PSA: Avoid Berryessa Knoxville Rd in NorCal. 

maximo

PSA: Avoid Berryessa Knoxville Rd in NorCal. 

This little road used to be one of my favorite quirky roads to ride. It’s a goat trail in this little valley that is incredibly remote, gorgeous as can be in the spring, and exciting to ride due to the half dozen water crossings (there are no bridges, so every time you cross the creek you ride on a paved section of the creek bed – slick as snot, so you have to do it right. Now, it was never a good surface section of road, but the few potholes and short sections of chip seal gave the middle section of the road character. Along with the water crossings, it almost felt like you were riding off road, but on a paved surface.

This road is connected at the top and bottom to other incredible sections of road, with glassy pavement, little traffic, perfectly banked curves, etc.

It had been a few years since I last rode it, so I went there yesterday and I was shocked at how badly the road had deteriorated, specifically the middle section. Then I remembered that the area has been ravaged by wildfires several times, and that a lot of firefighting heavy equipment has used the road. This left the road in shambles. The road is just wide enough for a single car, and in some places the height difference between one wheel track and the other was over 2 feet.

It was an uncomfortable ride, and one that I’m glad that I finished without getting hurt. Sadly, I think this road is going to be off limits for quite some time.

https://goo.gl/maps/3SUN1Ag517dMcGg4A

• Thanks 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

KLR riders inbound...

But seriously, I really, really hate paved creek crossings. I've ridden on ice with more available traction than that algae. Gravel and rocks are far less dangerous.

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

I used to love Knoxville-Berryessa when I lived in the area. Rode it all the time, even on the Daytona. However, it sounds like a few years ago it was a very different road. I absolutely loved taking the supermoto out there. Honestly, probably would still like it on the SM. 

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

• Premium Member

I rode it a few years ago. Usually turn left at the bathroom on the left. Decided to go straight one day. Kind of sketchy for 30 minutes, then a great road into Lower Lake. 

• Thumbsup 1

I remember doing those water crossings on the Daytona 675...

One time it was relatively high flows. With the amount of splash, I would have soaked my feet & lower legs. So I had a stroke of genius, superman! I kicked my feet out behind me, leaned way forward and realized just exactly how bad my nuts were going to get squished. But hey, my feet were dry.

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

On 9/10/2021 at 5:53 AM, koth442 said:

I used to love Knoxville-Berryessa when I lived in the area. Rode it all the time, even on the Daytona. However, it sounds like a few years ago it was a very different road. I absolutely loved taking the supermoto out there. Honestly, probably would still like it on the SM. 

I've taken the FJ09, the K1200GT, the cruise ship ST1100, my trusty SV650, and the FJ1200 on this road. They've all been enjoyable in different ways, even the land barges. But the road has deteriorated so much in the past few years that now it's just sketchy and dangerous in parts.  

Yeah, a SM would be right at home, as would the KLR Anvil. Those would be spot on for what it's become. 

• Thumbsup 1

’70 Yamaha 125 Enduro; ’75 Honda CB360T; ’81 Yamaha XS650SH; ’82 Honda GL650 Silver Wing Interstate; ’82 Suzuki GS650L; ’87 Yamaha Virago 535; ’87 Yamaha FJ1200; ’96 Honda ST1100; ’99 Yamaha V-Star Classic; ’00 Suzuki SV650; ’07 BMW K1200GT; ’12 Suzuki DR200; ’15 Yamaha FJ-09.  Bold = current

10 hours ago, maximo said:

I've taken the FJ09, the K1200GT, the cruise ship ST1100, my trusty SV650, and the FJ1200 on this road. They've all been enjoyable in different ways, even the land barges. But the road has deteriorated so much in the past few years that now it's just sketchy and dangerous in parts.  

Yeah, a SM would be right at home, as would the KLR Anvil. Those would be spot on for what it's become. 

Gotcha, bummer it's deteriorated so badly.

I actually rode the SM to work today. Was thinking about how I'm at the wrong Knoxville for this bike haha!

• Thumbsup 1

'15 FJ09

I stoped at the bridge Friday on Berryessa Knoxville and saw two trucks pulling jet ski boats going straight towards Lower Lake. I guess they thought it was a direct road to Clear Lake. Wonder if they’re still there stuck in a creek crossing.

• Thumbsup 1

8 hours ago, Old Bob said:

I stoped at the bridge Friday on Berryessa Knoxville and saw two trucks pulling jet ski boats going straight towards Lower Lake. I guess they thought it was a direct road to Clear Lake. Wonder if they’re still there stuck in a creek crossing.

They probably made it as far as the RV that was stuck somewhere in there...  

9 hours ago, Old Bob said:

Also, Old Bob, apropos of lovable goat trails, have you ridden Coleman Valley Rd lately? I see you're in SR, which is my hometown, and my favorite way to get out to the coast is Graton Rd to Occidental, then out Coleman Valley. As long as I've ridden it the road's been pretty choppy. But maybe it hasn't gotten worse? 

19 hours ago, maximo said:

Also, Old Bob, apropos of lovable goat trails, have you ridden Coleman Valley Rd lately? I see you're in SR, which is my hometown, and my favorite way to get out to the coast is Graton Rd to Occidental, then out Coleman Valley. As long as I've ridden it the road's been pretty choppy. But maybe it hasn't gotten worse? 

I ride the coast roads and the inland roads once a week. the coast are still the same and around the lakes are a little torn up from the fires, but still fun.

• Thumbsup 1