Auxiliary Lights

bigandy2007

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum, I have a 2015 MT09-Tracer 900. I have recently just purchased some engine protectors from Motea. They came with Auxiliary lights. I know how to fit the engine protectors, however I am unsure on the best way to connect the lights to my bike. The cables provided with the lights connect directly to the battery. I would like to connect these lights to the bike in such a way in that they only come on when the ignition key is turned. As I am concerned that they may drain my battery if directly connected to it.

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

• Premium Member

Create a wiring harness that connects to the battery, then to a relay triggered by an ignition-on circuit like the rear brake light or front running lights (or one of the two auxiliary circuits behind the wind screen (there are several threads on how to do that if you search) that will then power the driving lights when the ignition is switched on.

Personally, I prefer turning on my driving lights with a switch connected to the added relay loom that is powered by an always on circuit.

EDIT:  Just took a more careful look at the wiring harness that came with your lights.  Disconnect the switch to the provided relay and connect a ignition-on power wire and chassis ground wire to where the two switch wires connected.  If you want to use the switch, then the switch wires splice inline to your new ignition-on positive. wire to the relay.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

For my help, please send me a hat from The Cavern Club. LOL

How many times have you been to the IOM TT, as you're just a ferry ride away?

I'm SO jealous!  TT Week has been on my bucket list for 50 years.  Almost made it in 2015 but sh-t happened...

EDIT:  Jealous of your adjacency to the IOM and other possible nice riding areas, not necessarily to living in Liverpool and it's typical weather... 😎