S 1000 XR Info Please

Hey, anyone have experience with the S 1000 XR BMW?

I am looking at a 2016 model but it has low suspension option.

I am 220 lbs wet and I don’t want to be dragging pegs or bottoming out!

Please let me know about your experiences with the XR.

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Premium Member

I read early models had vibration issues. I think they were sorted out a couple of years later. Maybe BMW came up with a fix.

I've had my eye on them for a while. I like the triple black. Definitely an FJ on steroids.

It’s a seriously mad machine. 
I borrow my mates 18 model now and then, it still has a high frequency vibration that really annoys me, but there’s no doubt about its ability. 
Think of the Tracer with 50 more horsepower, much better suspension, nearly the same weight and top notch electronics. 
It’s a weapon. 

Edited by OZVFR
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I had every intention of buying one when I had to sell my 14 S1000rr because of my neck. I test rode a 2017 and a 2018 and I could not take the vibration (nerve damage). So I bought my 900GT and didn't look back.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

• 3 weeks later...

Echo what the above sentiments are. Early bikes have been renowned for the the high bar vibrations, but the newer ones (2020 onwards) have apparently had this addressed. Plus these will have the exceptional electronics including the TFT which is *phenomenal*. It's all about the motor against the electronics for me. I'm looking at the RS in future, not the XR. Boxer twin and all the TFT embellishments. Dunno if I can drag myself away from the CP3 though! It's SUCH a good lump!

Thanks all. I passed on the XR because of the low suspension.  A major expense to reverse.  I did use the XR forum and it was great.  But lots of stories of hitting bottom and dragging pegs

The last thing I want is another bike I’ll worry about whacking over a speed bump.  Already got one of those :))

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09