Found out what handle bars with risers does to body.

• Premium Member
12 hours ago, showmerider said:

Glad you made it out alive and hope you are able to make a full recovery. Did the driver of the car give a reason for pulling out in front of you (didn't see you, talking on the phone, eating, doing make up, etc)?

If the cager was smart, they said nothing.  I wish an eye for an eye was permissible, they'd be a LOT less of this.

When you feel up to it and lucid, go over the incident as best you can and make notes.  Maybe your dad can go to the site of the crime (and it was a crime, and if the cops didn't ticket the driver your attorney should file for a state incident investigation) and take photos from all perspectives to help you recreate events.  Stay calm and use this process to help you recover, because you may have PTSD, your attorney will need it to help you prepare for the trial, and you should use it to learn for the future.

Luckily you are young and should heal quickly and recover fully.  So take care and don't necessarily take what the doctor says as gospel, get a second or even third opinion if you have any doubts.  If possible have a family member with you in the hospital as much as possible, because you need an advocate as a buffer from zealous nurses and especially PAs who often pass themselves off as MDs.  They think they are as capable as a MD but are NOT!  Two years and they certify but in my kid's opinion.  She's a bit older than you and an Emergency Physician with four years of undergrad medical research in addition to med school and residency, and has seen how hospitals have become big business.  PAs are often misguided and misinformed, if not just plain dangerous.  Especially when it comes to meds for infections and pain management.  Hospitals adopted PAs as a major cost cutting approach and there is major controversy about them among MDs and patient advocate orgs.

Good luck and you'll be on the road again next year.  I know it's tough, I'm going through similar issues and have a minimum of three more procedures ahead of me.

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

When you get to rehab, follow direction carefully too little or too much slows things down.  It will seem like it is taking forever but you will get there.

Great bit of advice.  I wish I'd followed this more carefully during my own rehab.

• Thumbsup 4

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

Oh damn… I hate hearing about these types of things.  While the ‘it could have been worse’ realization is certainly true, it doesn’t in any way lessen the seriousness of your situation.   And a bit of a wake up call for all of us…

I wish you all the best for a full recovery, and commend you for your positive attitude.   Keep us posted on your progress.  

-Scott 

• Thumbsup 3

Unfortunately this isnt the first time in a hospital with an injurie. I have done rehab for other broken parts. But this is by far the worst injurie I have had. 

I learned to hold my ground with doc's and cranky nusres when I took care of my mother before she past away.

I got a second opinion on my back last year, which I think was the right way to go fixing it.

One thing that surprised me, was all the staff I have met at the 2 hospitals. Because thay all said thank you for wearing gear. 

Sorry if this doesnt make sense, falling alseep when typing. 

Wife's friend told her to keep me off the bike. And the wife responded "yeah right, he will be on one next summer." 

• Thumbsup 8
  • Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about this, it's not a club you want to be a member of. One thing I would not do is talk about this on social media, before you get legal counsel. Don't want to screw anything up. Heal up fast and use the spare time to pick out a new bike. 

• Thumbsup 2

He who dies with the most toys wins.

Pretty much all of us know to watch vehicles turning in front of us.  However watch out for vehicles that turn in front stop and then back out in front of a motorcycle.  My neighbors brother tragically learned that lesson the hard way.  I am so alert when riding and typically avoid 4 or more lane roads with a center turn lane.  So many places to turn and pull out of.

• Thumbsup 1

• 2 months later...
17 minutes ago, PhotoAl said:

How is your recover going?  Hope you are doing well and have a great holiday.

Started walking last week. Wasnt allowed to per dr till then. And alot less meds. So making some progress. 

Thanks. Happy holidays to you as well. 

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2