Slayed the Dragon

Yamajank

• Supporting Member

Great pics, love it

• Thanks 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

1 hour ago, Yamajank said:

I have to say the Dragon was fun, but you can find just as good about anywhere in the area and much of it with less traffic.

Yeah, a couple of years ago when I was in that area, I found I enjoyed the nearby roads I'd never heard of more!

There is also the ridiculously low speed limit and enforcement on the Snail of the Dragon.

56 minutes ago, wanderer said:

Yeah, a couple of years ago when I was in that area, I found I enjoyed the nearby roads I'd never heard of more!

There is also the ridiculously low speed limit and enforcement on the Snail of the Dragon.

At the one end of the tail, there was an unmarked cop car sitting on the side, but as we rode by it seemed empty.  Either it was just a deterrent, or he was doing what we all do every once in a while in the woods.

Been going to the mountains for two or three times a year for 40 years now. Discovered "The Gap" when a little old man I was helping pull his small fishing boat out of the lake at the north end said to me with some astonishment  "You like curvy roads?...go that way," pointing towards 129.  At that time it was all sport bikes and locals. A few years later I started reading about 'The Dragon' in all the motorcycle mags and the rest of the world found out about the little slice of motorcycling heaven, and turned it into the noisy, touristy, cruiser clogged, squid crashing, cop patrolled, destination that it has become.

When I go there now I kind of treat it like the big roller coaster at the amusement park. If the line is not too long...I take the ride. There are so many good roads in the area (NC SR 28 all the way into GA, Warwomen RD, Wayah Rd, NC SR 281, 215, 209,107, US 276, 64 when there is no traffic. ect) that the Gap is no longer the focus. Don't get me wrong, if your a sporty rider it needs to be done, but get a good map and find some of the real gems in the area.

• Thumbsup 8

I go down to the Smokies every year and after doing the Tail a few times I steer clear because of the crowds and as others have said, there are tons of great roads in the are that are empty.  :)  Everyone should do it once though, hehe.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, sabre85 said:

When I go there now I kind of treat it like the big roller coaster at the amusement park. If the line is not too long...I take the ride. There are so many good roads in the area (NC SR 28 all the way into GA, Warwomen RD, Wayah Rd, NC SR 281, 215, 209,107, US 276, 64 when there is no traffic. ect) that the Gap is no longer the focus. Don't get me wrong, if your a sporty rider it needs to be done, but get a good map and find some of the real gems in the area.

☝️ This!

While I have ended up on the Dragon a few times now. (Friends new to riding the area) I feel no pressing need to go back, I will if someone wants to.

A couple of good resources for paper maps of the area is Wayne & Jackie Busch (America Rides Maps) and (Maps | wildrides.info) most of the time you can find the wild mountain ones for free in a bike shop or local gathering spot.

• Thumbsup 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA

The general area where GA,TN and NC share borders is full of amazing roads in every direction.  My one and only speeding ticket was earned on the Tail Of The Dragon.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

I just like the scene at the Dragon.  Mostly sport bikes of all makes and sizes with one shared purpose:  to go as fast as possible on that twisty and treacherous road.  What could possibly go wrong?

Answer that question with a visit to the Tree of Shame!

Plus the food at the “Resort” ain’t too bad.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Haha 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, CRFan250 said:

I go down to the Smokies every year and after doing the Tail a few times I steer clear because of the crowds and as others have said, there are tons of great roads in the are that are empty.  :) 

That is my thinking as well.  "America’s number one motorcycle and sports car road" to me means crowds, traffic, squids, crashes and law enforcement.   

The fact that an 11 mile stretch of road has its own web site with travel and accommodation packages, souvenir store, event calendar, live web cam system and official photographer is enough to steer me away, it sounds like Disney World.  I'm sure its a great road but I ride to escape from the daily traffic and crowds. 

• Thumbsup 4

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Was there in September, rode the green eyed snake, the back of the dragon, tail of the dragon, cheroholla skyway, 28 moonshiners, etc, etc.  This is just north of the green Eyed Snake, 421 NC.

IMG_3418.thumb.JPG.c036c8debe3885804a66b9c557b84cea.JPGIMG_3388.thumb.JPG.db1e20ab6b39040e0769583cc3569dce.JPG

• Thumbsup 2

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• Premium Member

For the record.

The Dragon Is a fine road to ride. On a Wednesday afternoon. At 2:30 or 3:00pm. Weekends are a shitshow.

Here are the reasons.

Busy. Lots of people are off on the weekends. So, it's busy.

It's been hyped to the max. So. everyone knows about about it and feels the need to do it. On the weekends.

It is dangerous. 

The reasons.

Inexperienced riders. Going slow, Experienced riders. Going too fast. On the same two lanes.

While not all that challenging.  It is tight and technical.  Mistakes hurt.

There's a reason a rescue truck sits there all weekend long. 

It ain't because they're bored and have nothing else to do. 

• Thumbsup 2

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA