• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Cruise control clutch switch

Just a heads up.

After the brake switch recall we had this year, I am now suffering of the same symptoms caused by the clutch switch.

Random disengage or unable to engage. Wiggeling the clutch lever solves it temporarely.

Switch will be replaced under warranty (I still have 1 month warranty…).  Maybe I am just unlucky, maybe more of us will get the same failure.

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, Fleng said:

Just a heads up.

After the brake switch recall we had this year, I am now suffering of the same symptoms caused by the clutch switch.

Random disengage or unable to engage. Wiggeling the clutch lever solves it temporarely.

Switch will be replaced under warranty (I still have 1 month warranty…).  Maybe I am just unlucky, maybe more of us will get the same failure.

Not that I'm happy to read this, but am somewhat relieved. I just did chain, sprockets, and tires changing and upon my initial ride after all that, mine would disengage each time a couple seconds after activating the cruise control.

On 9/14/2021 at 2:28 PM, Fleng said:

Just a heads up.

In the end, it was not the switch, but the cable. After 17000 km it was a bit loose. Not much, but the clutch handle had now some play and actuated the switch at every bump in the road. Not something you look at all the time.

Tightened the cable with the knurled knob at the handle a bit more, and all worked again as advertised.

• Premium Member
26 minutes ago, Fleng said:

In the end, it was not the switch, but the cable. After 17000 km it was a bit loose. Not much, but the clutch handle had now some play and actuated the switch at every bump in the road. Not something you look at all the time.

Tightened the cable with the knurled knob at the handle a bit more, and all worked again as advertised.

I have almost 17,000 miles on mine so I just tried that.  I'll report back after I can take it for a quick spin between the rain here.  

I'm still wondering why the bike has a feeling of it "dragging" a bit under throttle since changing out the stock gearing for a -1 on the countershaft sprocket.

• Premium Member

Between the raindrops, I took the bike out for a test after realigning the rear wheel with my replacement Motion Pro alignment tool and spinning the knurled wheel for the clutch cable a bit.  While the cruise would hold for about 5-10 seconds this time, it still disengaged each time I set it.

I'm at a loss.

2019 and 18k miles.  I occasionally have to push the clutch lever outwards to its full travel to get the CC to engage.  I put it down to having the clutch adjusted pretty loose.  That's how I like it.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, vincep said:

2019 and 18k miles.  I occasionally have to push the clutch lever outwards to its full travel to get the CC to engage.  I put it down to having the clutch adjusted pretty loose.  That's how I like it.

I actually did do that while going down the road, pushing it out and holding it there.  I attributed that to possibly why it would hold longer, but even while I held it pushed out, it still disengaged.  

Then it might not be the clutch switch but one of the two brake switches.

Did you check clearance of the aft brake switch? Maybe adjusted the brake pedal and the switch is now too close?

Just my 2c.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, Fleng said:

Did you check clearance of the aft brake switch? Maybe adjusted the brake pedal and the switch is now too close?

Just my 2c.

I haven’t adjusted either brake switch but I guess it would be prudent to check them at least. Thanks. 

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Fleng said:

Just my 2c.

1 hour ago, 3sum said:

I haven’t adjusted either brake switch but I guess it would be prudent to check them at least. Thanks. 

The brake light switch may or my not be the issue but regardless *in my opinion* it's a crude piece of crap design.  Completely exposed to the elements and road grime and oils, I had mine apart several times due to sticking either on or off.  I replaced it with a hydraulic switch several years ago and have never had another brake light switch issue.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spiegler-brake-light-switch

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, betoney said:

The brake light switch may or my not be the issue but regardless *in my opinion* it's a crude piece of crap design.  Completely exposed to the elements and road grime and oils, I had mine apart several times due to sticking either on or off.  I replaced it with a hydraulic switch several years ago and have never had another brake light switch issue.

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/spiegler-brake-light-switch

Is it the course or fine version? I have no problem spending $20 to change it out.  

• Supporting Member
55 minutes ago, 3sum said:

Is it the course or fine version? I have no problem spending $20 to change it out.  

I bought the Spiegler switch (M10x1.25).

This was my 'gunked-up' oem brake switch.

IMG_1026.thumb.jpg.e94a5c17f7949425f059d11e6ee93b47.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

Ok, I've been messing with this off and on for the last couple weeks.  I've adjusted the clutch play at the perch and it hasn't gotten worse, but hasn't gotten better either.  It still holds for about 10-15 seconds the first time I engage the cruise and then each subsequent attempt will disengage after a couple seconds.

I was doing some Googling today and this seems to be an issue with other Yamahas.  I've read on both the MT10 board and Super Ten board that other bikes have had this issue.