Parking Lights

Good point.

I'll just have to keep riding. What a shame :-)
but why would you need parking lights if you're not parked? 

UK law requires parking lights in an unlit street, so how they got around this is a mystery. 
Its not illegal to ride, only to park it.

Strange init?

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Perhaps if you told us what bike you had 18 years ago we might be able to help. I suppose there is no point in suggesting that you RTFM. 

No, the FJ is definitely weird in this regard. I've owned ten other motorcycles and all but one illuminated the tail light and front turn signals on the P position. It sounds like the FJ doesn't comply with UK law, and I suspect it violates US FMVSS as well. But who ever checks (or even uses) this obscure feature?
Seriously? Were you guys lucky enough to be born this thick or do you find it necessary to practice? From page eighteen of the user manual:
[With the key in the Parking position] The hazard lights and turn signal lights can be turned on, but all other electrical systems are off. The key can be removed.
Notice the word "can". This is not the same as the word "will" or the word "must". I wonder what other goodies and obscure features are in the manual that you do not know about? My dad used to say that people should have to take IQ tests before they are allowed to have sex, but I never really understood what he meant until now.

Yes it does. From that site...

All vehicles must display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

I live in a rural area with no street lights and 60mph limit. I require parking lights.

Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

No, the FJ is definitely weird in this regard. I've owned ten other motorcycles and all but one illuminated the tail light and front turn signals on the P position. It sounds like the FJ doesn't comply with UK law, and I suspect it violates US FMVSS as well. But who ever checks (or even uses) this obscure feature?
Seriously? Were you guys lucky enough to be born this thick or do you find it necessary to practice? From page eighteen of the user manual:
[With the key in the Parking position] The hazard lights and turn signal lights can be turned on, but all other electrical systems are off. The key can be removed.
Notice the word "can". This is not the same as the word "will" or the word "must". I wonder what other goodies and obscure features are in the manual that you do not know about? My dad used to say that people should have to take IQ tests before they are allowed to have sex, but I never really understood what he meant until now.

Which is exactly what I said. But there are no parking lights. Keep up at the back now.

Oh I use this obscure feature every other day when I pop over to my zmums and its dark as early as 4pm in the winter in the UK...really not obscure at all...

Seriously? Were you guys lucky enough to be born this thick

By the way Paul patronising comments and calling people thick is not nice.

All vehicles must display parking lights when parked on a road or a lay-by on a road with a speed limit greater than 30 mph (48 km/h).

I live in a rural area with no street lights and 60mph limit. I require parking lights.

Err no it doesn't. Your original statement implied that all unlit streets require the use of parking lights; they don't.

CS

• Premium Member
Seriously? Were you guys lucky enough to be born this thick or do you find it necessary to practice?
LOL. You don't even know what parking lights are, do you? Reading comprehension: give it a try sometime.

Err no it doesn't. Your original statement implied that all unlit streets require the use of parking lights; they don't.

CS
Yes I agree, that could be seen as implicit, but as this thread is on whether there are parking lights, not on what UK law is, I was merely stating contextually to my own circumstance that legally I require parking lights on the road where I frequently park. Should I apologise for that?

Maybe I should have used the words "certain streets" rather than the way I originally put it. Oh the joy of hindsight - who would think a simple thread on "are there parking lights?", would turn into a hair splitting and abusive slanging match.

The fact remains that parking lights are legally required in the UK in some circumstances. Despite the adament claim by some that they are not needed (THAT was the point I was making).

That the Tracer doesn't (as far as I know) have them, but I need to read the manual because I am thick, in order to find out the very thing I cited earlier.

Anyway, I have better things to do with my time than feed trolls.

Yes I agree, that could be seen as implicit, but as this thread is on whether there are parking lights, not on what UK law is, I was merely stating contextually to my own circumstance that legally I require parking lights on the road where I frequently park. Should I apologise for that? 
Maybe I should have used the words "certain streets" rather than the way I originally put it. Oh the joy of hindsight - who would think a simple thread on "are there parking lights?", would turn into a hair splitting and abusive slanging match.

The fact remains that parking lights are legally required in the UK in some circumstances. Despite the adament claim by some that they are not needed (THAT was the point I was making).

That the Tracer doesn't (as far as I know) have them, but I need to read the manual because I am thick, in order to find out the very thing I cited earlier.

Anyway, I have better things to do with my time than feed trolls.
Ok I have at no point been un-civil or derogatory. I have simply stated, in an admittedly concise fashion, that what you stated was not correct.  Of course you don't need to apologise. 
Further I don't agree that we're splitting hairs.  You made a statement of fact, without context, that wasn't true.  That's not splitting hairs in my book.  As you rightly pointed out, parking lights are required in the UK in certain circumstances. I never and nor has anyone else in this thread claimed that they aren't. You further implied in your post that Yamaha are somehow getting away with something illegal or have missed something and are thereby illegal.  The bike is type-approved for sale in the UK and EU and thereby meets whatever the legal requirements are for that type of machine.  If they'd "missed" something the bloody thing wouldn't be on sale. 

Like you, I think paulsmith is out of line resorting to insults and frankly I don't appreciate being labelled a troll by you.  I personally find it difficult not to respond when people make statements of fact that aren't true.  Despite paulsmith's insults, on some level I can understand his obvious frustration.  This thread needn't exist, all the info is in the owners handbook.  If you park your Tracer on an unlit street Yamaha allows you to leave a warning light on to indicate that your vehicle is there.  The warning can be provided on the left or the right or both sides of the bike.  The warning light happens to take the form of a flashing indicator.  To my mind that is better than just a sidelight and rear light as the flashing indicator is more obvious and truly indicates a potential hazard.  If you leave a skip at the side of the road that also needs to be illuminated with a flashing orange beacon (never thought I'd be comparing my Tracer to a skip...).

CS

• Premium Member
What's a "skip"?
rubbish_skip_tipperary2.jpg Although now we're getting a little off-topic.  :P

CS
It's the internet and this just a forum... Relax....... 

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

Archived