Review of the 3D printer Sat Nav Mount from England and how well it plays with the MRA Vario Touring screen

countersteer

Heard about the mount on this forum.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/203076846886?hash=item2f4852c526:g:F2cAAOSwSnZeyU6o

It's easy to install and and it's a clever design.  The plastic feels substantial, so I'm cautiously optimistic about durability.   I did add some stainless steel lock washers to the two bolts that secure the mount to the sides of the screen mount assembly. Don't know that they're needed but washers are cheap

Only a week and 800 miles in but so far I'm very happy with it.  Puts the GPS just where I want it.  Screen height is still adjustable albeit a bit awkward when you're on the move, not that I would ever do that.  I'll let the pictures tell the rest.  FWIW, seat is in low position with an Air Hawk, I'm 5-11, and the screen is in the low position.

IMG_0083.jpg

IMG_0074.jpg

IMG_0078 1.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

The MRW screen spoiler adjustable mounting system is substantially different and beefier than their Xcreen Tour spoiler mount design, which is much more streamlined, smaller and less obtrusive but the MRW combination screen and spoiler certainly looks bulletproof!

Where did you buy it from and for how much, and I presume they make a clear version?

Thx

I've had mine for a 1 year and it's still going strong.  Thread lock applied to ram ball mount, as recommended in the instructions.  I probably added thread lock to the side screws as well but I can't remember if I did, I just normally use thread lock on stuff like this.  It's been mounted for 6000 miles and no problems at all, I also have an MRA vario screen, I'm just about to change it for a Puig sports screen so will see what that is like.

Mine has a TomTom Rider 400 mounted and the view of the satnav is fantastic, the high mount position means it is easy to view.  I've not had any problems with glare on the screen in this position (I assume you added the glare shield as I don't believe this is included with the mount, unless Steven has changed the design?) This is the best satnav mount I have ever used, Steven has done a fantastic job on this.  Mounting on the handle bars, as I have done on previous bikes always meant looking down a long way but this high position is much better.

I can't recommend this mount highly enough it is the dogs nadgers 🙂  Steven lists it as shipping worldwide so no excuse not to buy one.

Edited by Cornersruns
  • Thumbsup 1

image.thumb.png.437379fa1d2b1a9ea9105bfe92b41ed4.png

I have the same setup: MRA touring (minus the vario part) on the same mount.

I'm also very happy with it. The position is great and it's protected from the elements. It's so snug that it even looks difficult to remove, so I often just leave it on there while I'm parked. You actually just loosen the thumb screw and it clicks off, super easy.

I highly recommend the mount. The Tomtom not so much. I'm still waiting for a startup to bring satnavs anywhere near the cutting edge tech and ease of use that smartphone companies provide. Garmin and Tomtom both dropped the ball IMO but that is another discussion. At least I have a great mount.

Edited by petshark

It flows a lot of air, but that air flow is much cleaner than stock.  It not as clean as running with no shield but with a GPS, a radar detector, and dry eyes,  I felt like I needed some kind of shield.  I run it in the low position as it's a tad quieter.  Getting earplugs properly seated is important for volume control.  I also found this to be true when running without a shield.  Helmet likely plays a role here.  Pretty sure that a 5 year old Neotec is not the quietest lid out there.

I also have a Madstad that does a much better job of reducing noise but it feels more like a motorcycle with the MRA.  How's that for subjective?

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, pokey074 said:

Really like this mount. Now I just need my mechanic to wire in power to the ignition…

It is a much too simple project to pay someone else to do it.  The switched aux. 12v plugs are right behind the instrument gauge waiting for you to use, just splice into one of them. 

Here is a Garmin hardwire power cable.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

21 hours ago, betoney said:

It is a much too simple project to pay someone else to do it.  The switched aux. 12v plugs are right behind the instrument gauge waiting for you to use, just splice into one of them. 

Here is a Garmin hardwire power cable.

https://www.gpscity.com/garmin-usb-power-cable

Edited by pokey074

On 9/17/2021 at 5:16 AM, Cornersruns said:

I've had mine for a 1 year and it's still going strong.  Thread lock applied to ram ball mount, as recommended in the instructions.  I probably added thread lock to the side screws as well but I can't remember if I did, I just normally use thread lock on stuff like this.  It's been mounted for 6000 miles and no problems at all, I also have an MRA vario screen, I'm just about to change it for a Puig sports screen so will see what that is like.

Mine has a TomTom Rider 400 mounted and the view of the satnav is fantastic, the high mount position means it is easy to view.  I've not had any problems with glare on the screen in this position (I assume you added the glare shield as I don't believe this is included with the mount, unless Steven has changed the design?) This is the best satnav mount I have ever used, Steven has done a fantastic job on this.  Mounting on the handle bars, as I have done on previous bikes always meant looking down a long way but this high position is much better.

I can't recommend this mount highly enough it is the dogs nadgers 🙂  Steven lists it as shipping worldwide so no excuse not to buy one.

I like this setup and was wondering about durability when I saw you have had it for 6,000 miles.  I also have the MRA windscreen with a cheap Amazon X-Wing.  When passing trucks and in windy conditions it does tend to move around but with 15,000 miles on it so far I'm happy.  Currently running a handlebar mount.

Still not nuts about the Garmin Zumo XT.  Agree with someone needs to bring phone level navigation to these devices.  I have an iPhone 10S that the camera was messed up by my old bike and then the facial recognition died.  Have thought about using it as a navigation device.

The sat-nav mount is a nice setup, with a much better line of sight of the GPS. The price is also great.

What I'm worried about, however, is the force exerted on the plastic windscreen mount. My Garmin Zumo is quite heavy and with the arm that attaches to the ball mount there will be additional leverage on the windscreen mount.

Another thing - there is discussion on this forum that a GPS mounted directly above the instrument panel would be affected by interference from the panel. Has this been experienced by anyone?

2 hours ago, Pupsi said:

The sat-nav mount is a nice setup, with a much better line of sight of the GPS. The price is also great.

What I'm worried about, however, is the force exerted on the plastic windscreen mount. My Garmin Zumo is quite heavy and with the arm that attaches to the ball mount there will be additional leverage on the windscreen mount.

Another thing - there is discussion on this forum that a GPS mounted directly above the instrument panel would be affected by interference from the panel. Has this been experienced by anyone?

All I can say is with the tomtom rider, not sure how the weight compares to the Garmin but it is a heavy unit, on a ram ball arm there are no signs of fatigue on any of the bike or mount components.

I've never had any interference issues with the TomTom, from what I remember reading it was only Garmins that suffered from interference.