Cheap lodging, Smokies and Chattanooga

1moreroad

• Premium Member

Just got back from a weekend in the Smokies (for class not vacation). No motorcycle but it rained anytime I wasn't in class, so I didn't miss it. 

If you're looking for cheap, basic lodging, consider the Nantahala Outdoor Center on 64 about halfway between Bryson City and 129 and Wayah Road. A 2 bunk room with a window AC, electrical plug, and shared bathhouse costs $40 per night. Basic basic basic but clean and cool. Bring your own linens and towel. Next cheapest hotel was $150/nt. The parking lot is a little steep, but there are flat spaces for motorcycles to park.

On the way home I stopped at the Crash Pad in Southside Chattanooga. Excellent location with lots of dining options. A bunk bed in a nook in the hallway costs $38/nt and a private room (shared bathroom) costs $90. You can't stay in this location for less. Linens provided.

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...

I’ve stayed at Deals Gap “Resort.”  It was basic and going rate now is $70 per night.

Nice scene w lots of crazy Dragon pilots and a bike wash and maintenance area and tall-tale fire pit.  Fun.

Most rooms have a view of the Tree of Shame.

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 2
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

Thankfully I have both friends and family in the Chattanooga area.......it is an awesome area to ride out of. Good roads in ALL directions! 😎

Always wanted to stay at the "Resort". Probably will one day just because!!

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, fjrchuck said:

Thankfully I have both friends and family in the Chattanooga area.......it is an awesome area to ride out of. Good roads in ALL directions! 😎

Always wanted to stay at the "Resort". Probably will one day just because!!

That sounds like your offering to host an FJ09/Tracer regional meet in Chattanooga. When do you want us to show up? 😄

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Would be hard to coordinate from Michigan.....but not impossible! My Tennessee riding buddy has an FZ-10 and a B-King and he knows ALL the great roads in the area. He is also known as "the rainman of directions" and it doesn't hurt that he was a UPS driver and then driver supervisor for 30+ years. 

Never hurts to ask 😁

• Thumbsup 2

I’ve also stayed at the Fontana Lodge.  Fancier and more expensive than the Resort, but nice pool, beautiful setting and good food.

Plus they offer a discount to “Dragon Slayers!”

1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

I first look at AirBnB anywhere i go. 20 bucks a night for private room and bath at a Pigeon Forge condo a couple years ago.

Not as much fun riding the Tail of the Dragon in a Nissan rental car from the Atlanta airport.

• Thumbsup 1

I grew up in Chattanooga, some great roads in the area.  Would be a fun place to have a meet up.  There is a KOA just south in Trenton, GA.  Sometimes (frequently actually) the interstates thru Chattanooga get clogged and traffic is slow or just stops.  A nice fun town with some good food.  

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Maybe we should get a "work group" together to explore the possibilities of a meetup? I'm not too tech savvy but willing to help/ add input and as I stated earlier I do have a friend in the area! 😁

My buddy Kyle owns the Farmhouse Inn (Bed and Breakfast) in Tellico Plains and that's where I stay.  About 110 bucks a night and his wife is an amazing cook!!  Right at the start of the Cherahala Skyway.

• Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member
On 9/22/2021 at 10:24 AM, 1moreroad said:

If you're looking for cheap, basic lodging, consider the Nantahala Outdoor Center on 64 about halfway between Bryson City and 129 and Wayah Road. A 2 bunk room with a window AC, electrical plug, and shared bathhouse costs $40 per night. Basic basic basic but clean and cool. Bring your own linens and towel. Next cheapest hotel was $150/nt. The parking lot is a little steep, but there are flat spaces for motorcycles to park.

This looks like it would be a great location for a RTC (Ride to Camp).  Wish I had know about this a few weeks ago as the host of a rally we've attended several times, including just a few weeks ago, was looking for a new location.  He opted for Hot Springs Campground, in (duh) Hot Springs.  He has hosted The Blue Ridge Gathering in the area for 20 years!  More here: https://unclephil.us/

We have been attending various MC events since I returned to riding in 2007.  Since I was riding an ST-1100 and a member on several ST forums, most of the events have been related to those groups.  Each event has it's own "flavor", and there is no right or wrong way to do one.  Some are simple, like a RTC where each person is responsible for their accommodations, including meals.  Others are more "refined", like a hotel with group rates and planned dining.  It is up to the hosts to decide what they want to put in to it.  As a result we started hosting an event ourselves.

My wife and I have hosted OH-STOC (Ohio ST Owners Club) for 14 years!  I can tell you that it is a lot of work, but very fulfilling.   The "If you build it, they will come" saying stands true!  We've had up to 60 attendees at our events.  Even with Covid, we had about 50 this year.  Not sure if non-members can view these threads, but here's a link: https://www.st-owners.com/forums/forums/oh-stoc.248/

Check out MSTA too, they have numerous events across the nation.  https://ridemsta.com/

Anyway, someone should pick up the ball and throw together some sort of event.  Some of the best riding anywhere in that region!

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...