Winter or three season glove recommendations

Kemp

I'm needing a new set of gloves for the non-summer months. Since I already have heated grips and will be adding some handguard extensions, I'm needing some recommendations on new gloves.

I have a set of Tourmaster winter gloves that I've had for many years, and they aren't bad at keeping my hands warm, but they are so bulky that my fingers hurt after a good long ride. So, I'm hoping to find something that's somewhat insulated but not too bulky. Waterproofing is not necessary, but could be a plus.

So, what 'cha got?

Scorpion EXO Tempest Gloves

My only real experience with winter gloves/waterproof gloves but I have had 3 seasons with them and they seem to have done alright. I used them over Snoqualmie Pass in mid November on an Indian Scout (No handwarmers, no wind protection) and though they weren't perfect they held up. On my Tracer with hand warmers and wind protection I have had no issues with cold fingers, but I haven't had many cold days on the Tracer yet. I don't know how they measure up in terms of bulk, they are obviously bulkier than my other gloves but not to the point where it's fatiguing.

• Thumbsup 1

I have a pair of RevIt Stratos GTX winter gloves.  I dont ride when it gets below upper 20s F and these have done well for the times I've used them.  Biggest complaint is the winning sticks to wet fingers making putting on and taking off not so much fun.  Do a good job of keeping fingers warm even in the rain.  Had them when got caught in the rain and temperature eventually dropped to 34F and still raining.  Grip heaters on high and I was cold everywhere.  Had on 2 T shirts, a fleece jacket, mesh riding jacket and lightweight Frogg Togg rain jacket!  On my BMW F800GT with no hand guards.  The fastening cord is unique but does work well.  However for me it seems counter intuitive so can be frustrating.  My normal gloves are Held Phantons and have been incredible gloves over several years and 50 or 60 thousand miles.  I would also look at their winter gloves BUT they are not inexpensive. I'm thinking about a new pair and the Phantom IIs are $399!!!   Hummmm when I get off my scooter I stuff my $400 gloves in my $600 helmet ..... don't leave that sitting on the scoot or motorcycle.

• Thumbsup 1

I use these Klim gloves for fall and spring and temps into the mid 40's with no issues at all...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/klim-adventure-gtx-short-gloves

My Winter gloves are Rukkas, similar to these.  Very warm...

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/rukka-imatra-20-gore-tex-gloves

Edited by CRFan250
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I use the Highway 21 Heated Gloves for winter months, they are lighter on the palm insulation so as to work with your heated grips instead of blocking the outside heat. Bought them in December of 2017 and have used them every season no issues.

I also like to use them as general winter gloves for prolonged outdoor sessions since they have their own batteries.

I've heard good things about Gerbing's heated gear but that hooks up to your bike's battery.

• Thumbsup 2

Not cheap, but damn fine gloves. https://www.klim.com/Badlands-GTX-Long-Glove-3923-000?quantity=1&color=9

There are a little bulky but that's what you get in a winter glove. They are Goretex and have a double gauntlet which keeps rain from running down your sleeve and into your glove. 

For super cold riding (below freezing), I use heated gloves because I have them, but these would do just fine with heated grips. 

• Thumbsup 1

So I just went on this journey as well...   I tested multiple Alpine Star gloves, A set of Revit, a set of Reax (which I love their Ridge WP loves for fall/rain summer gloves: https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/reax-ridge-wp-gloves ) 

I ended up settling on the Coretech Scarab 2.0  https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/gloves/insulated_and_or_waterproof/cortech/scarab_2_winter_gloves.html 

They seem warm enough for me, the touch screen functionality actually works, and they are well armored without feeling too bulky.   

A similar glove is the Sedici Antonio  (which is way cheaper, but less insulated) - but I found it to be a bad fit, and the touch screen stuff doesnt work. 

Now my glove setup is:

• Summer:  Reax Superfly Mesh leather
  • Summer Rain/Fall: Reax Ridge WP
  • Fall Rain/Winter:  Coretech Scarab 2.0   

No gloves are truly warm and keep the tactile feedback I really want, but the scarab is close enough. 

• Thumbsup 1

I have a set of Warm n Safe / Firstgear heated gloves. They are 3m thinsulate, so decently warm on their own. The heated element is awesome. They are waterproof, and not too bulky.

The best solution for staying warm and not having bulky gloves is a set of Hippo Hands (or similar) with heated grips. You can wear summer weight gloves and still be toasty in cold temperatures. The down side is they look dorky. 

How cold are the temperatures you want to ride in? 

• Thumbsup 3

10 minutes ago, draco_1967 said:

How cold are the temperatures you want to ride in? 

Probably not too cold, mostly in the 40s/50s. If I get the hand guard extensions and use my heated grips, I'm hoping I can get away with some lighter weight gloves. I have considered the Hippo Hands, and may have to give them a second look.

36 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

When you mentioned those, I remembered I have a buddy that rides with those. Seems like I tried them on once, and they seemed really nice. He recently gave me his cast off Helds when he upgraded; maybe I should convince HIM that it's time for some new winter gloves. 😀

2 minutes ago, Kemp said:

When you mentioned those, I remembered I have a buddy that rides with those. Seems like I tried them on once, and they seemed really nice. He recently gave me his cast off Helds when he upgraded; maybe I should convince HIM that it's time for some new winter gloves. 😀

I used them in 25F mornings at Yellowstone with the heated grips and was comfortable.   I am OK with some cooler hands, but I found the heated grips + the insulation in the gloves worked well. 

• Thumbsup 1

2 hours ago, draco_1967 said:

The best solution for staying warm and not having bulky gloves is a set of Hippo Hands (or similar) with heated grips. You can wear summer weight gloves and still be toasty in cold temperatures. The down side is they look dorky. 

Buuuuut I have to look cool when I ride and could never have a set of Hippo Hands ..... image is everything

🙂

• Haha 1

I have Dainese Scout Evo (Scout 2 update at RevZilla), and I've really liked them. I was comfortable down to about 40F on my recent PNW trip (with the standard Tracer 900 GT hand guards and heated grips), at which point I was just on the edge of minor discomfort.

I did get these OBR Adv Enduro ¾ Grip Mitt, and I tried them on the trip at 40-50F (along with the Dainese gloves). I didn't like them too much, because they were flapping around like crazy at 65mph+. Maybe if I figure out a way to dampen the flapping.

But generally I've been ok with the Scout Evo gloves anyway. If I expect cold on a tour, I usually take two pairs of gloves and swap according to temperature of the moment.