SatNav

johan

This thread got as far off topic as I would in the UK without navigation!  Back to the subject for a minute.  While pondering how to mount my GPS but also shopping for a new tank bag that would fit the FJ...I came across tank bags that also serve as a GPS mounting (okay, not quite mounting, but perhaps "displaying") system.  Does anybody have experience with a good tank bag with a GPS window?  Thanks...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Premium Member
This thread got as far off topic as I would in the UK without navigation!  Back to the subject for a minute.  While pondering how to mount my GPS but also shopping for a new tank bag that would fit the FJ...I came across tank bags that also serve as a GPS mounting (okay, not quite mounting, but perhaps "displaying") system.  Does anybody have experience with a good tank bag with a GPS window?  Thanks...
In the meantime I purchased a Garmin 390LM which I mounted on a RAM ball mount on the handlebar clamp. Works well although I agree with others, it would be better above the instruments. I just don't see anything to mount it on higher up. I have seen the saddlebag solution. At my age it needs to be further away for my eyes to focus, and I think the angle would mean you'd have to completely take your eyes off the road. I must say I hardly look at it in any case - the voice instructions are more important.

I'm using a Zumo 550 on a Ram ball replacing one of the bar bolts, but it won't allow the GPS to sit at the proper angle (with the screen near vertical). As a result, too much glare and the screen is unreadable. I'm looking at a clamp on Ram ball, but being able to mount it above the gauges would be ideal. Looking forward to seeing more on that. I'm powering mine out of the 12V power outlet at the moment.

In the meantime I purchased a Garmin 390LM which I mounted on a RAM ball mount on the handlebar clamp. Works well although I agree with others, it would be better above the instruments. I just don't see anything to mount it on higher up. I have seen the saddlebag solution. At my age it needs to be further away for my eyes to focus, and I think the angle would mean you'd have to completely take your eyes off the road. I must say I hardly look at it in any case - the voice instructions are more important.
While I do like my ball mount option, I've also been experminting with different 'above the instruments solutions.' First tried the screws at the corners of the panel - useless for mounting, moving on. I could try to fabricate a bracket that works off the hardware that the windscreen attaches with, but I wanted simpler. I did have a windshield suction mount for the TomTom, so I got it out of the car and it sticks REALLY well to the screen. Only problem is the TomTom ring mount for that application is completely unacceptable for holding the unit in a bike situation - it pops off way too easily. I wonder if the RAM suction mount might not be the way to go....

http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-103U

I've already got all the ball mounts and everything else... and if this thing can grab like the TomTom mount (seriously - I couldn't pull it off), then this could work as an 'above the instrument' solution.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• Premium Member
While I do like my ball mount option, I've also been experminting with different 'above the instruments solutions.' First tried the screws at the corners of the panel - useless for mounting, moving on. I could try to fabricate a bracket that works off the hardware that the windscreen attaches with, but I wanted simpler. I did have a windshield suction mount for the TomTom, so I got it out of the car and it sticks REALLY well to the screen. Only problem is the TomTom ring mount for that application is completely unacceptable for holding the unit in a bike situation - it pops off way too easily. I wonder if the RAM suction mount might not be the way to go.... 
http://www.rammount.com/part/RAM-B-166-103U

I've already got all the ball mounts and everything else... and if this thing can grab like the TomTom mount (seriously - I couldn't pull it off), then this could work as an 'above the instrument' solution.
Interesting, have you tried it while riding? I'd be concerned that with the vibration and the screen flexing from the wind the vacuum would be lost. Try it with a safety cable first and let us know how it works.

... I've also been experminting with different 'above the instruments solutions.' First tried the screws at the corners of the panel - useless for mounting, moving on. I could try to fabricate a bracket that works off the hardware that the windscreen attaches with, but I wanted simpler.
I fabbed up a mount this morning using the windscreen structure as a base.  I welded mine, but it could be done as a bolt on.

DSC_0411_zpsv0xc0ug0.jpg

More here:  http://fj-09.org/thread/1309/over-instruments-gps-mount?page=1

Does the bracket come with the bolts @dmizer? If not where did you mount it - in between the handlebar supports?

The link to the US Yamaha site has a slightly different part (part number differs at least). I'm trying to work what the difference is. I ordered one in Feb with the bike and have been told it is not available yet. Gave them the part number for the MT-09 (FZ) and they say that Yamaha told them it was a different part and isn't for the Tracer (FJ). Have since cancelled the order and still waiting for my money back :-[

Guest dmizer
Does the bracket come with the bolts @dmizer? If not where did you mount it - in between the handlebar supports?
Yes, my kit came with all the necessary hardware including bolts.

The link to the US Yamaha site has a slightly different part (part number differs at least). I'm trying to work what the difference is. I ordered one in Feb with the bike and have been told it is not available yet. Gave them the part number for the MT-09 (FZ) and they say that Yamaha told them it was a different part and isn't for the Tracer (FJ). Have since cancelled the order and still waiting for my money back :-[
That part fits many Yamaha motorcycles, not just the Tracer. It also fits the MT-09, so it should be available even in the states.

Yes, my kit came with all the necessary hardware including bolts.
Thanks, <shakes his head at his dealer :-/ >  In a way they have done me a favour, I had intended on replacing my 550 with a 590 but have managed to resist the purchase. The idea was to use that bracket for the new unit. I have used the mounting kit that came with the 550, have it on the handlebar as close as I can to the left switch gear. I like the height of it but it is prone to catching the sun (yeah, has been known to make an appearance in the UK). 
I might be wandering a little off topic, but it may be of help to others. Units like the 550 which don't use the later Bluetooth A2DP protocol don't play nicely with Bluetooth headsets - the reason I was looking to change. I have found a BT transmitter, plug the 3.5mm cable into the Zumo base and the unit and life is just about normal again - I use my Zumo's mp3 player sometimes and the new BT box has transformed the AM radio like mono audio into something pretty decent (in glorious stereo).

Ummmmm.... $60 for a bracket and a couple of bolts? Thanks, but I'll stick with my RAM mount, which only uses one mounting bolt, is completely position-adjustable in most directions, and was significantly less expensive.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

• 3 weeks later...
I use my Samsung S3 with a program (dont like app) called NavFree. Which is a free navigation ssytem that does not require data roaming just the GPS set on the phone. It also covers any country in the world (you just have to download the maps for free to your phone). The phone is mounted using the ultimate addons mounting system and case for the S3, which means its nice and water proof.
I havnt had any problums, and as i tend to listern to music on my phone thru my blue tooth, it means I only have to have one device to worry about and to take with me when I park up

Now that I've gone to an intercom unit I'm considering going back to my iPhone as my main GPS source. Having directions in my ear is a really nice thing, and I'm not quite ready to spend a lot of money on a new GPS.
s e t h

Archived