Lowering the forms in the clamps when fitting lowering link to read ?

Ferrett847

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member
On 9/17/2021 at 4:04 PM, Ferrett847 said:

So an update after fitting the rear lowering link .I did not drop the forms through the homes ,yet .The bike with the link fitted feels far more composed on the rear .

Any pictures of the install?

2019 Niken GT
"Motorcycles - the brand is not important, the fact that you ride is."

• Supporting Member

I just realized this thread was about lowering a Niken, and not the conventional forks of a Tracer.  

Interesting question, but I have to wonder if that might introduce some unintended negative consequences on a Niken?  Given the complex geometry and carefully coordinated movement across multiple planes with that front end, I’m not sure making alterations to the base geometry seems like a wise idea.   

I don’t have a Niken, and may be totally off base here, but the engineer in me would be cautious… 

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Here is a video installation of the Niken lowering link. I have one on order but not sure what to do yet. I lowered my FJ-09 and the ground clearance was a constant worry. The fact that the lowering link is a Yamaha product, and the Niken already has better ground clearance than the FJ (5.9" v 5.3") makes me feel that lowering the Niken may not be  an issue.

Ferrett847  I have two questions, is ground clearance an issue with the lowering link installed? Which seat do you have, as I've considered giving up the comfort seat and get a lower one?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/2017/fj-09/compare/?compId=59ee7fb92a0ab610ec5f2cd5

• Thanks 1

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, KellyL said:

Seems like Touratech/Hyperpro offer a 20mm lowering kit via fork internal mods, and they claim "sensible reduction in height without affecting the riding properties". If that is true then raising the stock forks should achieve the same thing. I'd prefer a more reasoned explanation than just marketing copy though.

@Heli ATP regarding ground clearance - I guess it depends on type of riding? I do a fair bit of gravel road riding with the Niken (standard suspension height), and have whacked the catalytic converter + lower crossbar on ruts a few times.

Postscript: I just looked at the trike and discovered there are plastic shrouds sitting above the forks that prevent them from being raised up the clamp. These shrouds would have to be removed entirely.

Never seen these before - because Touratech doesn't even offer these on the US site. Have to go international for this part. Good to know. 

2022-03-27_touratech_lowering_kit.jpg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member
11 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Here is a video installation of the Niken lowering link. I have one on order but not sure what to do yet. I lowered my FJ-09 and the ground clearance was a constant worry. The fact that the lowering link is a Yamaha product, and the Niken already has better ground clearance than the FJ (5.9" v 5.3") makes me feel that lowering the Niken may not be  an issue.

Ferrett847  I have two questions, is ground clearance an issue with the lowering link installed? Which seat do you have, as I've considered giving up the comfort seat and get a lower one?

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/sport-touring/models/2017/fj-09/compare/?compId=59ee7fb92a0ab610ec5f2cd5

Interesting install of this rear lowering link from Yamaha. Apparently it's only about (1/32" / 132 mm?)drop - couldn't tell from the explanation of how significant a difference was experienced. 

The part itself was available on Yamaha EU site, but not on the US site. I would think that with the lowering of the rear, if you don't adjust the front headlights then some slight headlight leveling adjustment might be required to get them to point where they don't blind oncoming drivers. 

With this adjustment you're definitely not Carolina squat levels though. I Made Fun of the Carolina Squat, But I Didn't Want It Banned (caranddriver.com)

2022-03-27_niken_lowering_linkage.jpg

2022-03-27_carolina_squat.jpg

2019 Niken GT

• Supporting Member

So looking at lowering options for the Niken I wonder if the OEM lowering Link plus the replacement front and rear spring from Touratech would be a consideration. Or if it would be one or the other of rear lowering link or spring?

Maybe an Olins in the back and front springs would be the way to go?

https://www.ohlinsusa.com/parts/yamaha/niken/2020

Anyone know of a suspension guru in the NY/PA/NJ tristate area?

• Supporting Member

Placed an order for a Lowering kit from Hyperpro, cheaper than the Touratech...

Hyerpro says shipping 4-9 days. Touratech advertises delivery within 3 months.

No experience with either so hopefully quality is comparable?

I've also got the Yamaha rear lowering link coming from Canada, will take pics of before and after when the time comes.

HyperPro Kit

Touratech Kit

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, KellyL said:

Great, please let us know how you go with the kit.

How are you planning on dealing with the side stand length?

When I lowered my FJ-09 I had a friend reduce the side stand by 1.25 inches. He cut it and put a steel rod inside as it was hollow. I will probably do the same again. The center stand worked but took a little more effort. T-Rex Racing do offer adjustable side and center Stands for the Yamaha 900, should fit?

• Supporting Member

Placed an order for a Lowering kit from Hyperpro from the Netherlands EU on Tuesday and it arrived in Pennsylvania USA on Friday. That is fast and shipping was only US$21. I will take before and after measurements and pics for those interested. I'm out of town for a few days but think I saw a connector under the seat for the Yamaha heated comfort seat, may look at using that for power? Anyone have install instructions for the Yamaha heated seat?

The GT seat is so comfortable I don't want to mess with it but I may take the seat apart and see if I can lose some height in the padding. I also plan on adding a Saddlemen dual switch seat heater kit. Just have to determine what size to purchase.

Saddlemen Seat Heater Kit

Sos for the late reply,no I did not lower the forks and it made no difference in the handling just lowering the rear.I did not cut the side stand there is no need as this just makes it more difficult to oik up especially if you have a pillion and are in an off camber road situation .

• 3 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Today I installed the Yamaha lowering kit on the Niken, same as has been documented earlier in the thread. The physical difference between the stock link and the lowering one is only 4mm. I measured before and after and think this reduced the seat by just a half inch. Not really worth the hassle but if a half inch is all you need then this will work. Next I will install the  Hyperpro lowering kit with front and rear springs which offers 20mm reduction. I used the same technique as the video shown earlier with a block of wood under the rear wheel. The only other thing you will need is bearing grease such as Yamalube wheel bearing grease as the stock bolts are reused.

No difference with using side stand or center stand.

Niken Lowering Link.jpg

Niken Links.jpg