• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 39 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

Yamaha padded seat

let me make a suggestion...i use a closed cell pad (the name of the product is ensolite ),but sold under various names . i prefer one sold under the name of paddle Pad and is sold in kayak and canoe stores also on line.
i usually take the stock seat apart and get rid of th efoam. the i use use as a first layer ,GEL which i also buy on ine and on top of that i use the paddle pad and using a knife or scissors i shape it to the seat and height . it is great.

but better yet ....when i ride a rented bike in europe i use velcro to secure the pad on top of the oe seat ...

one thing is that when your ass starts to feel numb or whatever all you have to do is wiggle your ass a few times and it is like you just got on the bike .i also use this pad/velcro on top of my seats ,at times,on long trips .

PADDLE PAD

GEL SQUARES

FOR GOOGLE

Bike shorts. Never even thought of that. Great idea. I think I'll invest 40 bucks on Thais before I pull the trigger on 400 dollar seat.
Ditto. A mate also uses gel-enhanced bike shorts (he's a keen cyclist too) and claims they are very effective on his BMW R1200 R... L of S

Yep - and the compression aspect of the shorts themselves helps with muscle fatigue, too. It's a cheap win-win, IMHO.
s e t h
2015 FJ-09 (The Me Bike) - CalSci, RAM, Shad, Givi, CrampBuster, Grip Puppies, GoPro, my custom Garage Door Opener Mod
2014 Valkyrie (The We Bike) - Too much to list, and no one on this forum cares anyway :)

I've ridden a couple of 200 mile loops on my FJ with the stock seat. Longest non-stop is about 120 miles so far. To me its pretty darn good. Yes, it seems to scoot me forward so standing occasionally is nice to get back to neutral seating position. Have not felt the need for gel shorts on the FJ. I would like the seat to be less forward sloped though.

After a day on my KTM 690 (with a Seat Concepts seat) with 2 back to back 90 mile 80 MPH non stop legs , I can say the FJ is much better.
2015 FJ-09, 2016 1290 Super Duke, 2017 150 XC-W (primary ride), 2012 DR650

Guest bmidd
Ditto. A mate also uses gel-enhanced bike shorts (he's a keen cyclist too) and claims they are very effective on his BMW R1200 R... L of S

Yep - and the compression aspect of the shorts themselves helps with muscle fatigue, too. It's a cheap win-win, IMHO.

On longer rides in full leather I wear my Zoic bicycle shorts and stay nice and comfy.

Hey Just noticed on Seatconcepts site they have the FJ 09 seat. I have a Seat Concepts seat on my K L R and it is fantastic for short and 600km + rides. Have had it for 3 years and it still looks great.
....oops now that I go thru the recent posts, I see I was beaten to the punch...lol

I got the "comfort" seat for my wife's FJ09. She tried it and couldn't tell the difference. I tried it on mine and I couldn't tell either. Took it back and went to the local upholstery shop and had him change out the padding for something a bit thicker and softer. It only cost $75 each and we are good to go. We ride 200-250 mile trips with no problems.

I got the "comfort" seat for my wife's FJ09. She tried it and couldn't tell the difference. I tried it on mine and I couldn't tell either. Took it back and went to the local upholstery shop and had him change out the padding for something a bit thicker and softer. It only cost $75 each and we are good to go. We ride 200-250 mile trips with no problems.
Thanks for the info on the Comfort seat.  I've been waiting for somebody to say whether it's worth it or not.  I think people "over invest" in solutions to this issue and your visit to a local upholsterer for some extra padding is probably the most logical solution.   

• Premium Member
I've just invested 8 quid for a pair of padded cycling shorts from Aldi to try the (even more) padded arse method before spunking out any more cash on a more sophisticated method - as I suggested in another thread, sometimes modifying the rider, physically or sometimes psychologically is a better and cheaper solution to a perceived problem with the bike...
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

Guest rszk
Personally I've tried the padded shorts, but the problem is monkey butt syndrome on extended rides when it is warm with the added riding gear. I use the LDcomfort tights and then my riding pants which gives me excellent moisture wicking and therefore long distance comfort. I prefer a good seat and am willing to pay for a good one.

• Premium Member
Personally I've tried the padded shorts, but the problem is monkey butt syndrome on extended rides when it is warm with the added riding gear. I use the LDcomfort tights and then my riding pants which gives me excellent moisture wicking and therefore long distance comfort. I prefer a good seat and am willing to pay for a good one.
Thats's a concern for me too. I will try the shorts over the top of the excellent EDZ base layer I use. 

I also find using a good barrier cream, or even just baby lotion, to keep the your skin well hydrated will reduce the likelihood of the monkey butt bacteria setting up home.  
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

• 1 month later...
After 200 miles I am in absolute agony with the stock seat. My stiffly sprung supermoto with a Corbin seat is much more comfortable.

A pal just bought an FJ with the Comfort seat. Just a back-to-back (butt-to-butt?) comparison sitting on both by the side of the road, the Comfort seat is maybe a 1/4-1/2" higher, but instantly obviously is way more comfortable.

However, I grossly resent paying Yamaha $350 for what they should have given me in the first place.

I'm looking seriously at Seat Concepts who will refoam and recover the stock seat for $180, and re-cover the passenger seat in matching material for another $40.

There has been much said about this, but let me just say that I took my stock seat to my favorite local upholstery shop, and for $50 they made it more comfortable!  They were able to add more foam, keep the proper shape and re-use the original cover.  Of course, what my guy did with it and what your local guy could do are two different things.  But personally, I was glad i didn't spend a ton of money to get more comfortable.  Oddly enough, I originally ordered the Comfort Seat, found it way LESS comfortable and promptly returned it.  Hence the trip to the local upholsterer.  Just my 2 cents.

I have done a 500 mile day (900 mile three day weekend) on the stock seat. It isn't the best I've felt, but it is far from the worst. It certainly isn't a barcalounger like a BMW seat, but it is infinitely more comfy than any seat I've had on my KTMs. I have a Yamaha comfort seat coming and will report back once I try it out for a bit. I suspect it will make the 500 mile days that much more enjoyable.

After brief deliberation, I pulled the trigger on Seat Concepts. Their web site says 5-10 day turnaround, but I put it in UPS on Wednesday afternoon, and it was back in my hands before lunch on Friday.

HUGE improvement. Instead of being almost completely flat, the seat foam now has more depth in the ass area, and more contour in the thigh area. Instead of steadily sliding forward toward the tank, I'm now snugly back against the front of the passenger seat. Weight now spread along upper legs and the riding position feels like an improvement, too.

$260 all in, including a matching cover for the passenger seat, tax and shipping.

Seat_zpsy8vltnfa.jpg
URL]
[/img]

I just finished a 3 day 1400 mile trip on mine and learned that the Saddleman gel pad laid on top of the stock seat did not work, it was hard to keep in place getting on and off,  and felt like sitting on jello.    Quit using it after giving it its best shot for a full day, day 2 was nice not to have to think about it.

Also tried a pair of REI padded bicycle underpants, under leathers, and they definitely helped a lot with the stock seat.  Still need a better solution ultimately, but until I figure it out the padded shorts are definitely part of the core riding gear.

Archived