Damaged my fuel line latch/lock/keeper - advice please.

dazzler24

• Supporting Member

@whisperquiet - Yes, I try to do my due diligence and check all avenues to purchase from and while it is indeed cheaper to buy from the US - even with the exchange rate, it usually (but not always) is nullified by the cost of shipping.  Shipping from the US to here can sometimes exceed the price of the part!

Having said that I just checked Partzilla and I may have been able to get the part delivered for around AU$80!  Also having said that, it also shows the part not in stock (just like here) so the difference in the price for me to order locally was AU$28 but with the 'advantage' of getting the part sooner - perhaps!

Thanks for looking though. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've found partshark.com to have much better prices and shipping costs than most everyone else if you want to check them also for yucks...

Screenshot_20210831-190455_Samsung Internet.jpg

I don't know what DHL would charge me but here are the figures from the Part Shark site.....

Also, not too keen on the words under the USPS option .."expect it to take months"  Yikes!

image.thumb.png.36e0cac4c64c09b4a747100f6fddc40b.png

• Supporting Member
17 minutes ago, ilanr1 said:

Maybe i'm too late for the party BUT , you can cut the end of the pipe and just insert it on the other side ,  lock it with a steel adjusting band and all is good !!!.

Yes, I guess that would work too as long as the inside diameter of the fuel line matches the fuel spiggot O/D?  Have you done this yourself?

I'm still going to stick with the OEM approach but thanks for the suggestion.

• Premium Member

Yikes is right!  9-8 ~ 9-27 delivery to PS at least offers a glimmer of hope.

I may be a fool but I'd ride with it broken without worry.  As someone else also  offered, I've seen gas fittings without the second safety catch that seems designed by a Yamaha attorney rather than an engineer. 

• Thumbsup 2

Late to this thread but my recent order of the xsr clutch from partshark cost $64 delivery with DHL which I thought was good as usps were quoting a similar price and extended delivery dates.  Delivery was to Ireland. 

Edited by DubT9
  • Thumbsup 1

On 8/30/2021 at 9:55 AM, dazzler24 said:

As Gomer Pyle would say.. "Surprise, surprise, surprise!"

Got a call from the seller and the news is that it needs to come from Japan as none in stock so 2-3weeks wait time.

Think I'm going to chance it with the old one in the mean time. I'm reasonably confident that it is good enough to not leak but will take it on a short run and check for leaks at ever increasing intervals until I'm satisfied- JIC.

Reminds me of something a friend at a Yamaha and Honda dealer used to say back in the 80s:

NSBOTJ

AKA no stock back order to Japan

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

BTW Daz, I didn't know you got GP USMC down there.  Still one of America's best characters!

Haven't seen that show in years.  It was probably in the 60s when I was still a whipper snapper and we watched it in black & white on one of the only two channels available at the time.

In the days when the TV remote was which of the kids turn was it to get up and walk over to the TV to turn the channel knob.  Good times. 🙂

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 9/2/2021 at 3:31 AM, sirepair said:

Can you put the broken clip on, then add a zip tie and/or duct tape to secure it in place?

Also, it looks much like similar clasps used on late model Fords.

Yes, don't even have to zip tie it really as its just one of the tangs that's broken.  My concern was that the blue inner bit was deformed slightly in my ham fisted attempt in removal.  It too may be OK but I'm going to go safety first - JIC.

As you've noticed, I think that the orange clasp is the same on a number of different models in the Yamaha range (and maybe other machines too) and I was tempted initially to buy a wrecked one and just swap over the clasp.

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Haven't seen that show in years.  It was probably in the 60s when I was still a whipper snapper and we watched it in black & white on one of the only two channels available at the time.

In the days when the TV remote was which of the kids turn was it to get up and walk over to the TV to turn the channel knob.  Good times. 🙂

We had 3 or 4 stations in the 50s we watched on a combo TV record player in a wood cabinet. 

I remember the TV screen was very small and round.

We got our first color TV probably in the mid to late 60s, as I remember watching the nightly Vietnam coverage in color.  Just a few years later I went through our military conscription draft and worried about going there...

Not so much good times for me after 68 for many years after.  A lot of shit happened  that year that changed the world...

• Thumbsup 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Part finally arrived!  Looks like it has changed in part number since original but is supposed to be compatible by all accounts.  New one has a blue locking cap as opposed to an orange one.

Original = 1RC-13971-10

Original line has not shown any signs of leakage so it will get changed at the next tank removal exercise.

20210923_121308.thumb.jpg.8bc244b1608e563c60c16a7255bcd6c6.jpg