Winter approaching - handlebar muff help!

PaulS

Before I start, I know handlebar muffs aren't for everyone and look rubbish. That said, I've been riding for years and am too old to care on the visuals, I just need warm hands in the winter. Muffs plus heated grips are heaven, so here in the UK just normal gloves required for a frosty commute. Is there a muff that will live around/within the handguard on a 2019 GT?  

Too far away to be of help but years ago I bought a set of hippo hands to use on my dual sport bikes. Never did use them, still have the set unused in the original box. Shipping would be ridiculous. Good luck, and I agree, the older we get the less important visuals are.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
15 minutes ago, TomTracer said:

Too far away to be of help but years ago I bought a set of hippo hands to use on my dual sport bikes. Never did use them, still have the set unused in the original box. Shipping would be ridiculous. Good luck, and I agree, the older we get the less important visuals are.

I had a set of hippo hands and they were huge if I recall.  Which model do you have and just for yucks, how much would you part with them for?

I'm seriously considering the other ones poste, even though I have the KTM Adventurer handguards and the oem heated grips; as well as the warm n safe heavy armored heated gloves that connect  to the heated jacket liner powered by their dual heattroller.  I also have an old heated heated vest that I wear in less challenging weather, though it's a little tight on me.  LOL 😂

I really like the ones from ODR ADV Gear.  Looks like they would keep the wind off yet be easy to hands in and out of.    The little coldish riding I've done the heated grips worked well and the hand guards do keep some wind off but fingers are warm on one side and cold on the other!  Going over Beartooth Pass it got down to the upper 30s F and wasn't too bad but didn't spend a lot of time in those temps.  I always take my Warm and Safer jacket liner with me - is almost perfect at keeping me from encountering cold weather haha.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I had a set of guards that I used on my 900 GT that were not huge. That did a good enough job that I could ride in the low30's with  my spring-summer gloves and grip heaters. They played real nice the stock hand guards to. I will have to look for them and send them down the road, not much calling for them in Florida.

He who dies with the most toys wins.

3 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I had a set of hippo hands and they were huge if I recall.  Which model do you have and just for yucks, how much would you part with them for?

I'm seriously considering the other ones poste, even though I have the KTM Adventurer handguards and the oem heated grips; as well as the warm n safe heavy armored heated gloves that connect  to the heated jacket liner powered by their dual heattroller.  I also have an old heated heated vest that I wear in less challenging weather, though it's a little tight on me.  LOL 😂

I'll look for them in the morning.  I don't remember the model, I never put them on either bike. I'll pm you.

10 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

I really like the ones from ODR ADV Gear.  Looks like they would keep the wind off yet be easy to hands in and out of.    The little coldish riding I've done the heated grips worked well and the hand guards do keep some wind off but fingers are warm on one side and cold on the other!  Going over Beartooth Pass it got down to the upper 30s F and wasn't too bad but didn't spend a lot of time in those temps.  I always take my Warm and Safer jacket liner with me - is almost perfect at keeping me from encountering cold weather haha.  

Al, several years ago a couple of us took a guy who rode an Indian over Bear Tooth Pass, there was spotty ice on the roadway and snow piled up at least 5' deep at the summit, temps in the mid 30's. The we told the guy what to expect, I had on lined riding pants, base layers, Tour Master heated liner and gloves, heated grips, neck wrap, the whole 9 yards. Despite our many urgings the guy wore jeans, unlined leather chaps, and a lined leather coat, cheap lined gloves. I was freezing, this guy was nearly frozen. Once over the summit we stopped on descent at the restrooms on the Red Lodge side of the pass. The guy had to do everything possible to get his hands warm so his fingers would work on his zipper. None of us were willing to help him with his zipper nor the next step to relieve himself. Eventually the guy got it done and was laughing almost as hysterically as the rest of us.!😂

Never ever do I get tired of Bear Tooth Pass!

Edited by TomTracer
typos
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2