Top 3 things you DON'T like about the FJ

• Premium Member
Have you 'researched' the existing threads in this forum?

forum is a few months old and I'm seeing this stuff already? 
is this typical behaviour here? if so I'm out

Parting is such sweet sorrow. Ta. :-/ 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest macem29
so you guys are suggesting that after 3 months of posts on a forum about a new bike,
all that's ever to be known is here for the searching? really?

• Premium Member
At this point the #1 thing I don't like about the FJ is that the Yamaha hard bags, mounts, and heated grips have been backordered for 6 weeks.  Originally scheduled to ship on 4/24 and 4/28, they're now saying it's all supposed to ship 5/21.  I figure that date is likely to be about as reliable as the first dates were, meaning maybe I'll get that stuff by solstice, but I'd be happy to be surprised.

The dealer says this is typical Yamaha for any kind of expensive accessory.  It's hard to believe they didn't anticipate people actually wanting to have luggage for this kind of bike.  O_o

The #2 thing is the noisy stock windshield.

I thought I'd be complaining about the suspension, but actually in use it's not all that bad unless the road is really broken up.

My #3 is another Yamaha accessory, the engine guards.  They're expensive pieces of junk.  (Maybe I shouldn't keep saying that, I would like to sell them to someone to recoup at least some of what I spent since I cannot return them.)

The Yamaha rack is a bit of a study in contrasts, almost making #4.  Mostly it's pretty decent kit, but the bolts they shipped with it are much worse than the bolts that come out of the upper luggage mounts.  I stripped one of the bolts trying to tighten it to spec with a torque wrench.  The bolts that came out were good quality.  And while Yamaha recommends not using both rack and side cases because of load limits, I'm wondering if the real problem there is that putting on the rack extends the upper mounts for the side cases by more than half an inch.  That's probably not so good for strength and would reduce load limits on the side bags even if there's nothing on the rack.  I'm not sure yet, and maybe someone can confirm, but the lower luggage mounts look like they're not going to be in the right position with the rack on too.  That's fixable with longer bolts and spacers on the passenger pegs (Givi does this, I'm told), but the whole thing really looks like Yamaha designed it for either/or but doesn't want to say that outright.  I might end up taking the rack off and selling it (with new, higher quality bolts of course).

With a new windscreen and nothing else I think it's a freaking awesome bike.  It's been a long time since I wanted to go to bed early so I could get up early and go ride.

2015 FJ-09 (Mary Kate)
2007 Daytona 675 (Tabitha, ret.)
1998 Vulcan 800 (Ret.)
2001 SV650S (Veronica, Ret.)
2000 Intruder 800 (Ret.)

forum is a few months old and I'm seeing this stuff already? 
is this typical behaviour here? if so I'm out

I suppose I was a little brusque in pointing out the irony of not searching the existing threads first?
Maybe. I wouldn't worry about it though. It certainly doesn't excuse the trolling behavior though by macem29. I need to learn to stop feeding trolls. There's only room for one troll on this forum and his username is troll.

• Premium Member
so you guys are suggesting that after 3 months of posts on a forum about a new bike, all that's ever to be known is here for the searching? really?
You have to forgive some of them, forum bullies like to bully, it's just a shame the bullies are the moderators.
And this is helpful how? 2bitchslap_zpst7e3ufi6.gif 
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.
George Bernard Shaw (1856-1950)
Bikes:
2015 FJ-09, Seat Concepts seat cover and foam, Cal Sci medium screen, rim stripes, factory heated grips, Cortech Dryver tank bag ring, Modified stock exhaust, FlashTune with Graves fuel map, Cree driving lights, Aux power socket.
2012 Street Triple type R (Wifes)
2007 FJR1300 (Sold!)

Archived