lowering handlebars

Skidood

So today on a longer ride, I started feeling the desire to be leaning forward more while keeping my arms straight or close to it..  I have lower back pain and frequently rotate my hips for awhile while riding, keeping my lower back straight or concave vs. curved outwards...kinda like sticking my butt out....more along the lines of a sportbike posture.  The ~ 4 inch standoffs that the handlebar is mounted on, I'm wondering if there are shorter ones available in the aftermarket?  (I know longer ones are).

• Supporting Member

Yep!   I did this with 60mm Rizoma risers, and I’ve really liked the lower handlebar setup on my FJ.   I can’t guarantee the same figment for the Tracer GT, since I don’t know if the tank trim and bar clearance are the same… it gets very tight when you get the bars down an extra inch or so.  

Start here, then click though and follow the thread with my original install notes, photos, and feedback:  

-Scott

• Thumbsup 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Yep!   I did this with 60mm Rizoma risers, and I’ve really liked the lower handlebar setup on my FJ.   I can’t guarantee the same figment for the Tracer GT, since I don’t know if the tank trim and bar clearance are the same… it gets very tight when you get the bars down an extra inch or so.  

Start here, then click though and follow the thread with my original install notes, photos, and feedback:  

-Scott

I read thru it.  Thank you.    I see you recommend removing the fuel tank....ugh....not feeling that ambitious. 🤔

• Premium Member

See my 4-27-19 post with photos on page 2 of the referenced thread.  Replacement handlebars are another option and can be equally easy and inexpensive.  Unfortunately, my own C4~6 and L3~5 discs cried foul and I eventually went to bars with more rise and especially sweep than OEM (Renthal Street Naked). 

But the Outlaw Racing TH-08 “Low” Black 1-1/8” Handlebars (shortened 18 mm w-ends drilled & tapped M16 x 1.5 x 30 for OEM M8 threaded bar end inserts) really were great; especially when packed full & solid with Crosman Copperhead BBs.

It's now 4+ weeks after decompression, fixation and fusion of L3~5 and I feel great (but still can't ride for at least three months and by then winter will be here), and then after a Button TURP, left rotator cuff repair and maybe even fixing C4~6, by late next spring I may be able in shape to reinstall the Outlaws! 😉

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
58 minutes ago, Skidood said:

I read thru it.  Thank you.    I see you recommend removing the fuel tank....ugh....not feeling that ambitious. 🤔

I felt like removing the tank made the process easier, but certainly it isn’t a requirement.   You can get to the riser bolts on the bottom of the upper triple clamp with a series of long extensions & a swivel socket, so that’s definitely an option.   The bolts for the Rizoma risers have a larger head (17 mm maybe?), which makes it even tighter under the clamp, and for me it felt right to just use a socket and ratchet coming directly in from the fuel tank side.   

It’s really a worthwhile mod if you’re looking for a slightly more sporting riding position.  

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

I felt like removing the tank made the process easier, but certainly it isn’t a requirement.   You can get to the riser bolts on the bottom of the upper triple clamp with a series of long extensions & a swivel socket, so that’s definitely an option.

Yes I saw that they can be accessed from below preferably with a u-joint on your socket...My OEM risers are in the default position (handlebar closer to me) and due to the angle of the risers, I see that rotating them 180 will also bring the handle bar upwards about 5-10 mm..  This is good because I will need that extra space.....if I don't rotate them to the forward position,  the 60 mm Rizoma risers will cause (at full left stop) contact between the tank overlay panel and the bottom of the clutch switch.  Note, I rotated the clutch lever assembly downwards a bit  awhile ago, which brought the switch about 5mm closer to the tank panel.  I will probably go ahead with this .  By the way, I wonder if that cosmetic overlay panel is present on the FJ-09.   If its not present, that means FJ-09 owners have more clearance with the bars at the stops.   

I have longer than average arms....and I think this is why I could really use this mod.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

@Skidood - I knew I had posted some final photos... just had to find them.    You can see the fitment and clearances here:

These Rizoma risers have the same offset concept as the factory risers, and I installed mine with the riser rotated to move the bar as far away/forward as possible.   It takes a bit of fiddling to get everything to clear, but nothing major... You'll like it.  :)

• Like 1

22 hours ago, texscottyd said:

@Skidood - I knew I had posted some final photos... just had to find them.    You can see the fitment and clearances here:

These Rizoma risers have the same offset concept as the factory risers, and I installed mine with the riser rotated to move the bar as far away/forward as possible.   It takes a bit of fiddling to get everything to clear, but nothing major... You'll like it.  :)

Awesome, thanks so much, and I see that your FJ has the same overlay panel as I do on the Tracer so clearances should be the same.

You mentioned you rotated the bar up a few degrees, did you have to do this to get more clearance or was it something you just wanted to do?

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, Skidood said:

You mentioned you rotated the bar up a few degrees, did you have to do this to get more clearance or was it something you just wanted to do?

Both, actually.  I did have to rotate the bars up slightly to get tank clearance, but it feels much more natural this way, so I would have done it regardless.  

• Like 1