Another cruise control thread

cwjb

I decided to start a new thread because I'm having some weird cruise control issues that I haven't seen described  anywhere else. Everything works exactly as it should- in 6th gear only. This will work at any speed and any rpm. It goes right into cruise mode, stays in as long as I  want it to, comes right out when I use any of the canceling modes, and changes speed up and down with the buttons. In any other gear, the green light comes on, it goes into cruise mode just as it should and then anywhere from a couple of seconds to a few minutes the green light goes out and cruise stops.

I had Ivan do a reflash and before this started and for a few weeks it worked as Ivan said it would - cruise at any speed and in any gear. I can't see anything changing inside the box so I'm sure that the problem isn't there.

I've taken off the Evotech levers and put the stockers back on, adjusted the rear brake light switch, and had the front one replaced by a dealer. I pulled and cleaned the gear indicator switch and that didn't help.  I thought about replacing it but it's  $175. That would be okay if I was sure it was the problem. 

Thanx in advance for your thoughts. 

Yeah it's a real stumper. The switch doesn't have any moving parts - all it does is indicate gear position and it does that just fine. As for the reflash, he needed to hook the box up to a computer to change values inside. He did that and it worked like it was supposed to. You would think that you'd have to go back in the box for anything to change again.

On a different note, I finally got that Seat Concepts saddle. We'll have to get together and check out each others seats. Uh hope that didn't sound too weird. 

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/22/2021 at 7:20 AM, cwjb said:

Yeah it's a real stumper. The switch doesn't have any moving parts - all it does is indicate gear position and it does that just fine. As for the reflash, he needed to hook the box up to a computer to change values inside. He did that and it worked like it was supposed to. You would think that you'd have to go back in the box for anything to change again.

On a different note, I finally got that Seat Concepts saddle. We'll have to get together and check out each others seats. Uh hope that didn't sound too weird. 

Its usually not the gear switch but the clutch or brake safety switches....but again, if it works in 6th, that would not be the issue.  I am sending my ECU to Ivan in a few weeks and I may leave cruise as is.  Already got my Black widow exhaust waiting to go on too.

On the seat front, I like the sargent and its better then stock but is in no way perfect.  So, I decided to send my stock seat off to Seth Laam for a custom set up.  He called me yesterday and I should have it by the end of next week.  I hope this is the end of it, lol.

How is the Seat Concepts??

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

How is the Seat Concepts??

I've been running a seat concepts for a couple years now. I like it just fine. That said. I rarely do more than  ~160 miles in one run. and 450 miles in a day is about it. So. YMMV

• Thumbsup 3

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

It's a lot better than stock but I'm still wishing that I would have went with a custom right off the bat. I've got it in the hi front and lower back position so it looks kind of funky with the big gap at the tankbut that takes about all the forward slope out. I've always liked Seat Concepts but I wish they would have offered a taller option with this seat.

You'll like  Ivan. Very easy to work with. Let me know if you want to try out the reflash before you get it. Im really happy with it.

I hope you have better luck with Seth Laam than I did. No complaints about the seat but the 5 months before that were a nightmare. 

• Thumbsup 1

18 hours ago, cwjb said:

It's a lot better than stock but I'm still wishing that I would have went with a custom right off the bat. I've got it in the hi front and lower back position so it looks kind of funky with the big gap at the tankbut that takes about all the forward slope out. I've always liked Seat Concepts but I wish they would have offered a taller option with this seat.

You'll like  Ivan. Very easy to work with. Let me know if you want to try out the reflash before you get it. Im really happy with it.

I hope you have better luck with Seth Laam than I did. No complaints about the seat but the 5 months before that were a nightmare. 

Interesting.  Yeah I have had many Ivan ECU flashes and even a couple of his jet kits.  He is the man.  My old FZ-09 flash was fantastic.

Seth has been great quite honestly.  Very nice guy...very busy.  He called me Friday after about 6 weeks which was the expected lead time and will be shipping Tomorrow.  Never had a custom seat so I pray its good, lol.

• Thumbsup 1

• 9 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 7:29 AM, cwjb said:

I decided to start a new thread because I'm having some weird cruise control issues that I haven't seen described  anywhere else. Everything works exactly as it should- in 6th gear only. This will work at any speed and any rpm. It goes right into cruise mode, stays in as long as I  want it to, comes right out when I use any of the canceling modes, and changes speed up and down with the buttons. In any other gear, the green light comes on, it goes into cruise mode just as it should and then anywhere from a couple of seconds to a few minutes the green light goes out and cruise stops.

I had Ivan do a reflash and before this started and for a few weeks it worked as Ivan said it would - cruise at any speed and in any gear. I can't see anything changing inside the box so I'm sure that the problem isn't there.

I've taken off the Evotech levers and put the stockers back on, adjusted the rear brake light switch, and had the front one replaced by a dealer. I pulled and cleaned the gear indicator switch and that didn't help.  I thought about replacing it but it's  $175. That would be okay if I was sure it was the problem. 

Thanx in advance for your thoughts. 

Finally got this problem solved. It was time for a new chain so while I had it apart I put the original front sprocket back on.(had gone up a tooth) I only did it because I tried everything else. I have no explanation for it but the cc now works in every gear and at any speed or rpm.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, cwjb said:

Finally got this problem solved. It was time for a new chain so while I had it apart I put the original front sprocket back on.(had gone up a tooth) I only did it because I tried everything else. I have no explanation for it but the cc now works in every gear and at any speed or rpm.

My guess is with the +1 up front and a worn chain, you were just outside the parameters for CC to work. Much like us that tried -1 in front. There's a happy medium that ol Yamaha accounts for.

• Thumbsup 2

Kilo3, The chain was still pretty fresh when I changed the sprocket. Somebody over on advrider suggested that the brain might be confused when it wasn't reading the usual rpm/gear numbers. Makes sense to me. 

Bill H. The wrench size for that nut is 30mm

12 hours ago, cwjb said:

Kilo3, The chain was still pretty fresh when I changed the sprocket. Somebody over on advrider suggested that the brain might be confused when it wasn't reading the usual rpm/gear numbers. Makes sense to me. 

Bill H. The wrench size for that nut is 30mm

Yeah.  Mine was in the shop for a distressingly long time trying to diagnose why my CC wouldn't work - with Yamaha certified techs in direct communication with Yamaha engineering.  Front sprocket changes break cruise control.  Rear you can go +/- 2 teeth and still have it work. Though it's theoretically possible with odd sized tires or other factors that alter final gearing that you may go too far from stock and cause problems, I and many others have gone 2 teeth in the rear without problems.

• Thumbsup 1