traveled per segment.  One segment may be 20 miles and another may be 10 miles.  Now that being said, what makes it accurate?  First you will get the first movement at between 112-130 miles depending on how you are riding.  (maybe less-maybe more)  You will have two bars left at around 145-160 or slightly over 1 gallon,  And you will have .8 gallons when the last bar starts blinking.  Therefore if you settle down to 65mph or less at the point of reserve flashing sign, you can make 35 miles without pushing.  You may be able to make 42, but pushing the last 400 feet my be a byeproduct.  Here are my average movement miles:  First bar 116-123, second bar 140-145, third bar 155-160, fourth bar 175.  Wind will cause a plus or minus effect.  A 38mph head wind will have you stopping around 175miles if you can find a gas station.  I just remember that when it drops to two bars I calculate remaining miles (gallons) based on miles traveled.  If it drops at 155 miles, I figure I can travel to 200, and will look for a station after 180.  It used to bother me, but now that I know what it is doing, I can deal with it without any problems.  Here are my "don't likes". 
1.  The handguards.  Look great but create problems with the windscreen or I should say an adequate windscreen and too many pieces and bolts involved in removal, etc.
2.  No cruise control.  No real compatible throttle lock, exp. after installing heated grips.  I went to a Go Cruise throttle control.  
3.  The handlebars are more Supermoto than Tourmoto (made that one up). :) Makes you hold your elbows out to place your hands on the bars squarely and causes stress in the outer palm.  After a few days it can cause old farts to get hand fatigue and pain.  Otherwise in the corners and around town, they are great.

With all due respect, that is the most convoluted definition of "accurate" I've ever read.  I think you mean "predictable" instead.  Ride safe and fill up frequently! 

After studying it for 8,000 miles I can say it is accurate.  Meaning it is consistent, but you have to learn how to read it as it is unconventional.  Reading it is hard to get, as it moves irregularly vs. mile traveled, meaning even after the first burst down to what should have been 1/2 full, it doesn't move from point to point with the same miles traveled per segment.  

With all due respect, that is the most convoluted definition of "accurate" I've ever read.  I think you mean "predictable" instead.  Ride safe and fill up frequently!
Agreed.  :)

Ken, Candy Ass L.D.R. Sleeps 8 hours
(2)2005 FJR1300abs:  230,000 m
2015 FJ-09:  114,000 m (Replaced engine at 106K)

It used to bother me, but now that I know what it is doing, I can deal with it without any problems.
It bothered me too, but felt it more something I had to work out what it was doing rather than it seeming to be making it up as it went along. I did a 1 000 mile trip this last weekend (4 days) and had some time to get to know it and practice some mental arithmetic, figures are fairly rough and will vary depending on consumption. Oh, I should add in the UK we have a strange combination of fuel in liters but distance in miles. 
For me half tank is around 100 miles, I had worked on each quarter segment (half to reserve) being 1.5 liters, consumption display showing around 50 mpg (UK gal) - rough conversion I'll do 10 miles per liter. Then I waited to see what would happen 15 miles after the first, long, bar went off. At around 17 miles the second bar goes and I checked again and sure enough 18 miles or thereabouts #3 goes off. All the time I am doing pretty steady speed and consumption the same (on a motorway/freeway), then I hit traffic and slowed down and had some filtering (lane splitting) so #4 hadn't gone off by 20 miles, which was my refuel point so wasn't able to see if it is linear for all 4 blocks.

Now I have 'sorted' that out it is no longer an annoyance but I'll carry on using the odo as well!

Guest macem29
I'm thinking about getting an FJ, but I like to do my research.  What are your concerns?  Windshields?  Mileage?  Maintenance?  Seat?
Have you 'researched' the existing threads in this forum?

forum is a few months old and I'm seeing this stuff already? 
is this typical behaviour here? if so I'm out

This is typical behavior on any forum I've seen ever.  It also seems to be typical behavior on all forums for people to sign up for a forum to post that they are out.  Given you have been registered for 5 hours and this is your only post, you seem to be exhibiting typical forum behavior as well.   
BTW, welcome!

I suppose I was a little brusque in pointing out the irony of not searching the existing threads first?

FJ-09, 690 Enduro R.
Back Roads. Period.

Hello students - welcome to Forums 101.

1. The new people ask the obvious questions which could be found with a search, yet they never do. Then they get butt hurt when people legitimately ask if they searched, because of course this the first forum they've ever seen in their lives.
2. The old people get annoyed because they think . o O ( Here we go AGAIN!) as if it's such an inconvenience to just not read the post. It's even funnier when the forum itself is pretty young and the old heads really haven't seen the question THAT many times. It just reminds them of every other time on every other forum they've been on.
3. THEN, the admins/mods feel they have to get involved to break up the virtual catfight while all the normal posters who took this 101 class years ago think . o O (Here we go AGAIN!). This results in one of three things: either the 'catfight' stops and people go about their lives, it dissipates on its own without anyone getting permanently damaged, or the normal people feel the forum is getting too over-moderated and speech-censoring and go elsewhere.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Or just ignore it all and read the stuff you wanna read. Voila! :)
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

2. The old people get annoyed because they think . o O ( Here we go AGAIN!)

Did you just call me old? lol. That's all I got out of that. Sorry. All in good fun. Carry on.

Archived