available options for crash bar engine guards for the Tracer 9 GT

aristosv

You'd have to ask if it'll fit your model year but ive loved the T-Rex Cage and Skid plate on the 15' Tracer I have. Has a nice plate to you can remove for oil changes as well so you dont have to remove everything.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/Yamaha-Tracer-900-GT-Engine-Guards-Skid-Plate-p/n76-19egcombo.htm

dssds.jpg

20220211_155745.jpgdfd.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

5 hours ago, DaxTheDuke said:

You'd have to ask if it'll fit your model year but ive loved the T-Rex Cage and Skid plate on the 15' Tracer I have. Has a nice plate to you can remove for oil changes as well so you dont have to remove everything.

https://www.t-rex-racing.com/Yamaha-Tracer-900-GT-Engine-Guards-Skid-Plate-p/n76-19egcombo.htm

dssds.jpg

20220211_155745.jpgdfd.jpg

I like the aggressive look of that, but I have to stay away from anything that reduces ground clearance. In my neighborhood (and only in my neighborhood) the are several speed bumps that made my 2019 bottom out,.. I'm pretty sure the speed bumps are built way out of spec.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bimbim18 said:

I like the aggressive look of that, but I have to stay away from anything that reduces ground clearance. In my neighborhood (and only in my neighborhood) the are several speed bumps that made my 2019 bottom out,.. I'm pretty sure the speed bumps are built way out of spec.

Thats been my only worry but so far not even the Massachusetts potholes have bottomed it out. Im also 250+with gear so shes already sitting low haha But id rather it hit that bottom plate then the oil pan any day. Love the streamlined look down low

• Thumbsup 1

These are not touted adventure bikes, these crash bars I am seeing mounted "IMHO" just makes a very svelte looking machine look odd and out of place. I'd go with sliders, but hey that's just me. :) T-Rex has some really sweet sliders for these bikes, they look great and will for sure protect the engine and frame. I only dropped any bike I have owned riding off pavement, but yes a drop can happen when you least expect it, and plastics still usually get damaged even with crash bars.

• Thumbsup 1

• 1 month later...

I would think that the Sliders for a 2021 Tracer 9GT and MT-09 would be identical.  This area of the bike and engine are the same.  But you should check the site or contact the manufacturer to be sure.

On 2/22/2022 at 9:59 AM, Ride365 said:

These are not touted adventure bikes, these crash bars I am seeing mounted "IMHO" just makes a very svelte looking machine look odd and out of place. I'd go with sliders, but hey that's just me. :) T-Rex has some really sweet sliders for these bikes, they look great and will for sure protect the engine and frame. I only dropped any bike I have owned riding off pavement, but yes a drop can happen when you least expect it, and plastics still usually get damaged even with crash bars.

While they aren't adventure bikes there are a few additional benefits to crash bars over sliders but it certainly boils down to personal preference. I ordered a set of Heed Bunker Bars for my 2021 Tracer 9 GT and will be installing this week-- will post a few pics if anyone is interested. I like to think these will hopefully protect the plastics and engine from a lower speed tip over but everyone will have their take on the subject. Crash bars allow for easy installation of additional lighting, cup holders (ha), and my recent favorite-- highway pegs.

• Like 2

On 3/26/2022 at 12:46 AM, Bernard said:

While they aren't adventure bikes there are a few additional benefits to crash bars over sliders but it certainly boils down to personal preference. I ordered a set of Heed Bunker Bars for my 2021 Tracer 9 GT and will be installing this week-- will post a few pics if anyone is interested. I like to think these will hopefully protect the plastics and engine from a lower speed tip over but everyone will have their take on the subject. Crash bars allow for easy installation of additional lighting, cup holders (ha), and my recent favorite-- highway pegs.

If definitely love to see it. I loved my GIVI crash bars on my 2019. If I was cruising and no present potential dangers near me I'd prop up both of my feet on em. Kinda on the fence about which bars to get when I get my next bike.

• Thumbsup 1

On 3/30/2022 at 3:59 PM, Bimbim18 said:

If definitely love to see it. I loved my GIVI crash bars on my 2019. If I was cruising and no present potential dangers near me I'd prop up both of my feet on em. Kinda on the fence about which bars to get when I get my next bike.

Splitting this into two posts due to image size. Some images below of my adv highway pegs on my badly beaten 2006 FZ6 (timing chain failed on the ride home after a deposit was placed on the MTT9GT). More pics of the Heed Bunker Bars and some Pyramid Plastics on the lighting. Will hopefully take some better pictures of the bike this weekend.

EDIT:

And for those of you questioning why I went with K&N filters on my FZ6. My hands don't fit in small spaces as well as they used to-- got my wrist caught when working on the Tracer the other day and was about to call out for help. Tight!

GIVI_FZ6_ADVPEG.jpg

Heed1.jpg

Heed2.jpg

Heed3_PyramidPlastics.jpg

Edited by Bernard
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had crash bars and highway pegs on my 1977 Suzuki GS750 and on a low side the downside peg dug into the pavement and spun the bike like a top creating a lot of rash.  I install SW Motech frame sliders and they offer a place to rest your feet "highway peg" style.

I forgot to mention that the crash bar bent in and scored the engine case but didn't crack it.

Edited by OldBikers
added text

On 7/1/2022 at 2:14 AM, Bimbim18 said:

@BernardI kinda like the idea of the highway foot pegs. Are this just universal bolt ons? Is there any downsides? 

I've bought a handful of cheap ones from Amazon a while back and really didn't like most. Biggest issue you'll likely encounter is finding a balance between cranking down on them to secure it in place vs the pegs being able to be pushed around with your feet which at a certain point they become more of a liability than practical. Some folks have used various tapes, foam, rubber, etc. to ensure it doesn't happen. I think I cranked down on mine to deform the crash bar a tiny bit and they're in a decent enough spot for now. No more movement and I've been content. 

This set I pulled off my FZ6 and it was from from ADV Designs for ~$200. They're constantly machining more so a preorder to get into the next batch. The original black anodization has faded to a deep reddish purple as you may see in the pictures. The 'secret compartment' is meh but perhaps stashing a spare $20 might get you out of a pinch. I may just put M&M's in mine, lol.

And I agree with OldBikers mention of the chance they get caught in a slide but having a set that is flexible should help alleviate some of those concerns. Personally made my last long distance trip incredibly tolerable. The final day, after being badly sunburned, I rode ~1,100 miles in 18 hours. I did not physically get off the bike till I got home.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
1 hour ago, Bernard said:

The final day, after being badly sunburned, I rode ~1,100 miles in 18 hours. I did not physically get off the bike till I got home.

My new hero. Impressive 😲

• Like 1