2022 Triumph Tiger Sport 660

jthayer09

• Supporting Member

TIGER SPORT 660 | For the Ride (triumphmotorcycles.com)

Doesn't look like you can add cruise control, but everything else seems available as accessories.

A little high on the price in my opinion as it's more expensive in base spec than the Kawi's Versys 650 LT that comes with luggage and hand guards. Just slightly cheaper than Suzuki's Vstrom 650 Touring that has luggage, guards, heated grips, and center stand. I suppose if you want a small triple it's the only choice. 

Certainly looks the part, tough segment to compete in.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

• Supporting Member

DANG that would be perfect for my g/f.  Her '03 F650GS is getting a bit long in the tooth (130k kms on the odo) and, being a thumper, it's buzzy at highway speeds.

Great find, hadn't seen these until now.  Thanks for helping us spend $

• Haha 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

Hmm little bit of misleading advertising with their 360 spinner at the top of the page because the "tail" isn't on the bike.

Much like the first gen FJ-09/Tracer, the lack of cruise control reeks of being some "price point" BS because it does have electronic throttle control and it should be possible.  If it had cruise, between that and the engine, I think it would easily justify premium over the Versys 650.  I  mean between the two I'd still get the Triumph anyway for just the engine. I was cross-shopping Versys 650 before I ended up getting an FJ-09.  I wasn't really looking for more power, but that Kawi 650 engine is so completely charmless.

Although I'm still hankering to get a Tracer 9 GT, I might have seriously considered this bike if it had cruise.  I'm ok with less power.  My guess is that I'd still end on the Yamaha anyway, but now that I was denied getting one this year because of supply chain issues, I'm kind of less enthused for the bike (sour grapes effect) and having second thoughts on whether I'm sold on the value of electronic suspension compared to its price premium.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I didn't even notice that the 360 view doesn't show the tail fender, kind of sus marketing. I agree, none of the midweight bikes having cruise control in the market is a bummer.

Tracer 7 w/ cruise is probably my ideal bike if we get could it in the state side. I adore the sound of a piped CP2 engine.

Aprilia has CC on the Tuono 660, maybe they'll make a mid-weight standard bike in the future.

I'm surprised you're having a hard time getting a T9GT in PA, I bought mine in Eastern Ohio and at $1,000 less than MSRP. It seems like there was more demand for new-old-stock Tracer 900 GTs from what dealers were telling me while I was shopping.

1 hour ago, jthayer09 said:

I'm surprised you're having a hard time getting a T9GT in PA, I bought mine in Eastern Ohio and at $1,000 less than MSRP. It seems like there was more demand for new-old-stock Tracer 900 GTs from what dealers were telling me while I was shopping.

Lucky. I'm in eastern PA (about 45 mins from Philly) and every Yamaha dealer in a 250 mile radius got basically one in and it had already been reserved by someone else.

There was a dealer in NJ that had one available, I texted them in the morning on a work day to confirm it was available.  I said I was super interested and would call later when I had a free moment.  When I called around 3pm, they had already sold the bike to someone else!  I later found out that it was a mechanic at the dealership where I normally take my bike for inspection and tires that had bought it.

They seem to be popular bikes around here.  Anecdotally, I see a lot of FJ-09s and Tracers when riding around in PA and NJ.  They had one at a Yamaha demo event at my regular dealer and they said it was the most requested bike - more than even the R7.  You'd think that would mean dealers in this area would get a higher allocation of them, but I guess not 😕

There was still one dealer in Brooklyn, NY that still had one listed on Cycle Trader, but I hate cities and my desire for the bike doesn't quite exceed my disdain for riding into (because I want to trade my current bike) and out of NYC.

Edited by stevesweetz

• Supporting Member

It feels like the manufacturers are finally swinging back towards fun, practical, and capable bikes in the middleweight ‘sweet spot’ of the market. I hope they sell a boatload of them!   

Anyone else noticed the new Kawasaki Z650RS?   This could be the perfect bike for a lot of people I know… 

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/z/retro-sport/z650rs

DFA6F1E0-0BAF-46CD-8EFD-5B5D3AA0463D.thumb.jpeg.817dafb2aaf18c7a010a84663f223e76.jpeg

• Thumbsup 5

• Supporting Member
9 hours ago, texscottyd said:

It feels like the manufacturers are finally swinging back towards fun, practical, and capable bikes in the middleweight ‘sweet spot’ of the market. I hope they sell a boatload of them!   

Anyone else noticed the new Kawasaki Z650RS?   This could be the perfect bike for a lot of people I know… 

https://www.kawasaki.com/en-us/motorcycle/z/retro-sport/z650rs

I personally want a Tracer 7 GT with cruise control state-side; it's probably my favorite looking bike at the moment and I love the sound of a piped CP2. I'd buy it day 1.

5 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

454 pounds and presume without the side cases and 79HP so Triumph is too close in weight to the Tracer 9 GT and too little HP.  

That's why we're all here isn't it? The FJ/Tracer 9 series are the only "sport touring" bikes under 500lbs and still over 100HP and has a full electronics suite available; though theoretically you can slap bags on any sport bike for touring and deal with the shitty mpg/range *cough* MT10 *cough*.

• Thumbsup 5

10 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

I personally want a Tracer 7 GT with cruise control state-side; it's probably my favorite looking bike at the moment and I love the sound of a piped CP2. I'd buy it day 1.

That's why we're all here isn't it? The FJ/Tracer 9 series are the only "sport touring" bikes under 500lbs and still over 100HP and has a full electronics suite available; though theoretically you can slap bags on any sport bike for touring and deal with the shitty mpg/range *cough* MT10 *cough*.

Its called "Empty tank" for a reason 😆

• Thumbsup 1

Triumph had one at the Barber Vintage Festival this weekend.  They said it was a preproduction model.  I sat on it, nice bike and narrow with a light feel.   Really feels smaller than the Tracer but think that is due to less/smaller fairings around the gas tank.  Doesn't have quite as much of a "beak" look but still has fairings that reduce wind on the rider.  My biggest concern is lack of HP followed by lack of CC.  However if I was going to get a short trip fun bike this would defiantly be in the mix.  Just wonder if they couldn't go to an aluminum frame and drop the weight.   Think it will be a winner for them.

cropMed_01A0809.thumb.jpg.2a4cab3cc36d3c1d8576ef2dfff28493.jpg

• Thumbsup 1

• 6 months later...
  • Supporting Member

Well, my g/f sat on one yesterday and liked it.  The upright riding position, seat height etc all seemed to work well for her.  I think the biggest concern might be the lack of a centre stand & heated grips (but heated grips are available, as @jthayer09 eluded to) - neither is a deal breaker.  Factory bags add ~a bit less than a grand, installed, taxes, all-in, but they're sizable at least.  Not much room under the seat.  2-year warranty; unlimited mileage.  Maint intervals are every 10,000 km's, valves every 20k.  Michelin Road 5's from the factory, which is a nice touch.  The fuel gauge has DTE (~300 kms per tank can be expected).  Adjustable windscreen.

If she sells her Ninja & F650 GS this spring/summer that should easily cover most of the cost.

From the looks of it, and in chatting with the sales guy, they're nearly the same as our bikes in every way except they're Triumph and just a wee bit smaller.  Same clutch cable / hydraulic brakes, ABS, TCC (TCC can be disabled).  The front suspension isn't adjustable without replacement springs etc, but the rear has a remote preload adjust.

We'll see what happens, but so far it's a strong contender...

• Thumbsup 2

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

• Supporting Member

The Tiger looks like a great setup for a beginner or someone moving up from a 250 or something similar. Only problem is the seat height at 32.87 in (835 mm). I think that turns much of the short legged folk off. The Kawasaki advertises Slim and Low Seat height at 31.5". Am I missing something Here? Why not a street bike with say 27" seat and the option for a  higher seat?

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

Apparently there is a factory lowered / comfort seat - drops the seat height 1"

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
17 hours ago, Heli ATP said:

Why not a street bike with say 27" seat and the option for a  higher seat?

Wouldn't a 4" to 5" lower seat interfere with rear shock placement / suspension geometry?

Plus a 660 triple might be packaged narrower at the back of the tank making the reach to the ground easier (effectively a lower seat height than the number suggests).

• Supporting Member

I hear ya, some engineering is required to open up the Adventure Sport Touring motorcycles to a broader audience. On a recent trip to a HD dealership I was amazed by how many of the bikes had lower seats, still didn't see anything I would be into though.

The Pan America looked OK but not at that price.