Found out what handle bars with risers does to body.

Well I had my first bad wreck in 18 years of riding. I'm laying in the hospital as it type this on my second night here and will be for almost a week with a second surgery on Monday. Was wearing gear, expect for pants as I got to fat for them. so I got a rash on my left knee. and a chipped knee cap.

But I have a smashed pelvis bone. I ripped the handle bars with the triple clamp off the bike with my pelvis. guy pulled out in front of me. I was able to swerve to the rear drivers door and not hit the drivers door, but that was it. he was about 40 ft in front of me when he pulled out. flew the air with a flip and slid.
I will be out for 6 months or maybe more. 

Not only is my dream motorcycle destroyed, my ability to walk for 1/2 a year too. I have been shooting a dozen arrows everyday since march to get ready for deer season today. Which I wont be able to do either.

But Im alive and I didnit bleed to death like alot of fractured pelvis ppl do. my wife is handling better than I thought.
I work commercial construction, looks like a good time to find a new career to work from home.

My dad got the fj09 from the wrecker yard yesterday. Going to take it my house this weekend for me.

Looking at the forks, I must have slowed down more than I hought. Was only going 45-50mph. 

received_268239958638112.jpeg

received_231063552284390.jpeg

• Sad 13

• Supporting Member

OMG!  That's terrible ...good luck with the remaining surgery etc.

That really sucks.  All the best in your recovery.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear of your accident, the important thing is that you made it out alive, good luck with your recovery. 

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

That is really awful! It's great that you can still see the silver lining. Sometimes life just stops and you get to reevaluate what is really important. While you are healing, count on the forum to help the time go by and for some moral support. Get well soon!

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 3

• Premium Member

I know how you feel. Same thing happened to me on the 8th. I came out of it better than you injury wise. You are in our thoughts and prayers.

• Thumbsup 3

Let’s go Brandon

Wow, that’s awful.  My healing wishes to you.

I fractured my pelvis a long time ago.  Once I was able, I found walking to be very helpful in getting full function back. A little bit each day, gradually increasing over time.   Three months overall.

Best of luck.

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

WOW so sorry to hear about that.  Bikes can be replaced but people are harder to fix.  You have my sympathy with the pelvis injury but as you said you survived.  It will take time to heal, be patient and try to not rush it.  I crushed the bottom quarter of my kneecap in a 15mph scooter crash!  One tip on pain meds.  They tell you to take 2 every 6 hours so you do.  After 5 hours you start hurting but can't take more yet.  I would stager my pain meds so that I would take one ever 3 hours instead of 2 every 6 hours.  Keeps a more even dose in your system.  If I had just one I would cut it in half and take the half twice as frequently.  Doing that also made it easier to taper off the meds.  Knee surgery was tough!  Spent 2 weeks basically bedridden as I couldn't put weight on one leg.  You have my sincere sympathy and know you have some not so fun times ahead but hey it's almost winter and by riding time next year you will be ready to go.  When you get to rehab, follow direction carefully too little or too much slows things down.  It will seem like it is taking forever but you will get there.  Good your wife is handling it well and sounds like you have other family support.

Oh and when they ask how is your pain, the answer is always 6 or more cause less than 5 gets no pain meds 🙂  I had a nerve block with my knee surgery and it was great but only lasted a day.

You are in our thoughts and prayers.

@micah2074  SE Tennessee, I was in Chattanooga today.  Based on the high speed traffic I'm surprised you were able to get enough speed up to hit someone 🙂  Just kidding of course, it was pretty nuts driving out of East Ridge today.  There are some great roads in the area though.  Hope you get well and get back on a bike soon.

• Thumbsup 3

• Supporting Member

That is bad news but good news that you're still here with us.  Speedy recovery to you and, dare I say it, your handle/profile name was a bad omen!

All the best to you going forward.

• Thumbsup 1

Glad to read that you survived the crash; I sincerely hope you heal well and quickly.

There was a recall on risers some time ago as they could come loose. In your case it probably helped that they came clean off.

A side note on pain meds: most work by peak dose, so be careful if you try the advice above about taking half the number of tablets more regularly. If your bloodstream dose doesn’t get above a certain value you get considerably lower pain relief. Your call of course, but dosage advice is there for a reason.

• Thumbsup 2

Red 2015 Tracer, UK spec (well, it was until I started messing with it...)

Glad you made it out alive and hope you are able to make a full recovery. Did the driver of the car give a reason for pulling out in front of you (didn't see you, talking on the phone, eating, doing make up, etc)?

• Thumbsup 1