The NT1100 IS COMING THE 21ST!!!

2and3cylinders

On 10/23/2021 at 4:17 AM, beardo said:

Nope. Honda no longer has the wool pulled over my eyes. The last time they got me was the CB1100. How Honda, managed to dumb down an eleven hundred cc, four cylinder motor, is beyond me. And to top it off, govern the top speed to 110. But to also make such a stunningly beautiful motorcycle so bland and boring, was all I could take. 

I get it. This NT is a different flavor to that CB. But what Honda excels at these days, is....*yawn*... putting people to sleep....

They definitely know how to engineer the fun out of motorcycles. Fit and finish can't be beat though. 

• Thumbsup 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

And the reviews begin

https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bikes/honda-nt1100-2022-first-impressions-video-review

DCT nice but requires constant downshifting to keep it on the boil?

Otherwise pleasantly boring drone?

It needs suspension and an IMU etc...and it's porky...though some say is OK 

I'm keeping my FJ...

• Thumbsup 1

Just out of curiosity I did a test ride with 2021 KTM 1290 Super Adventure S a few days ago and on the way home I stopped by the new Honda dealer in town to inquire about test riding a CB1000R. They surprised me with the NT1100 news. I was excited for a second until I realized that this is another big twin and I will probably like the engine character just a much as the KTM. Which is to say not at all.

The dealers are testing it this weekend as I write this and he will back to me with dates for test riding both the CB1000R and the NT1100. He was very happy with the price. 14000 euros including panniers etc which is cheaper than the Tracer 9 GT..

I'm pretty sure that I will stick with the Tracer.

• 2 months later...
  • Supporting Member
2 hours ago, texscottyd said:

Interesting comparison test here; objective and well presented.  Summary:  It’s a really close call between the NT1100 and Tracer 9 GT… 

I just watched that yesterday, no surprises on the CP3 vs P2 motor.   I have watched several launch reviews on the NT1100 and what is surprising is how well everyone says the bike handles for having non adjustable suspension and weighing 530 lbs.  Just goes to show you that sometimes spec sheets are just numbers on paper, the real truth lies in the test ride. 

I am really interested in taking a test ride when/if they are announced in North America.

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

I watched that video as well as a couple others last week I think.  The decent handling reports also surprised me.

I'd think the slower spin up and droning feel and note would pale quickly.  The DCT is a wonder though.  My bad left wrist, knuckles and fingers will need either a QS/Blipper or a DCT sooner than later I'm afraid.  Unless I can figure out otherwise, I'd have to ditch my McCruise to get a QS/Blpr to work on the FJ.

The better wind protection is attractive but after you add stuff to make it eq to the T9, it'll be more money and still not have a 6-axis IMU and all the goodness that comes with it that can save your bacon.

The color schemes and styling are comparatively a bit fuddy-duddy but the instruments appear better along with the BT app.

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 11/12/2021 at 8:45 PM, 2and3cylinders said:

DCT nice but requires constant downshifting to keep it on the boil?

12 hours ago, 2and3cylinders said:

The DCT is a wonder though.  My bad left wrist, knuckles and fingers will need either a QS/Blipper or a DCT sooner than later I'm afraid.  Unless I can figure out otherwise, I'd have to ditch my McCruise to get a QS/Blpr to work on the FJ.

Bret

You really owe it to yourself to get a test ride on a bike with DCT, its not for everyone but it is amazing.

The standard "D" or drive mode is admittedly frugal and upshifts way to early for my taste, however there are 3 "S" or sport modes that have much more realistic shift points and then there is always "M" or manual shifting with the paddle shifters which work incredibly well.

For sportier riding, would I want DCT on an MT or Tracer? NO, would I want DCT ona commuter or an FJR or C14 type bike for touring or casual scenic riding?  HELL YES!!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Supporting Member

Am I missing something, or is Honda not bringing the NT1100 to the US?   Based on everything I'm seeing, it sounds like a European model, with North America availability still unconfirmed.    That seems really odd to me, so I hope I'm just misunderstanding things...

• Supporting Member
7 minutes ago, texscottyd said:

Am I missing something, or is Honda not bringing the NT1100 to the US?   Based on everything I'm seeing, it sounds like a European model, with North America availability still unconfirmed.    That seems really odd to me, so I hope I'm just misunderstanding things...

As of right now, it is only available in Europe.  I'm guessing here but maybe Honda is releasing it in Europe only to test the waters?  If its a solid seller then possibly North America as a 2023 model?

It's a model that's still on my radar, it sounds promising but I'm wondering if the Africa Twin's parallel twin might be a little too tame? 

A part of me is still intrigued by the VFR1200x with its V4, the one I test rode several weeks ago sure left an impression. 😎

• Thumbsup 1

I owned a 2017 Africa Twin DCT and really like it. The DCT was cool and worked flawless 99% of the time. The newer versions are even better I hear. Very easy to ride motorcycle and relaxing when just cruising along on a Sunday enjoying the scenery, kinda like being in a car lol

• Thanks 1

• Premium Member
8 hours ago, dazzler24 said:

Does this post address your concerns 2and3?

Thanks Daz, though yes and no.

I can manually "speed" UP shift fairly smoothly and consistently without the clutch, which I knew the Healtech QS offers electrontically.  I will verify with Tony the below work-around.

"**Interestingly cool addition: I have a Healtech Quickshifter fitted, in the event of using lets say 2nd gear and cruise set to 30mph (so the revs are higher than my set minimum for shifter)  shifting up without clutch kills the cruise as it's also piggybacking the tach signal.. I rolled on some throttle and shifted buttery smooth into 3rd 4th 5th etc etc

To achieve this, Instead of pulling the CYL1 lead out and piggybacking it with the yellow wires + new plug to orange wire, I backed out the corresponding black wire on the healtech side of the piggyback and rerouted that instead..

Edited May 6, 2019 by Chris_MT09 "

However, I was discussing the incompatibility of a QS/Blipper; i.e., clutchless UP and DOWN shifting, which I have been told there is no work-around for.  But maybe an email to Tommy should be made.

Dam arthritis!!!

• Thumbsup 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/15/2021 at 11:20 AM, Clegg78 said:

I ride with people on 1200cc plants, and yeah they just always have a TON of grunt anywhere, where I need to be in the right gear.   

I understand totally. I ride with Gen1 and Gen2 VMaxes, Aprilia Tuonos, Z100 Ninjas. It's tough at times coming out of the curves onto a couple mile straight stretch. They just kick it to 5th and blip it to 150-160 and I'm back there flogging the ole FJ. Been really thinking of going the full monte and getting the MT-10. We're still not talking the 197-200 HP of the Gen2 VMaxes but I'm not at the top of 700 almost 800 lbs. either. Be more like the Aprilia but not having to have a mechanic named Tony on speed dial. The MT10, with some suspension work and a set of hard bags, I'm right there with the Gen1 and Gen2s having to have gas every 100 miles. But hey, when you want over 150 HP gas mileage is irrelevant. It's the "SPORTY" Tourer. And I'm not having to work back through the pack to get to 2nd or 3rd in line. Yes, I feel your pain.

Ain't no fun when the rabbit gets the gun!

• 3 months later...

The NT1100 will be a typical Honda. Over priced, over weight and under powered. With bits of brilliance and a lot of stupidity hidden under the plastic origami. As a 2018 Wing owner I have no use for a baby Wing. I have the real deal and want to stable a fun, quick and capable bike with the best boring motorcycle I've ever owned. They even ruined the CB1000R with the same formula. Why buy any of the Hondas when Yamaha has MT-10/09 variants? I use to own and drive nothing but Honda cars and have owned many of there motorcycles. Still have my first one a 50 MiniTrail. It's almost like Honda does not want to build and sell motorcycles or cars anymore as they go to the cellar.