How to access stator plug/wires @ rectifier for test

howie333

14 hours ago, howie333 said:

update: put some loads on; caused battery to die. battery sat fully charged since last night. put battery on charge since, and has been charging for quite a while now. guessing it was defective battery. I did test output voltage on stator @ 20V A/C on all combinations. 14V d/c stator output worried me it may be low. It should have been slightly higher considering some small loads I use. I'll bring battery to a local auto store  to put load across battery to know for sure. Where the best place to buy new battery ? local or internet store ?

TNX. Howie

20 V -AC is LOW for a stator output. 
was that measured at 5k RPM?

DC measurements from a stator are irrelevant. 

cheap batteries leave you stranded, IMHO. You get what you pay for… (many people here will disagree with that statement). Do what you will. 

.2-.5ohms of resistance is fine. This test doesn’t have to be spot-on resistance wise, it’s simply to see if the windings are intact. 

the short-to-ground test measurement on each stator wire to battery ground should be infinity/or OL depending on your VOM. The test is very important! If your stator output tests are perfect and high but you have a short to ground, then your charging won’t be adequate. 

ground wires should always be verified to be tight and clean as well. the FJ/MT have a smaller ground connector that needs to be connected just down from the battery negative connection  

I’m adding these notes here for anyone who comes across this thread down the road. Howie’s testing was incomplete. However a battery replacement is still a wise call at this point. 

Let us know how you make out,

-Skip

Edited by skipperT
  • Thumbsup 1

1 hour ago, skipperT said:

20 V -AC is LOW for a stator output. 
was that measured at 5k RPM?

DC measurements from a stator are irrelevant. 

cheap batteries leave you stranded, IMHO. You get what you pay for… (many people here will disagree with that statement). Do what you will. 

.2-.5ohms of resistance is fine. This test doesn’t have to be spot-on resistance wise, it’s simply to see if the windings are intact. 

the short-to-ground test measurement on each stator wire to battery ground should be infinity/or OL depending on your VOM. The test is very important! If your stator output tests are perfect and high but you have a short to ground, then your charging won’t be adequate. 

ground wires should always be verified to be tight and clean as well. the FJ/MT have a smaller ground connector that needs to be connected just down from the battery negative connection  

I’m adding these notes here for anyone who comes across this thread down the road. Howie’s testing was incomplete. However a battery replacement is still a wise call at this point. 

Let us know how you make out,

-Skip

Thanks for reply. i'll do a load test on battery 1st, Battery plus has the Xtreme AGM powersport battery for just under $80, Not sure, but I may go with larger battery. i didnt test A/C output @ 5K rpm's, but will do and get back to you. The grounds are tight and good shape @ different locations, and no shorts to GND. Thank you !   

• Thumbsup 1

6 hours ago, peteinpa said:

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ10S.html

I've been using these for many years. Quick delivery and great life.  Just fully charge before first start.

I'll be putting this one in when the time comes.  Remove foam and a perfect fit.

https://www.batterystuff.com/powersports-batteries/sYTZ14S.html

Larger with more CCA.

Batterystuff only warrantees batteries listed for that bike. The YTZ14S is not covered. I would have to buy stock size and CCA; or take a chance on it; buy a( motocross) brand(same CCA) or a lithium type.  

7 hours ago, peteinpa said:

Hmmm...How do they know what bike it's going in.  You have an ST1300 right?

Yea, well if on a future warrantee issue, they asked what bike I installed it in, I better know what bike the

larger battery supposed to fit in !

• Haha 1

Well; I think I've got a choice of 2 batteries: The Scorpian YTZ14S, 11.2AH/230cca from Batterystuff, $70

or the XTREME from Battery plus, 11AH/ 210cca $90. I could also go w/The stock size OEM battery and is either 8.6 or 9.1 AH and 190cca.  The only extra load on bike are yamaha heated grips, a CB radio and a chain oiler.

Please help . TNX...

Howie..  

I changed to a larger 14A battery after 4 years. Other than a small saving in weight and cost I can't see the point in staying with the standard size. It's like Yamaha specced for the bigger battery at the design stage, then saved a few quid, dollars etc. with a smaller battery and a foam spacer.

• Thumbsup 1

13 hours ago, JonnyB said:

I changed to a larger 14A battery after 4 years. Other than a small saving in weight and cost I can't see the point in staying with the standard size. It's like Yamaha specced for the bigger battery at the design stage, then saved a few quid, dollars etc. with a smaller battery and a foam spacer.

the larger battery is near 2 lbs heavier . that's a lot.

• Supporting Member

@howie333 - I'm curious as to the need for a larger battery.  A lot of people run multiple devices, including heated seats and riding gear on their bikes and you never hear of any issues, -battery capacity or needing excessive cca requirements just aren't topics that get discussed with this bike.  

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

2 hours ago, betoney said:

@howie333 - I'm curious as to the need for a larger battery.  A lot of people run multiple devices, including heated seats and riding gear on their bikes and you never hear of any issues, -battery capacity or needing excessive cca requirements just aren't topics that get discussed with this bike.  

FJ-09 motor starts always seemed to need a little extra torque to start compared to a lower compression engine  on my Kawasaki  Ninja 650R.  The only additional loads on the FJ are a J+M CB radio, a chain oiler, and OEM heated grips. If safe, i'll stick w/stock battery size.   

• Thumbsup 1

the larger battery is near 2 lbs heavier . that's a lot.

Near 2lb? Actually 1.6 lbs. I would be astonished if anyone could tell from moving or riding a Tracer if it had the bigger battery fitted.