Winter or three season glove recommendations

Kemp

12 hours ago, wanderer said:

I did get these OBR Adv Enduro ¾ Grip Mitt, and I tried them on the trip at 40-50F (along with the Dainese gloves). I didn't like them too much, because they were flapping around like crazy at 65mph+. Maybe if I figure out a way to dampen the flapping.

Yeah, they need some kind of stiffener around the cuff, which the fancier brands have. I wonder if the OBR stuff is meant more for enduro bikes that wont be on the highway much.

54 minutes ago, Clem Fandango said:

Lee Parks with Outlast.  Those thing defy physics.

This guy gets it!  Those Lee Parks gloves are legit awesome, just expensive and I forget about them every time I need to buy gloves.   A friend had them and I almost stole them from him. 

Also Lee Parks advanced training classes are legit as well. 

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/6/2021 at 8:55 PM, wanderer said:

I did get these OBR Adv Enduro ¾ Grip Mitt, and I tried them on the trip at 40-50F (along with the Dainese gloves). I didn't like them too much, because they were flapping around like crazy at 65mph+. Maybe if I figure out a way to dampen the flapping.

Curious.  I've got these on my Tracer, and they've never flapped at all, and this trip as seen everything including sustained 110mph travel. 

Maybe just not strapping them up tightly enough?  Are you both using the inside loop for the handguard, and the outside velcro to hold them on?  Are you strapping the button-on straps inside of the mirrors (relative to the bike) so the pull inwards?  When I do this, they have a tensioned line from the lead inside edge (by the snaps, where that strap attaches) to the outside rear edge, which makes flapping impossible:

20211005_132432.thumb.jpg.067896b3bbbb37b8d038ec1c9462c959.jpg

Ive actually had mine off and on a few times, and buttoned onto both the Tracer and the Tenere, and never even a single flap.

---

As to actual gloves, I've got a set of First Gear heated gloves (afaik also sold as venture heat and warm'n'safe, all the same product) which are insulated on the outside but not the palm, and heat the outside of the hand, which is really ideal on a bike with heated grips.  

They're no bulkier than armoured summer gloves, and extremely effective.  I haven't needed to use them since installing the grip mitts, though - will need to be WELL below freezing before that's necessary. Even at 5C, I can't have my heated grips past 2 pips (7/10) before they get too hot.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

WinterMan,

Thanks for the description of your grip muff install.  BTW, whose bar risers are yours and how much height (or lowered?) did the offer.

To the thread topic, I have several cold weather all-leather gloves.  Warm n Safe's heated waterproof carbon knuckled insulated units are a bit bulky, as are Olympia's Gortex lined insulated gloves with visor wipe but only a gauntlet cinch and no wrist strap or armor.  I have several others (I have a dozens, as I'm a gear whore) but my favorite is the long discontinued Cortech Hydro GTs with full armor, hard palm sliders and waterproofing but no insulation; but with a glove liner go down to the 40s behind my KTM Adventure hand guards on the OEM heated grips.  Unfortunately I have a few pairs that jus don't cut it.

• Supporting Member
12 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

Curious.  I've got these on my Tracer, and they've never flapped at all, and this trip as seen everything including sustained 110mph travel.

Same here... just north of 180kph no issues. Anything near that speed and I am probably off route... LOL.

Edited by piotrek

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

On 10/24/2021 at 11:39 AM, 2and3cylinders said:

WinterMan,

Thanks for the description of your grip muff install.  BTW, whose bar risers are yours and how much height (or lowered?) did the offer.

They're Helibars risers.  1 inch up, 1 inch back (or alternatively forwards, depending on how you install it, giving you several different possible positions forward/aft depending on which direction the stock risers face).  It's a single piece unit, vs the normal two piece design, and quite well made.  The upside is they're guaranteed to work with the stock cables.  The downside, though, is they're a bit spendy vs cheap eBay risers, and I'm not sure whether quality really matters here.  Regardless, these fit the bike really well and do exactly what I wanted them to do.

---

Back to the gloves and mitts:

Gonna post some more reviews elsewhere, but I just finished a 2509km ride in 3-10°c, torrential rain (for 2 hour stretches twice, too) and snow.

I was wearing my Revit H2O waterproof gloves, but brought my First Gear / Warm'n'safe heated gloves Just In Case. 

As with my comment above, not only did I never need to wear the heated gloves, not only did my hands stay dry, but the *outside* of the H2O gloves stayed dry.  I'd have had dry warm hands with my mesh summer gloves.  And again, never more than 2 pips of grip heat, and rarely that much.

I can't recommend those grip mitts strongly enough, if you're going to ride in bad conditions.  Yes, they're not attractive.  But they allow you to wear slim gloves that give great control feel and comfort, while maintaining warm hands.  The value of that can't be overstated.

• Like 1

• Supporting Member
4 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've read reviews that stated Revit! gloves fit weird with long fingers and tight palm / knuckle sizing.  You're opinion on their sizing?

Depending on the brand, I wear anything from L to XXL though I usually wear XL.  I have a pair of the Revit "Sand 2" vented summer glove and had to buy a XXL for a proper fit.  One thing I didn't like was the 'connect' finger tips for touch screen connectivity, absolutely terrible.  Looking online I found retailers displaying this disclaimer.  "Note We have found the connect finger tips on the larger sized gloves do not work on Apple products." - I found that they don't work on a GPS screen either. 

Earlier this season I bought a pair of Alpinestars "Faster" wind-blocker gloves and the touchscreen fingertips are exceptional, while riding I can pull over and take a photo and send it with a text message without removing my gloves and they work on my Garmin screen with just the slightest tap.

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

6 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I've read reviews that stated Revit! gloves fit weird with long fingers and tight palm / knuckle sizing.  You're opinion on their sizing?

So, weird thing, there.  Glove sizing is very difficult for me, as I have huge , thick paws, but (relative to the size of my hands) short fingers.  I literally have gloves here from 2XL through 4XL.  What usually happens is to get my hand into a glove, the fingers end up being too long.  My summer gloves for example are 4XL - they're snug around my palms, but the fingers are definitely too long.

For me, the H2O's actually fit almost perfectly at 2XL.  They ARE snug to put on, but they're very comfortable on my fingers and fit really well.  My heated gloves are 2xl too, fit looser around the palm, but have too-long fingers too.  

It's frustrating, really, and means I definitely cannot buy gloves online because sizing is so random.  They'll provide charts based on palm width, but that's kind of useless given you need to be concerned with your hands circumference - thin wide hands != thick wide hands.  

2 hours ago, betoney said:

One thing I didn't like was the 'connect' finger tips for touch screen connectivity, absolutely terrible.

These are almost universally garbage IMHO.  The best solution I've found is getting gloves that fit well without worrying about touchscreen functionality, then slapping on some Glove Tacts:

https://glovetacts.com/

They work fantastically well, and are surprisingly durable.  I've had a set on for as long as I've owned my H2O's, and they're good as new.  Basically indistinguishable from the gloves they're stuck to.  And unlike "touch screen gloves", they actually work reliably and pretty accurately.

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member

I have minimum 2XL hamhocks and could sometimes go up to 4XL if they could be had.  I find gloves made in China despite the brand tend to have overly long fingers; while Pakistani made gloves seem to fit western hands better.  I'd say my fingers are appropriate to my palm size or maybe slightly on the short side.

I've looked at the Revit H20 before and maybe will give them a shot in 2XL if they can be had reasonably. 

I used the original Digit touch sensitive widgets whose tab had a threaded pin that stuck thru a given finger and a plate on the inside threaded onto the pin.  But when the rubber wore out the V2 were garbage, so I bought some silver impregnated RTV silicone and rebuilt the digit tabs.  Then I also found the GloveTacts Ultra but don't have much history with them yet.  I did find they worked better and doubled the quantity by cutting them in half and rounding the cuts.

I just installed the OBR ADV Gear grip mitts and hope to test them Sunday.  I did waterproof spray them first...

20211028_182724.jpg

20211028_182827.jpg

20211028_182923.jpg

• Thumbsup 2

So I checked, because it turns out Revit calls all their waterproof gloves H2O gloves but there's lots of styles.  Mine are the Mosca H2O gloves. 

Waterproof spray certainly won't hurt, but I found mine where entirely waterproof as they came.  It was actually kind of distracting sometimes how water would pool on them at speed, pretty neat.  

Congrats, though, hope they work well for you.  I'm disgustingly happy with mine, and have shared them around a fair bit to let people try them out.  

If you have any issues, just try adjusting the straps - it's not readily apparent but how you strap them on can have a significant impact on how they behave at speed.

I've found that Revit gloves are beautifully made, but the sizing is wildly inconsistent. I normally wear an XL, once in a while an XXL, and my paws are fairly standard in proportion, but I've never, not once, been able to find a pair of Revit gloves that actually fit. I once stood in front of a large rack of Revit gloves at a now-defunct retailer and tried on probably two dozen with no success. They told me that most Revit gloves sold online were returned, so the brand was a massive ballache.

For that matter, the same applies to other Revit gear. Very nice quality, no consistency or sanity in the sizing. I have managed to buy one pair of Revit pants from https://www.motorcyclegear.com/ because they actually measure and try on the gear they sell, and are able to give real-world measurements and fitment advice.

ANYWAY... back to the original topic, my most trusted few pairs of winter/nasty weather gloves are from Olympia.

As per standard procedure when I find gear I like, my order is the death knell for that particular line of gear or even the entire company. I'm not sure what happened to Olympia -- it's unclear whether the company is alive in some way or is just a twitching corpse. Availability is very spotty, but if you can find Olympia gear, it's great stuff for the money with accurate sizing.

I've had good luck with Firstgear gloves as well, and their sizing is pretty consistent, but (see the pattern here?) they no longer sell any of the gloves I like. Same goes for their other gear; as soon as I buy pants or a jacket I like, it goes out of production and is replaced with a vastly inferior, gaudy "updated" version.

Overall, I've given up on buying gloves online; wherever I travel, I seek out motorsports dealers and spend some quality time in the glove department. In-person is the only thing that works.

As a consequence, I have at least two bushels of gloves and there are maybe five or six pairs I actually wear...

Edited by bwringer
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
43 minutes ago, bwringer said:

Overall, I've given up on buying gloves online; wherever I travel, I seek out motorsports dealers and spend some quality time in the glove department. In-person is the only thing that works.

As a consequence, I have at least two bushels of gloves and there are maybe five or six pairs I actually wear...

Agree with this, I never buy gloves online anymore and even when trying them on in person it still takes me awhile to find the best fit. 

I too have a stock pile of gloves and only wear 3 different pair, Gore-Tex gauntlet for wet/winter, a fully vented, mesh summer glove and a wind blocker glove for Fall and Spring days. 

If all hell breaks loose and I get stuck in a monsoon on a road trip, I also keep a pair of fleece-lined, neoprene ice fishing gloves in my side case.  100% waterproof, relatively warm and they have incredible grip even under water.  I've tried them in a torrential downpour and they WORK.

https://www.amazon.com/Glacier-Glove-ICE-BAY-Fishing/dp/B002N0IXVS

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***