CHAIN !!!!!

26 minutes ago, Wintersdark said:

I've found MUCH better results from just lubing, never cleaning.  The closest to cleaning I ever get is to just run a rag over the side plates to buff them up.  

The theory is that when you're cleaning - particularly with something like WD40 - is that it penetrates and de-lubes the o-rings.  WD40 in and of itself is an extremely bad lubricant; it's immediately slippery, but quickly dries to be sticky.  But it penetrates and removes grease and oil extremely quickly.  And that's exactly what you don't want to do with a chain.  Add lubricant, wipe off the outside surface to look nice if you like, and you're golden. 

Lube keeps it clean anyways.

Don’t know squat about o-ring chains, is my first non-shafty since the 80s. 

Day job has been wrenching on things with wings for coming up on 38 years. 

Based on these other experiences however, me wiping the crud off my chain with generic mineral spirits on a rag followed by applying chain wax and turning the wheel to get it distributed should really not affect much…

• Thumbsup 1

2 minutes ago, thewrenchbender said:

Don’t know squat about o-ring chains, is my first non-shafty since the 80s. 

Based on these other experiences however, me wiping the crud off my chain with generic mineral spirits on a rag followed by applying chain wax and turning the wheel to get it distributed should really not affect much…

Wiping off is quite a bit different than spraying with WD40.

When you're spraying a directed, pressurized stream of something designed to penetrate you're WAY more likely to remove the lubricant from around and inside the o-rings (actually, I think they're X-Rings on the stock chain?) and then you're only replacing lubricant on the outside of the chain.  

Wiping off the outside of the chain is obviously fine, though.  It's just been my experience that when people talk about using WD40 to clean a chain, they're not wetting a rag with WD40 and wiping, they're spraying it into the chain directly.

I've used DuPont Chain Saver for several years. I spray it into a little cup and use a soft brush to apply to the chain. I feel like spraying the stuff on the chain creates a lot of mess and wasted lube. Occasionally, I'll wipe the chain with a rag sprayed with WD-40 to clean off the road grime (or salt in the winter).

1 hour ago, thewrenchbender said:

Aircraft mechanic?

Edited by Skidood

Seems from anecdotal evidence that some 2020 US models are indeed affected. Which means I will be carefully monitoring my chain a bit more than usual. Does Yamaha cover replacement under warranty in the US, or is it a local dealer call/judgement?

I won't be too unhappy if i get 13k out of the chain on a price point bike. My last 3 stock chains were done by or before 10k. Once i go to a high quality chain i get around 25-30k.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, sandman900 said:

Seems from anecdotal evidence that some 2020 US models are indeed affected. Which means I will be carefully monitoring my chain a bit more than usual. Does Yamaha cover replacement under warranty in the US, or is it a local dealer call/judgement?

Unless there's a known issue/recall (that they admit to) they won't cover the chain under the warranty.  The warranty explicitly excepts "wear items" like brake pads, chains, and clutches.  Unless you get really lucky anyways.

• Thumbsup 1

I haven't heard anything about an official recall, so I would say Yamaha or the dealer wouldn't replace it under warranty. 

My stock chain went 14k miles, but it was pretty rough for the last 2k miles.

I had a 2012 NC700X, and Honda did have a recall on the factory chains for some bikes. Mine wasn't one of them. The factory DID chain only went about 8k miles before it was toast.

Thanks every one for your replies, glad it is not just me had a problem.

The factory chain is rubbish, but not X ring as some people think. 

I only lightly clean my chain and don't spray WD40 onto the chain but use a rag.

As for never cleaning a chain, all the dust and road grime that sticks to the chain acts like grinding paste !!!!!

I will replace it with a Gold DID X ring chain.

Cheers Edgar Jessop.

• Thumbsup 2

On 8/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, edgarjessop12 said:

Hi, just been cleaning my bike ,UK 2018 900 GT, it has done 13,000 miles, and have just found tiny little bits of rubber coming out of about 7 chain links, also found one O ring stuck in chain lube on the Swinging arm....... I only clean the chain with WD40, and use a Top Class chain lube. This is my 42nd bike and never seen this before. Has anyone else had this problem.

Cheers Edgar Jessop.

YIKES,,,,Not sure I would be using WD40,    the manual calls for kerosine ,,and never use motor oil,,like wd 40 it has additives that will mess up orings 

• Thumbsup 1

9 hours ago, edgarjessop12 said:

As for never cleaning a chain, all the dust and road grime that sticks to the chain acts like grinding paste !!!!!

You would cringe to see my dirt bike chain. Never understand why people clean them, I get the same if not more life by just adding lube. Not to mention I actually measure for the recommended max chain length wear, not just willy nilly replacing a chain.

I'd be curious to know how people are cleaning their chain. Are they blasting a solvent like WD40 or kerosene that gets under the o rings and washes out factory chain lube? Scrubbing with a brush of some type?  I have 10,000 km on my 2019 Tracer GT and the chain and sprockets look like new.  I use gear oil liberally and wipe off excess with a rag.

I have a Canadian market 2020 gt and I clean with kerosene and then lube liberally with an o ring safe chain lube. I have had many bikes over 30 plus years and have often got over 30,000 plus kms from chains and sprockets. My 2020 has 14000 kms on it and I have a few o rings that are damaged and coming out of their seats.  I find this both surprising and very disappointing.  

On 9/2/2021 at 4:56 PM, Basket said:

I have a Canadian market 2020 gt and I clean with kerosene and then lube liberally with an o ring safe chain lube. I have had many bikes over 30 plus years and have often got over 30,000 plus kms from chains and sprockets. My 2020 has 14000 kms on it and I have a few o rings that are damaged and coming out of their seats.  I find this both surprising and very disappointing.  

I think that what happens to my bike is a foreshadowing of what’s likely to happen to yours 😀

• Thumbsup 1

On 9/2/2021 at 4:56 PM, Basket said:

If I were you I'd just change out the chain now vs. waiting.  You have 14,000 km on the bike the sprockets are very likely in great shape and do not need to be changed out.  Get a good quality chain in place and you'll probably be good for another 30,000 km, the wear you're used to getting.

Obviously I'll have to watch my chain for this o-ring issue.  I clean chain with a non aerosol Simple Green spray and wipe excess off with a rag, then put on gear lube and wipe off excess. Ryan at Fortnine has a video out indicating that WD40 and kerosene penetrate the o-rings and wash out factory lube. Maybe this is a cause of o-rings tearing 

• Thumbsup 2