Barber Track Day

PhotoAl

Sunday was pressed into duty as a corner worker at Barber Motorsports Park.  Always fun to watch track days from the novices just starting to the really fast experts to the folks on the liter bikes who just can't keep the front end down.  

I spotted a 2019 or 2020 Tracer 900 GT in the novice group and wondered if it was anyone who's on this forum.  So who was it, fess up and tell us how much fun you had.  

If you live near a track corner working is a fun way to get to see the action up close.  Takes time to learn and and work your way into the schedule for the big events but no better way to get to see and be part of a big event.

• Thumbsup 2

Sorry I did not see you.

Wasn't me, my wife has banned me from track days!  15 years ago I regularly had photos I took in the crash page of Road Racing World.  She saw too many and said no to track days.  She got some pretty good photos at the Vintage Festival including one of a fella on the far side of his bike.  Bike is upright and so is he but head is down and feet are up, he was fine but made a great photo.  Now she gets excited when she get a good crash photo - as long as no one is hurt.  LOL first time I took her out on a MotoAmerica (AMA at the time) starting grid I told her that most of the fans would give their right arm to be where she was.  She is better at people photos and gets some great podium shots.  

Sunday I was in station 7 which is on the exit of the hairpin.  Fun to watch to folks pull the front wheel up and then panic and drop it back down - know it was a panic set down when the front wheel bounces.  At Vintage saw Nate Kern do a massive power wheelie at the crest of the tunnel.  It was a fantastic one and of course very well controlled as he was just playing - warmup lap.  For those who don't know he has made a career out of racing BMWs - the opposed twins!  He was racing a 9RT and making a very good show of it.  

• Thumbsup 3

I just got a 2019 Tracer GT, picked it up Sept 25, 2021.  I am upgrading the suspension and brakes over the winter.  Once that is done, I will be at track days once a month in 2022.  I suspect Road Atlanta will be somewhat boring on the Tracer, but TGP, Barber, and NCM should all be fun tracks for the tracer.  If time and money allows might do a weekend at Jennings.  I like that track, just a long drive so need to afford the time/money to do both days

• Thumbsup 4

On 10/21/2021 at 10:34 PM, Rdecae81 said:

I just got a 2019 Tracer GT, picked it up Sept 25, 2021.  I am upgrading the suspension and brakes over the winter.  Once that is done, I will be at track days once a month in 2022.  I suspect Road Atlanta will be somewhat boring on the Tracer, but TGP, Barber, and NCM should all be fun tracks for the tracer.  If time and money allows might do a weekend at Jennings.  I like that track, just a long drive so need to afford the time/money to do both days

Be sure to post up, I'm sure we'll cross paths at some point, especially if you ride with STT. 

'15 FJ09

I did the parade lap a couple of years ago, first time on a track, it was real fun.
I could see how people could get into it.
I would love to at least try a track day. one day...
of course, i'm the spitting image of that meme of leaning expectations vs reality. ha.

• Thumbsup 1
  • Haha 1

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, brewhaha said:

I would love to at least try a track day. one day...

A Sportbike Track Time day at Little Talladega is a good place to start. $100 track day. They rent leathers. Novice category is not a school, but there is enough instruction that you won't be a danger to yourself or anyone else. And control riders are always available for advice. Again, not a school, so their advice is more personal experience than a particular teaching system, but they are all enthusiastic and want to see you improve. 

Bike setup is pretty easy in Novice or Intermediate - Water Wetter in your radiator, zip tie center stand, tape wheel weights and lights, pull a few fuses I think was it. 

For me, the hardest part is timing the track day with new tires since I don't have a tire changing machine at home. Next time you need a pair of tires, check the STT website to see if they have a Tally day coming up. Another $100 + $20 in Water Wetter and maybe $50 or $75 in leather rentals if you need them and you can have your track day. 

• Thumbsup 3

Little Tally would be a fun track for a track day.  Been there many times but have never been around it even in a car.  It has more tight corners than Barber but a fun track.  

Watched Garrett Gerloff as a kid race minis with WERA there.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

Barber is fun.  I raced there with AHRMA a few times.  Little Tally and CMP were fun, too, but I liked Barber better.

Just a thought about track days - I'd remove the centerstand before hitting the track with this bike, since mine touches down before the right side peg feeler on the street. 

• Thumbsup 1

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, duhg said:

Barber is fun.  I raced there with AHRMA a few times.  Little Tally and CMP were fun, too, but I liked Barber better.

Just a thought about track days - I'd remove the centerstand before hitting the track with this bike, since mine touches down before the right side peg feeler on the street. 

Barber is definitely better than Tally but much more expensive. I've never raced but I did a weekend at Barber forever ago on a Ninja 600. 

I also never reprogrammed the speed governor on my FJ so I max out at 112. Good for Tally but slow for the Barber back straight.

Never bad to remove the center stand, but I only scraped pegs at Tally.

Maybe we need a group track day or weekend at Tally next year? Looks like they have days in April, July, and Nov. 

• Thumbsup 2

18 minutes ago, 1moreroad said:

Barber is definitely better than Tally but much more expensive. I've never raced but I did a weekend at Barber forever ago on a Ninja 600. 

I also never reprogrammed the speed governor on my FJ so I max out at 112. Good for Tally but slow for the Barber back straight.

Never bad to remove the center stand, but I only scraped pegs at Tally.

Maybe we need a group track day or weekend at Tally next year? Looks like they have days in April, July, and Nov. 

My comment is unrelated to track days, just about a very well done museum and facility. I don't do track days, but have some friends who do at Heartland Park in Topeka. It ain't a Tally or Barber though!!!