rear carry rack for 2020 Tracer GT with panniers fitted - does it exist?

wordsmith

Hi all! I'm new here and just got my Yamaha rack in and want to install the 50L top box but got worried about the warnings all over it about not using panniers and top box together and load capacity and such.

The info on here sounds great ad eases my mind. I do a lot of longer distance riding and I may do some trips with my lady on the back and wanted to make sure it would work. I figured as long as I don't overload it more than the recommended max load capacity I shoul dbe fine.

Thanks for the info and I will be reading a lot more now that I'm here!

James

• 2 months later...
On 10/21/2021 at 8:48 AM, Manxkiwi said:

Yamaha seem incredibly over cautious about luggage. IIRC the top box shouldn't take more than 2kg and the panniers 3kg!!!

It's probably only an issue when riding two-up.

Grumpy Goat's example - which at first seems extreme - is still probably much less weight than a full sized pillion, so no big deal. But if you have a big pillion and a top box and panniers all full of gear, then you're talking some pretty serious weight on the rear end of the bike. 

When I did my 5000k south island tour, the GT was fully loaded (top box and panniers). With missus on the back, I worked out we were a few kgs over the bike load limit. The bike handled just fine. I do have a Nitron shock though. The stock shock would never have handled it!

• Thumbsup 2