Northern Virginia to Johnson City TN (and surrounds)

vincep

Road Runner magazine had an article on Johnson City and a planned Clover Leaf Ride - four loops out of one central location.  June 2021 edition.

A riding buddy and I took five days to get from Northern VA to Johnson City, do the loops and home.  Plan was for no freeway and routes we had not done before.  Although small mileage each day we did eight hours in the saddle each day.  Was a ton of fun and about 1,800 miles all up for me with very little traffic and perfect weather.

900 GT ran great as always. 

Day 1:  Arlington VA to Christiansburg VA:  Although the roads were known to us, always like 614; 678 (George Washington National Forest); 18; and 311.

Day 2:  Christiansburg to Johnson City via one of the Road Runner Loops taking in Little Switzerland.  Route 194; 226 Alt into little Switzerland - very tight!; 221; 80 and 88 (keepers); 197 and 226 through Pisgah National Forest.  A top day.  Image is from Little Switzerland - every day had these same images and clear skies (well some smoke haze from the fires out west.

Day 3:  197 south out of Johnson City - though we did turn back on 197 due to five miles of dirt in a very twisty part; Baileys Branch Road; 209; 212.

Day 4:  South and Southeast of Johnson City.  Ride over Roan Mtn was great.  143 and 261.  80 and 197 - different sections than before.

Day 5:  Princeton WV to home.  More great routes - including the Pocahontas Hwy.

A terrific five days, and roads built for the Tracer.

2021 Johnson City Trip.jpg

20210910_131515.jpg

• Thumbsup 3

• 3 weeks later...

Great trip report.  I've not been in that area hardly at all even though I'm from Chattanooga.  That's only a day from me and could make a great 4 or 5 day trip.  I've been thinking about some closer to home trips, usually avoid going north and east as I try and avoid cities.  LOL all roads go to Chattanooga and STOP!  

For those looking for a way around Chattanooga if going south.  Last week left East Ridge, just NE of Chattanooga) and meandered thru the city and took highway 41 around Lookout Mountain.  Not too bad but 41 had a major bottleneck just after it leaves Lookout Mountain so not really faster than 10mph on interstate.  Took 148 (Scenic Highway) up Lookout Mountain then down the top of the mountain to Trenton GA where I took Burkhalter Gap road down to Trenton and I59.