Reax Atlas Speedlock Tank Bag (from Cycle Gear)

I picked up a Reax Atlas tankbag for my 2020 Tracer 900 GT.   With the small metal area that is exposed on our tanks, bag size/shape is limited for magnetic bags and I am not a fan of strapping a bag to the tank.  On my previous bikes I have used SW Motech's quick release system with the Micro tank bag and loved it.  Came across the Reax system at Cycle Gear and it looked pretty good and was much cheaper to boot.

The mounting ring is a much more attractive piece of hardware when compared to the SW Motech mount.  Barely noticeable, IMO.

240711074_205453538234727_5602982086041014134_n.thumb.jpg.dc514ef7273d27cef500301c0db91b37.jpg

The bag itself is good for my purposes, which is a place for my phone, keys, wallet and maybe a bottle of water and a snack.  It does not expand.  Now, unlike the SW Motech bags, the mounting system does take up interior space.  Aside from the main compartment, there is a zippered pocket in the lid, which also features a space for your phone with a clear window.  So, if you need a lot of space, they do offer a larger bag, but I do not how how it would fit/look.

240430619_958298768398419_7481381096945272514_n.thumb.jpg.7b78be3e53a941ec457830cac00a03dc.jpg

Installation and removal is a snap.  Just slide the lever on the right hand side to open up the receiver and let go once in place.  There is no locking mechanism.

240699196_998449051009505_8186113992729518086_n.thumb.jpg.ed9c4f8b695a6558e2dcb36b33503c69.jpg

One final note, my bars have a 3/4" rise/pullback and the bag does not interfere with full lock.  If you have something more aggressive than that, it may interfere.  Stock bars should have no issues.

Edited to add a pic of what I would typically carry:

240830338_172912014952567_7952290725043604759_n.thumb.jpg.41f24757aa9a5cfd2de6014103878fe6.jpg

Edited by Butrzrulz
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

That tank ring looks identical to the Oxford ring on my 900GT.

It is indeed.  I believe that's who makes these for Cycle Gear.  In fact, they are currently carrying Oxford branded rings since their Reax branded ones are in short supply (figure that one out).

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

And the Reax / Oxford rings look like and appear could dig into your hand like a  wood auger bit...  No?

The older SW Mototech system I have (with both they're Engage and City tank bags), which has recently been supplanted by a new system I'm not yet familiar with but the tank ring looks similar), I like because it just snaps in place to install and, as you know, just takes a tug on a lanyard to remove.  Their tank ring while black is still unobtrusive and won't stab or snag anything.   However they are very pricey!  But you usually get what you pay for...

The Givi tank bag mount system also uses a side lever mechanism like the Reax / Oxford system but their bags can just be snapped in place to install and the lever used only for removal.  I also like the Givi mount because it does not encroach on interior bag volume as the SW Mototech system DOES (contrary to what you stated), though consequently it sits higher and none of their bags I've seen conform tighly to the shape of the tank as the Engage, and to a lesser extent, the City bags do.  The Givi tank ring is also black (stamped metal like the Reax/ Oxford, unlike the glass fiber reinforced nylon SW Mototech rings) but projects up uniformly in its circumference unlike the Reax / Oxford rings.

All food for thought.

BTW, I also have 2 magnet mount bags that very securely attach at least to my 15 FJ09s tank even with the SW Mototech ring in place but they are not quite as easy to use and can scratch paint. One is a mini 5 L Nelson Rigg and the other a 7.5 L off brand but also pretty decent quality (LMK if you want to know the brand).

Photos

1st Engage bag

2nd & 3rd City bag

Neither bag interferes at full lock with my slightly taller but more swept back Renthal 819 Street Naked Fatbars, which I shortened 1" overall in length, drilled & tapped for the OEM bar end inserts (with KTM Adventure hand guards), and packed full and solid with .177" diameter Daisy Copperhead BBs.

20201119_161509.jpg

20210702_160657.jpg

20210702_155234.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I bought two oxford Q4 bag quick release at the same time one for the GT and another for my XR1200. The only time the bags were out in the weather was when the bikes were being ridden. both zippers failed with in two years and both discolored pretty bad. I tried to get them replaced under Oxfords life time warranty, I called up Oxfords USA distributor and they  told me to take the bags back to were I bought then from. The only problem with that is I moved over 1000mi away from them, needless to say I have bought my last Oxford products.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

9 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

And the Reax / Oxford rings look like and appear could dig into your hand like a  wood auger bit...  No?

The older SW Mototech system I have (with both they're Engage and City tank bags), which has recently been supplanted by a new system I'm not yet familiar with but the tank ring looks similar), I like because it just snaps in place to install and, as you know, just takes a tug on a lanyard to remove.  Their tank ring while black is still unobtrusive and won't stab or snag anything.   However they are very pricey!  But you usually get what you pay for...

The Givi tank bag mount system also uses a side lever mechanism like the Reax / Oxford system but their bags can just be snapped in place to install and the lever used only for removal.  I also like the Givi mount because it does not encroach on interior bag volume as the SW Mototech system DOES (contrary to what you stated), though consequently it sits higher and none of their bags I've seen conform tighly to the shape of the tank as the Engage, and to a lesser extent, the City bags do.  The Givi tank ring is also black (stamped metal like the Reax/ Oxford, unlike the glass fiber reinforced nylon SW Mototech rings) but projects up uniformly in its circumference unlike the Reax / Oxford rings.

All food for thought.

BTW, I also have 2 magnet mount bags that very securely attach at least to my 15 FJ09s tank even with the SW Mototech ring in place but they are not quite as easy to use and can scratch paint. One is a mini 5 L Nelson Rigg and the other a 7.5 L off brand but also pretty decent quality (LMK if you want to know the brand).

Photos

1st Engage bag

2nd & 3rd City bag

Neither bag interferes at full lock with my slightly taller but more swept back Renthal 819 Street Naked Fatbars, which I shortened 1" overall in length, drilled & tapped for the OEM bar end inserts (with KTM Adventure hand guards), and packed full and solid with .177" diameter Daisy Copperhead BBs.

20201119_161509.jpg

20210702_160657.jpg

20210702_155234.jpg

That's the tank bag I use. The Motech City Bag. Carries all your essentials...AND the kitchen sink, LOL!

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, roadrash83 said:

I bought two oxford Q4 bag quick release at the same time one for the GT and another for my XR1200. The only time the bags were out in the weather was when the bikes were being ridden. both zippers failed with in two years and both discolored pretty bad. I tried to get them replaced under Oxfords life time warranty, I called up Oxfords USA distributor and they  told me to take the bags back to were I bought then from. The only problem with that is I moved over 1000mi away from them, needless to say I have bought my last Oxford products.

Like I said, you usually get what you pay for...

Not saying SW Motorway will honor their warranty any better...but it's not for a "lifetime"

But in 3 years my Engage still looks and functions as new.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, tktplz said:

That's the tank bag I use. The Motech City Bag. Carries all your essentials...AND the kitchen sink, LOL!

Yes, it's big but not their biggest, which IMO wouldn't work well on our bikes...

The smaller Engage is also nice for day trips, and not their smallest but best conforming.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

Like I said, you usually get what you pay for...

Not saying SW Motorway will honor their warranty any better...but it's not for a "lifetime"

But in 3 years my Engage still looks and functions as new.

You are correct, I just went with them because I had a part number for a ring that would work for the XR. They were great bags until the zippers bit the dust and pretty near water proof with in reason. I have the full catalog of SW Motech stuff on my KLR that has held up great and the HD factory accessory stuff for my Pan America is all made by SW Motech so that will be a no brainer.

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

You are correct, I just went with them because I had a part number for a ring that would work for the XR. They were great bags until the zippers bit the dust and pretty near water proof with in reason. I have the full catalog of SW Motech stuff on my KLR that has held up great and the HD factory accessory stuff for my Pan America is all made by SW Motech so that will be a no brainer.

You have the PA?!!!

I presume you like if not love it.  I read it's the hottest selling ADV.  It may just save HD. Now if they'd just release their naked version...

I like the newest Indian FTR series too.

• Supporting Member
2 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

It may just save HD. Now if they'd just release their naked version...

You can almost hear the chanting of the restless crowd:  “Bronx! Bronx!! Bronx!!!”

• Like 2

• Supporting Member
10 minutes ago, 2and3cylinders said:

You have the PA?!!!

I presume you like if not love it.  I read it's the hottest selling ADV.  It may just save HD. Now if they'd just release their naked version...

I like the newest Indian FTR series too.

I do love the bike and I also love the 900GT, there is just some thing about V-Twins and Triples. I have to say the fit and finish on the PA is much better than the GT and the suspension is neat. HD did the guy who is looking for performance up grades a solid, the heads and cylinders can come off with the engine in the frame from what I have been told. I'm still waiting for the Bronx with the 1250cc engine in it, I bet they can get that to come in around 450Lbs. 

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
21 minutes ago, roadrash83 said:

here is just some thing about V-Twins and Triples.

Yep but I still may prefer my sport tour modded 98 VTR1000F for pure road work over the PA.  Now a 1250 Bronx - FTR1200S shootout would be interesting.

https://www.indianmotorcycle.com/en-us/ftr1200-s/

And 2-smoke street twins like my 350# RD400 (hence my "handle") are truly a major hoot!!!