DIY GPS Mount - Finally Acceptable

j-bone

OK, all. I literally tried just about everything I could think of before landing on this setup.

Just wanted to share with you guys in case anyone would like to try to implement something similar. 

I'm using a Garmin GPS with the snap in cradle mount (see photos below). The particular unit I used is a 6.95" screen unit called the DriveSmart 7. I even loaded a motorcycle icon as my GPS vehicle. 🤣

This is quite simple. 

I purchased this 2 pack of 17mm ball mounts (what these GPS clips accept), which accept a 1/4" x 20 camera bolt (like this...)

17mm ball mount:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096MDW6B8?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Camera 1/4 x 20 tpi bolt:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KQXJ66A/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_3BC1MD0SPMNRW69GED42

I drilled right into the top of the windshield adjustment handle, and screwed one of the camera bolts into it.

I then made a simple spring to press against the bottom of the GPS. This was an afterthought, as the GPS would end up slouching if I hit any major bumps in the road (which we do quite frequently here in PA).

I just used some thin steel wire and needle nose pliers to do this. Not necessary, but helpful.

I then screwed the 17mm ball mount on top of the camera screw, shimmed with one washer to ensure it was tight when in proper position. 

Simply clip the ball into the GPS mount and the mount to the GPS.

The top corners of the GPS sit right against the windshield, and the GPS is right in the perfect place, right below line or sight.

Would love to see what works well for you all. 

20210910_234632.jpg

20210910_234326.jpg

20210910_234726.jpg

Edited by j-bone
Typo
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

• Supporting Member

Very nicely done j-bone👍  I thought about doing something very similar for my phone not long ago.  Even went as far as looking up what the cost of the parts would be if I screwed up. I better get off my ass and do it.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

21 hours ago, Grumpy Goat said:

Nice job. Does the windscreen adjuster still work?

Thanks! Yes, adjuster works exactly as normal. 

15 hours ago, Butrzrulz said:

While I like this version of GPS mounting, I'm too OCD and would have to remove the adjuster and mill the space flat so the washer would lay down.  It would drive me bonkers having that washer not laying flat, lol.

I hear you. If the whole setup wasn't completely hidden by the GPS 99% of the time, I'd probably try to do the same. Although, I'd end up making it look worse if I tried it. 🤣

• Thumbsup 1

7 hours ago, bowlin01 said:

Great DIY solution, or alternatively buy this.....

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203076846886?hash=item2f4852c526:g:F2cAAOSwSnZeyU6o

I couldn't justify the $60 for this, knowing I could accomplish the same for less than $10.

Thanks for posting here though, makes total sense for those that don't want to drill a hole into the windshield adjuster.

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

I think I posted about this a year or so back, but when I got my Tracer, I added a  Madstad windscreen and was able to mount a Ram Ball mount on the Tracer front bracket. This allowed me to position the GPS just above my instrument panel for easy viewing and I can quickly remove the GPS if I need to go somewhere where I'm not comfortable leaving it in the mount.

GPS-2.jpeg

GPS Mount 1.jpeg

• Thumbsup 1