RTFM-ing for 8K maintenance

Warchild

I am ~150 miles tardy  for the 8K maintenance. Wanted to take wifely out for a spin today, so after finishing up the oil change, I thought it best to quickly RTFM to ensure I didn't miss anything.

ACK! The 8K maintenance task schedule is the bigger one: spark plugs/air filter/throttle-body synch.... doesn't look like we are taking the Tracer today. Except maybe to the dealership to buy parts. 

I'm sure we have a gazillion threads on replacing plugs/air filters and synch-ing TB's.... thought I saw a dedicated forum on it before, can't seem to find it now. If anyone can point out a linky-link, I'd appreciate it

And I think I'd better wash this bike before I starting disassembling... 🙄

8Kmaintenance.thumb.jpg.1e10cd89ddcb3383ae09f14ebbf50fc5.jpg

• Supporting Member
14 minutes ago, Warchild said:

ACK! The 8K maintenance task schedule is the bigger one: spark plugs/air filter/throttle-body synch.... doesn't look like we are taking the Tracer today. Except maybe to the dealership to buy parts.

Nothing to worry about worth canceling a day of riding.  The spark plugs and air filter don't know if you are 500 miles over the 'recommended' service mileage. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

All true enough... had just forgotten that the 8K maint has the more tasks involved. Since I am confident my ancient mercury sticks were lost long ago, gotta wait for the new CarbTune to arrive anyway, before I start yanking panels. We'll ride the bike till then.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Warchild said:

All true enough... had just forgotten that the 8K maint has the more tasks involved. Since I am confident my ancient mercury sticks were lost long ago, gotta wait for the new CarbTune to arrive anyway, before I start yanking panels. We'll ride the bike till then.

Still have the budget set I got in the mid-80’s. Piece of fiberboard, four glass tubes stuck in a plastic reservoir w/an o-ring around the top holding it all together…

• Supporting Member
11 minutes ago, micah2074 said:

I run my plugs longer than 8k. Usually quadruple that and they still look good. 

Agreed.  I usually change them somewhere around 20k-22k miles.  I am almost at 65k miles and recently installed the bikes 4th set of plugs.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

I replaced mine at 11,000 miles.  Old plugs didn't look too bad would have probably gone to 16,000 miles.  I did all the 12,000 mile stuff including syncing the throttle bodies.  Now less than 4 weeks later I'm at 17,500 and needing to do more stuff.  Will probably have or do the valve check before next long trip.  While I was doing TB sync and plugs I changed the air filter.  Some of the stuff I didnt worry as much about as have 17,500 miles in a year (plus 2 weeks).  My bike has lots of miles in 6th gear at steady cruse.  IMO the manual is for everyone including those who are ridding a lot harder and not putting on as many miles in a short period.  

3 hours ago, nigel5 said:

I do wonder why service interval are shorter in the US for the same bike we get in the UK, my service intervals are 6,000 miles and plugs at 12,000, no way would I replace plugs at 8,000 miles!

I usually split the difference and complete the maintenance at 5000 mile intervals unless I have a big ride coming up.

On 9/11/2021 at 12:28 PM, thewrenchbender said:

Still have the budget set I got in the mid-80’s. Piece of fiberboard, four glass tubes stuck in a plastic reservoir w/an o-ring around the top holding it all together…

Yep....me too. From my Suzuki Bandit days. That mercury will last forever as long as you don't break or spill. (Or let it absorb into your bloodstream)

Valve check is on my list now at 17,500 miles.

Think the difference between the 4,000 and 6,000 miles on services may be due to so many bikes in the US not being ridden that much.  I just did a 6,200 mile trip and that plus the 100 before the trip means my oil is at 6,300 miles.  More than I would like but many miles of the 6,000 in 6th gear running between 45 and 80 MPH.  Not hard use at all.  Did have some spirited riding in there but the vast majority of miles in 6th.  If I wasn't lazy I could calculate an estimated revolutions versus 4,000 miles of local riding with starts and stops and more cold starts.  

1 hour ago, PhotoAl said:

Valve check is on my list now at 17,500 miles.

Think the difference between the 4,000 and 6,000 miles on services may be due to so many bikes in the US not being ridden that much.  I just did a 6,200 mile trip and that plus the 100 before the trip means my oil is at 6,300 miles.  More than I would like but many miles of the 6,000 in 6th gear running between 45 and 80 MPH.  Not hard use at all.  Did have some spirited riding in there but the vast majority of miles in 6th.  If I wasn't lazy I could calculate an estimated revolutions versus 4,000 miles of local riding with starts and stops and more cold starts.  

Let us all know what your valves are at 17500 miles.

I'm trying to find a good mileage to do mine. So far aiming for 16k miles, the usual Honda interval.  My shim type Honda's never needed an adjustment the whole time I owned them though.

There is a rumor regarding our plugs:  They need to be spun loose every 8k miles so you can get em out when they really need to be replaced at say, 40k miles.

I know of no engine that needs plugs every 8k!

• Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

Here are my plugs after 11,000 miles.  Not bad at all IMO.  I've done a lot of longer distance riding and not so much playing on the twisty roads so relative to someone who plays in the curves and shifts near the redline they don't have so many sparks.  

I think 16,000 would be a good time to check valves.  Apparently the CP3 engines do need adjustments more than others.  My FZ6 was right on the specs at 26,000 miles.  My 2012 CBR600RR was close and only had to change a couple of shims at 16,000 miles.

IMG_0257.thumb.jpg.b8ce32b5f0a0db46ac113d3016ffb37c.jpg