Parking Lights

By parking lights I assume you mean front and tail lights o with everything locked uip, for dark back road parking? 
I couldn't find anything like that on my bike, which is a concern (and illegal) when I park at my Mums house on a rural country lane with no pavements and the road only just wide enough for two cars to pass cautiously.

Hazard lights work with ignition off and bike locked but that's not legal for parking.

Anyone know any different?

CS. You haven't been derogatory. Not a pop at you! 
My comment about needing lights on unlit roads was intended to be specific to my needs re this post above.

Mum is 88 has dementia, broke her leg a week ago, has been in hospital having had to have an operation for hip replacement, and two blood transfusions. I am possibly a bit more tetchy than usual.

Paul Smith is rude and ill considered, not you.   

It remains that it is a real pain not having parking lights on the bike. 
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

A marginally more interesting skip here:

774brm.jpg
Honda SS50, Kawasaki Z200, Honda 400/4, Yamaha TDM900, Yamaha XT660Z Tenere, KTM 990 Adventure, BMW R1200GS, Mr Stevens, and my favourite of all: Yamaha MT-09 Tracer...a bit like FJ-09 only properly named :¬P

Perhaps if you told us what bike you had 18 years ago we might be able to help.
No, the FJ is definitely weird in this regard. I've owned ten other motorcycles and all but one illuminated the tail light and front turn signals on the P position. It sounds like the FJ doesn't comply with UK law, and I suspect it violates US FMVSS as well. But who ever checks (or even uses) this obscure feature?
Maybe because it is not mandatory to use the parking lights? But, I definitely wish the FJ followed the protocol/standard that has been used since forever.  B-|  
To me having the lights glow at 1/2 brightness (similar to an auto) is a 'parking light'. In my opinion having to make the lights blink indicates either an emergency or a more temporary parking situation (such as in a loading zone, etc).

In any case, an interesting quirk....

A marginally more interesting skip here: 

774brm.jpg
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is it?
Its a rubbish skip that's been made into a "car"...I bet it has parking lights BTW

A truck drops the skip off to a building site etc. They get filled with whatever, rubbish, rubble etc, then collected then full.

Back on topic, whilst parking lights don't apear to be mandatory for some, they are here in the UK on certain roads in certain conditions, and why am miffed and not having them on the bike.

Interesting thread, all my other/past bikes have had this parking feature, and the FJ09 does not. (Never checked in the FZ09 for this feature.)

It's nice to be able on a dark road, to put the "running" or park lights on, so you can be seen by anyone driving on the road.

On my KTM's the headlights always had a separate small "running light" bulb, and the main headlight bulb that was dual filament for low and high beam.

Put it on the park setting, and only the small little bulb lit up the headlight housing, while the tail light was on, and the way I had mine wired up most of the time, the two front yellow turn signals were also on. (I'd wire them up so they ran 100% of the time, and flashed when I used the turn signal, just like the FJ09 does.)

If you swap out the rear signals for 3 wire front style ones, you can do the same in the rear, adding more light to the rear. But with the advent of really good LED's, it's just more effective to add a really bright LED bar that is always on, flashes when you use the brake, and goes full bright while you have the brake applied. (And will flash again if you release and re-apply the brake if you need to wake up that vehicle coming up on your rear at the stop light.)

To quote a certain "Dr. Evil" I'd put Fricken Lasers on my bike if it would make the cagers see me better. ;)

So, a bit more research.  Under UK law then, it seems that parking lights are not a requirement by law.

However, if hazard lights are fitted, then it is a requirement by law that they are able to operate independently without the ignition on.   Hence, I guess Yamaha have had to (for the UK market at least) had to use the ignition barrel for at least the hazards (although I dont see why the sidelights can't be on too? 

QUOTE:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/366046/msva-manual.pdf

8. Check the hazard warning device

a. is fitted where required, and where fitted

b. operates with the ignition switch both on and off  note: in this instant off means the switch in a position where the engine cannot operate

• Premium Member
I am glad that it is difficult to get the parking lights to be on. Accidentally turned them on a bike once in broad daylight (so didn't see the lights). Killed the battery. Don't think you can push start a fuel injected bike.
2015 FJ-09
2006 Triumph Daytona 675

I am glad that it is difficult to get the parking lights to be on. Accidentally turned them on a bike once in broad daylight (so didn't see the lights). Killed the battery. Don't think you can push start a fuel injected bike.

Yes you can... It's not great to do it all the time, I'd assume but you can pop the clutch.

It has been suggested that I may have caused some insult because I questioned someones mental abilities. Someone who partially quoted me but left out the bit about reading the manual and then went on to say something that directly contradicts that manual.

That I took probably 30 seconds to find the relevant manual online, find the relevant section and post it here for the benefit of that challenged member (and other forum members in general) is a matter of minor personal embarrassment as I am not usually that slow. That some of my fellow forum members persist in repeating that there are no parking lights on the Tracer despite the obvious fact that there are, and that they can turn them on themselves to prove it now that I, the manual and others have told them how, is a matter of significantly greater embarrassment since as I post under my real name, someone who knows me might come across this and wonder why I am associating myself with such idiots.

I wonder if it is too late to change my forum name, does anyone know if "suffers_fools" is taken?

paul, take a chill pill. In fact y'all need to friggen relax. I can't see Yamaha selling a bike that does not meet code where they are selling it. Just seems impossible to me that Yamaha and each countries admins would allow that.
2015 Red FJ 09
2013 WR250R - little boy blue - sold
2012 DL650 V Strom - sold
2007 FZ6 - sold
1986 FJ600 - sold

• Premium Member
paul, take a chill pill. In fact y'all need to friggen relax. I can't see Yamaha selling a bike that does not meet code where they are selling it. Just seems impossible to me that Yamaha and each countries admins would allow that.
I agree with the first sentence but you only need to look at the example set by VAG to see how much vehicle manufacturers give a monkey's about sticking to regulations
This signature is left blank as the poster writes enough pretentious bollocks as it is.

I agree with the first sentence but you only need to look at the example set by VAG to see how much vehicle manufacturers give a monkey's about sticking to regulations
They cared quite a bit.  The software they used to cheat the system didn't write itself.  It had one purpose, and one purpose only.  Because they care.

• 2 years later...

Thanks for the answer guys, my reason for searching this forum was that I turned on my ignition to P just past the lock and.......Nothing, I thought it was broken but now I'm happy it's all OK.

I'm sorry you got upset, but it does make really funny reading when approached from outside, you should really read it all back and I bet you'll smile.

I often have to write terse letters, I generally give myself an hour or so before I send it, more than half the time I re read it when I have cooled down and  then I have the opportunity to soften my tone, I feel good writing the first version as I have vented, thankfully I have the opportunity to edit and send and this version is often a much more calm, considered and constructive correspondence.

Have a good weekend guys the sun is out 😋

• Haha 1