standard mode take-off from standstill

I've done about 1200 miles on my new tracer - one thing keeps bugging me. When I go from lights in standard mode, the revs take a power sapping dip as I let out the clutch - just for an instant, but enough that it's a pain. Initially I thought I was backing off the throttle unconsciously as I wasn't used to the sensitive throttle, but it doesn't do this in A mode. I just don't want to use A mode in town - it's too twitchy for my liking. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've found the only time I don't get this is if I give it quite fistful of throttle but that's just not realistic in town.
For what its worth - this isn't my first bike - I have 6 years of riding experience and haven't found this on a bunch of other bikes I've ridden. 
It's fine once the bike is going, and from a slow pace it picks up fine - just from standstill it doesn't take off in a smooth way.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
No, doesn't happen on mine or the dealer demo bike I used.

Did your dealer balance the throttle bodies at the 1st service? Symptoms sound like this might be the problem.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• Premium Member
The balance of the throttle bodies is more critical at low revs. If one cylinder starts getting fuel when the others are still shut off then you are going to get jerkiness. If one cylinder is shut off when the other two are being fuelled then you may get the symptoms you describe - the engine will appear to be revving okay under no load but as soon as you drop the clutch the engine bogs down under the load until all 3 cylinders begin to get enough fuel, then you take off. At higher revs the symptoms are barely noticeable.

A mode opens the throttle bodies wider for smaller inputs on the throttle - hence you not liking it for town riding as you can go forward too rapidly. This may mask the symptoms described above.
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Yep, you're not alone.  I've experienced the same power dip when letting out the clutch as you have.  I'll pay more attention to what mode I'm in next time, since I'm not sure it's just confined to B mode as I frequently put it in A mode right from the start.  And just like you, at first I thought it was me...since I rotate between three bikes (another Yamaha 850 and a Ninja 1100) and figured maybe I was just confusing throttle input from one bike to the other (if you can figure out what I mean).  Anyway, I'm pretty much used to it and I'm sure you will be soon as well. 

not sure about this. i seem not to notice any issues. i have owned about every bike under the sun and i find the FJ very easy off the stop. maybe it is me.

you ought to ride a 2005 Ducati Multistrada with the dry clutch. that is interesting.

I also get something similar. Not tried any other modes, mostly ride in std. My current thought is that it is the traction control as with the dip in revs, i also get a strange noise like a low frequency squeak. I've not done much investigating yet. It does seem to happen more the faster I release the clutch which is why I am thinking traction control

. My current thought is that it is the traction control as with the dip in revs, i also get a strange noise like a low frequency squeak. I've not done much investigating yet. It does seem to happen more the faster I release the clutch which is why I am thinking traction control

The TCS light on the display will flash whenever traction control is engaged. something to watch for ....

-Skip

Me to, noticed it as soon as I set off on the demo bike, was worried id stall it it was so noticeable, just assumed it was me getting used to a new bikes clutch.( also, id never ridden a bike with f/i ) Mentioned it when I handed the bike back, the dealer agreed with me that it probably  was just me going to a new bike. Having done 1700 miles on my Tracer I now think its just the f/i and ive kind of got used to it and rev it a bit harder at 'take off ' . And yes my f/i was checked at the first service so its set up right. 

I don't get it in A mode. I'll get a little jerk if i'm not smooth taking off in A mode. I noticed mine does this in std mode too. I figured it was just the FI trying to smooth out the initial roll on.

. My current thought is that it is the traction control as with the dip in revs, i also get a strange noise like a low frequency squeak. I've not done much investigating yet. It does seem to happen more the faster I release the clutch which is why I am thinking traction control
The TCS light on the display will flash whenever traction control is engaged. something to watch for ....

-Skip

I've tried with the traction control off and it's the same feeling of a fleeting bogging of the fueling on take off...

I may understand what you are describing. I notice something similar if I fully engage the clutch and the engine rpm is very low, near idle, under 2000 rpm. If I slip a bit longer, so that the bike speed when the clutch if fully engaged has the engine turning 3000 rpm, i don't notice it at all.

I would describe it as too low rpm but it could be a lean bog.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Archived