standard mode take-off from standstill

Got about 700km on mine now and I do not notice this problem. I spend most of my time in STD mode. Could be that like mjsracing, I tend to feed in more throttle and slip the clutch a bit more. I always try to ride as smooth as possible thus maybe I tend to slip the clutch a bit more. I tend to go fairly easy off the line, wait till the bike is rolling and the clutch fully engaged and then accelerate more quickly.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Count me in on this as well, noticed it today, and just found this thread. STD mode requires more revs to pull away smoothly, has a slight hesitation when revs are low. A mode is much smoother.

Some slight tweaking in the map should fix it.

I wouldn't be surprised if that section of the map is narrowly off, and it may be exaggerated by the bike's long first gear.
2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

Guest lawrenceofsuburbia
If they fix it somehow please let us know what they did!  
Perhaps balancing the throttle bodies will cure it as suggested... it seems that some bikes exhibit this behaviour and some not. 
Could someone please tell us all what are the symptoms of out-of-balance throttle bodies. According to my (Oz) Owner's Manual - which, BTW - I find very good compared to others I've had, given that it includes many useful diagrams, etc - 'synchronization' of the fuel injection system is to be done at the first 1000km/ 600mi service.   Page 7-3.
L of S

• Premium Member
If they fix it somehow please let us know what they did!  
Perhaps balancing the throttle bodies will cure it as suggested... it seems that some bikes exhibit this behaviour and some not. 
Could someone please tell us all what are the symptoms of out-of-balance throttle bodies. According to my (Oz) Owner's Manual - which, BTW - I find very good compared to others I've had, given that it includes many useful diagrams, etc - 'synchronization' of the fuel injection system is to be done at the first 1000km/ 600mi service.   Page 7-3.
L of S

I wonder about that myself. I don't want to do the dealer where I bought my motorcycle a disservice, but the bike was in and out in about 45 minutes for the first service. While I was waiting to pay (a reasonable £50) the receptionist called another owner who had booked a service on the same day to cancel as one of the mechanics had "called in sick". I'm slightly cynical but it would surprise me pleasantly if they really did do any balancing of throttle bodies.

@johan

"I wonder about that myself. I don't want to do the dealer where I bought my motorcycle a disservice, but the bike was in and out in about 45 minutes for the first service."

When I called my dealer to get a quote on first service cost, the service rep said it calls for 1.5hrs labour. Maybe you have a really fast mechanic? LOL. I will be quizzing mine about EFI T/B synch.

2015 Matte Grey
Modded stock exhaust, modded stock screen, modded stock seat, OEM heated grips, LED indicators, FlashTuned ECU, ZX10R shock

L of S

I wonder about that myself. I don't want to do the dealer where I bought my motorcycle a disservice, but the bike was in and out in about 45 minutes for the first service. While I was waiting to pay (a reasonable £50) the receptionist called another owner who had booked a service on the same day to cancel as one of the mechanics had "called in sick". I'm slightly cynical but it would surprise me pleasantly if they really did do any balancing of throttle bodies.

Symptoms are getting harder to pick up on due to the advances with modern fuel injection. It can cover up the imbalance quite well.

With carbs, it's immediately noticeable if they are out of sync.

My advice would be to get it done if you want your bike to operate at its best. If you get it done and can't feel/tell a difference ? Then don't worry about it again until you've racked up some miles or feel the bike isn't idling as smoothly as it used to.

-skip

I've done about 1200 miles on my new tracer - one thing keeps bugging me. When I go from lights in standard mode, the revs take a power sapping dip as I let out the clutch - just for an instant, but enough that it's a pain. Initially I thought I was backing off the throttle unconsciously as I wasn't used to the sensitive throttle, but it doesn't do this in A mode. I just don't want to use A mode in town - it's too twitchy for my liking. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've found the only time I don't get this is if I give it quite fistful of throttle but that's just not realistic in town. For what its worth - this isn't my first bike - I have 6 years of riding experience and haven't found this on a bunch of other bikes I've ridden. 
It's fine once the bike is going, and from a slow pace it picks up fine - just from standstill it doesn't take off in a smooth way.
Are you inducing wheel spin?  That softens throttle response with TCS on.  How about B mode? They should have synched the throttle bodies at your 600 mile service, but Wessie is most likely right.  Also, if you have an Akrapovic Titanium exhaust, it has a power drop at 2800 to 3100 on the dyno chart. It was noticeable when I changed from the stock exhaust.  
2015 Grey FJ09 with a few tweaks, 2007 HD Street Glide - Good Bike + Good Friends = Good Day.

Nope, I'm not inducing wheel spin. It does it with the traction control switched off, and I think it does it in B mode too - will check on my way home. It's nothing disastrous but is noticeable and i'd rather have a smooth build of speed rather than the half second delay while it builds revs out of a slump when the clutch is released.

I'm on the stock exhaust. Must check if the throttle body sync was part of the service if I've still got the itemised breakdown...

This weekend's bit of fun will be trying the G2 throttle tamer which I haven't installed yet. If that gives a little more control over the rate of power delivery of A mode then I might just switch to A by default...

Archived