Long crank to startup....

Im loving my "19 Tracer but only ride her on weekends. Im finding as the weather has cooled off the bike needs to have the starter engaged for about 3 seconds before firing.  The little Honda 300  I used to have started instantly even after sitting for ages.  Just wondering.

I have a 2019 and it's been doing the same since it was new. The 2 Yamaha bikes I had before this one always started instantly even after sitting over the winter. Shortly after getting the Tracer I took it to the dealer and left it with them for a few days and they couldn't find a problem and they handed me a bill for diagnostic work. Showed them a video of the long crank time and they said it didn't look to bad and was probably normal. Contacted Yamaha and they said take it to the dealer to check if there is something wrong. 

The funny thing is after I added leads to the battery for a battery tender for a month or two after the bike started up right away without the long cranking. Eventually though the long cranking came back. It only happens after the bike has sat for a few days between starting. I let the fuel pump fully prime, tried opening the fuel cap before starting, left the bike on a battery tender during the down time, try to use non ethanol premium fuel, checked to make sure the battery terminals are tight and the bike is kept in a garage. After sitting for a few days I have to crank for 3 to 5 seconds to start. After that it starts up immediately until the next time it has sat for a few days.

If you find a cure please share. 

Edited by Torbeach

I have a 2019. A GT, but that wouldn’t matter engine wise.

Never had a problem with long crancking. Don’t even wait too long before starting after ignition on. The fuel pump has its time to prime, but that is 2 sec?

2-3 sec is not long cranking. My 19 tracer has been sitting for two months on a tender. Just went out, disconnected the tender and started it. 

Took about 2-3 seconds to start. And its always been that way. This is normal operation.

Sometimes the real issue is the person thinking there is a problem when it is really normal operations…..like gear whine.

If it brothers you, get another motorcycle. 

• Haha 1

So this is my first FI Yamaha after only Hondas. Yamaha has only one fuel line leaving the tank. Honda has 2 like automotive systems do. 1 to supply gas to the pressure regulator and a return line for excess. I'm not sure how 1 line even works.

When I listen to my 9's pump pressurize, I frequently hear it build instead of sound the same. I then  turn the key off  for 5 seconds then on again. It then sounds different.  Then start it and it's instant, not even 1 crank rev.

• Thumbsup 2

my 2020 GT always starts quickly even after sitting for as long as a month.  However have had a few times when it didn't start perfectly - I let off the key too quickly so it didn't catch and wound up having to restart and it took some cranking maybe 2 to 3 seconds.  The other day gave it a through washing to clean all the dirt and bugs off after my 6,200 mile trip (it was nasty).  After finishing it was very hard to start.  After 4 attempts wound up just cranking and giving it some throttle then it started reluctantly but was soon able to settle down to a happy CP3 idle.  Not sure what caused it - probably something got wet but didn't spray more than normal and no pressure washer ever.

Do not hold the starter button for a long period of time.  If the bike doesn't start up right away, let off and you will hear the fuel pump again.  Then press the start again and it should start right up.

This is actually covered in the owner's manual, if anyone bothers to read it 😕

My guess is that the bike is designed to prime with the most minimal amount of fuel necessary, either for emissions or to have a gentler startup.  So sometimes it seems it won't give it enough gas for a cold start, but after a failed start it "knows" it needs to prime some more and then it has enough.  It's obviously by design in any case since the manual covers this.

I've pretty much always needed 2 starter presses when the bike has sat overnight.  However, I usually will only need 1 starter press if I commute to work and start the bike to go home in the evening.  So there's like cold start and really cold start behaviors with this bike ;) 

Edited by stevesweetz

• Supporting Member
On 9/26/2021 at 1:27 PM, PhotoAl said:

my 2020 GT always starts quickly even after sitting for as long as a month.

Same for me.  I don't know that I have ever had to 'hold' the start button, merely a quick press and it starts immediately. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***