The NT1100 IS COMING THE 21ST!!!

2and3cylinders

7 hours ago, betoney said:

I think if you look at some of the sport touring or adventure touring bikes that are currently available, the wet weight of the NT1100 is very average.

Africa Twin manual/DCT - 498lbs/ 533lbs

Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT - 500 lbs

Kawasaki Ninja 1000SX - 516lbs

NT1100 manual/DCT - 524lbs/ 547lbs

BMW R1250 RS - 536lbs

Kawasaki Versys SE LT+ - 566lbs

Yamaha Super Tenere - 575lbs

BMW R1250 GS - 591 lbs

BMW R1250 RT - 615 lbs

Right you are @betoney. But my market niche is “mid” weight sport touring, which I arbitrarily say is 500 pounds wet or less.

So in your list only two bikes make my cut.  And I’m eager to demo the new Suzuki.  My days of horsing around a 600-plus pound bike are long gone!

• Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

• Supporting Member

The 2022 spring motorcycle shows should be interesting, with a number of legit new entries. The shows started to feel repetitive and unexciting in the last few years. The last exciting entry I cared for was the 2018 Wing... and it was a stunner. Looking forward to seeing the NT1100 (and others) in the flesh. It would take some serious wow factor (the bike AND the price) to peel me off the FJ, but I am now somehow prepared to sample and experiment a little. Feels a bit dirty... but I'll do it. 😬

Edited by piotrek
sp
  • Thumbsup 1
  • Like 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
57 minutes ago, piotrek said:

Feels a bit dirty... but I'll do it. 😬

That’s your moral compass whispering in your ear…   You’ll learn to ignore that eventually.  Trust me.  😇

• Haha 2

• Premium Member

I have a sportbike (98 VTR1000F) I moded into a sporty ST, and I've moded my FJ to the touring side of the equation adding weight.

I haven't seen any specs* on the NT1100 yet and I loved my 88 NT650 and never would have parted with it.

I hope the NT1100 will have 130 HP & 75 #' ATRW and be under 515* with center stand, CC and DCT.  I want DCT because of arthritis in my hands.

The 21st is just around the corner...

*I did see 548# but no power figures yet.

The fact this thread has taken off shows just how big a void there is in the ST market.

• Supporting Member
8 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

I have a sportbike (98 VTR1000F) I moded into a sporty ST, and I've moded my FJ to the touring side of the equation adding weight.

I haven't seen any specs* on the NT1100 yet and I loved my 88 NT650 and never would have parted with it.

I hope the NT1100 will have 130 HP & 75 #' ATRW and be under 515* with center stand, CC and DCT.  I want DCT because of arthritis in my hands.

The 21st is just around the corner...

*I did see 548# but no power figures yet.

The fact this thread has taken off shows just how big a void there is in the ST market.

From Cycle world - "The bike’s power comes from the same 1,084cc parallel twin that’s used in the Africa Twin, making an identical 101 hp at 7,500 rpm and 77 pound-feet of torque at 6,250 rpm".

"according to our figures, the NT1100A is 524 pounds wet, and the NT1100D (DCT model) is 547 pounds".

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

18 hours ago, betoney said:

That's the beauty of variety and having options, just like pizza, you like sausage and onion and I like Hawaiian with pineapple and jalapenos...  in the end its still PIZZA. 👍 🍻

Mmm...now I want pizza (and beer).

😉

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Anyone have a link to the official Honda reveal?  I haven’t seen anything other than vague ‘Coming Oct 21’ statements, and thought there would be some online event to promote the launch… 

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, betoney said:

From Cycle world - "The bike’s power comes from the same 1,084cc parallel twin that’s used in the Africa Twin, making an identical 101 hp at 7,500 rpm and 77 pound-feet of torque at 6,250 rpm".

"according to our figures, the NT1100A is 524 pounds wet, and the NT1100D (DCT model) is 547 pounds".

https://www.cycleworld.com/story/motorcycle-news/honda-nt1100-launch-confirmed-october-21/

But I've seen no power figures for the NT yet.  They could easily boost it over the AT, which is way under-stressed and doesn't need big power.

My 1980 Honda CB750F weighed over 550 and made only 67 & 43 at the crank.  I think I paid $2,000 out the door from Fun Bike Center in San Diego (they're still in Kearny Mesa!) with a very sleek matching silver Vetter Quicksilver fairing and chrome luggage rack.  It only had a 5-speed and a propensity to hit false neutrals at the most inopportune times.  One time it popped out between 3rd & 4th as I accelerated after passing an 18-wheeler on a 2-laner down past Chula Vista with my future wife on the back.  Of course another semi happened to be head-on at us.  Good thing the brakes were decent for those days.  Dual discs on Comstar wheels I think.  A clean, low miles one is hard to find for less than $6k!  I sold it shortly after that and continued to tool around San Diego county on my fleet of Matchless (all painted red), my fastest red 76 RD400 and my 72 Kawi H2 Mach IV (sadly blue but with Morris mags, dual front discs, Bill Wirges' chambers & clutch throughout bearing, etc.) until I moved to the Windy City a year later and got hitched.  Still have the RD and the same wife 🙂  The things people do for love!

https://www.motorbikecatalog.com/make/honda/cb750_four/cb750_four/1980.html

https://www.bike-urious.com/1980-honda-cb750f-super-sport-2/

https://magazine.cycleworld.com/article/1980/11/1/vetter-quicksilver-fairing

https://www.funbike.com/

• Thumbsup 1

Different strokes for different folks, but I find the thoughts of this bike, well...*yawn* a bit boring.

Hell, I find my Tracer to be on the barely minimum side of the scale. I can't imagine going further backwards.

• Thumbsup 1

Having owned a 2020 AT, there is no way I would buy that bike.  I sold my AT for the tracer because of the motor alone.  It's boring as hell and the fueling was quite snatchy.  The triple has WAY more character and more power.

I really hate that manufacturers are dialing up all these twins.  Mainly because they are cheaper to make but they mostly suck, lol.  Give me a triple, a v twin or an inline 4 before a parallel twin!!

• Thumbsup 4

In the end it might not matter. I spent over an hour talking to salesman/tech. at a Yamaha shop Friday.  He thinks it'll be 2 years till a return to normal of full showrooms. They had 7 bikes on the floor and 3 were kid dirt bikes.

Edited by peteinpa

• Supporting Member

With regards to weight comments I think there is 1 exception to adding weight that is acceptable and that is payload capacity.

If you moto camp or 2-up a lot the extra payload matters. BMW's 1250 bikes weigh more but they also have impressive payload capacity, I would guess the extra weight in those bikes comes mostly from more engine + more subframe metal. Curious to see where the NT1100 lands.

Also the NT1100's 238kg weight definitely includes the bash-plate in the pictures which looks CHONKY; we'll see if Honda also includes side-cases in that weight.

Honestly wish it came wither their 1200 v4 engine (vfr1200x) instead of the parallel twin. But like most of you I'm happy to see more bikes in a segment that offers practicality and fun. Will hopefully get more people on two wheels in the US where owning a bike is often more inconvenient than other countries.

My issue is when bikes start having 550+lbs dry weight and there's no additional payload or power to make it up. Like HD bikes.

• Thumbsup 2

5 hours ago, jthayer09 said:

With regards to weight comments I think there is 1 exception to adding weight that is acceptable and that is payload capacity.

If you moto camp or 2-up a lot the extra payload matters. BMW's 1250 bikes weigh more but they also have impressive payload capacity, I would guess the extra weight in those bikes comes mostly from more engine + more subframe metal. Curious to see where the NT1100 lands.

Also the NT1100's 238kg weight definitely includes the bash-plate in the pictures which looks CHONKY; we'll see if Honda also includes side-cases in that weight.

Honestly wish it came wither their 1200 v4 engine (vfr1200x) instead of the parallel twin. But like most of you I'm happy to see more bikes in a segment that offers practicality and fun. Will hopefully get more people on two wheels in the US where owning a bike is often more inconvenient than other countries.

My issue is when bikes start having 550+lbs dry weight and there's no additional payload or power to make it up. Like HD bikes.

Oh God! You aren't actually going there with the HD comment, are you?? Tell me that was just a suck-ass attempt at a joke....

Before sport touring bikes I had a 2014 Kawasaki ZX6R 636 ABS.  Something like 129HP and 424 pounds.  Light and flickable but reliable and easy to get parts for.  For me the 500+ sport touring bikes are heavy.  If I didn't care about weight would have bought an FJR.  For me the Tracer GT (and Tracer 9 GT) hit a sweet spot with enough power, great engine character and light enough for quick turn in.  The other day I was looking at a BMW R1200RT and thought that isn't that big.  The R120RT is big heavy bike with descent HP.  Then I looked at the R1250RS and it is the lesser lighter sibling to the RT.  Really caught my eye and got me thinking but while a very capable sport touring bike more weight does hamper handling.  Not going to even touch on cost and maintenance cost.

So NT1100 catches my eye but 10 pounds less than the R1250RS then I'd be looking for a used R1250RS.  However I like my Tracer 900 GT with is lighter weight and nice HP which the Tracer 9 GT improves on.  If I were buying today it would be a Tracer 9 GT.