How to access stator plug/wires @ rectifier for test

howie333

On 10/21/2021 at 5:48 PM, betoney said:

Just my opinion but I wouldn't waste my time and energy, just get a new battery and be done with it.  Last thing you want to do is get a few hours (or days) away from home and be stuck with a dead bike. 

Also I highly recommend a voltage meter of some sort to be able to tell battery voltage at a moments notice.

pic03.jpg

This right here.

On 10/21/2021 at 7:17 PM, howie333 said:

Thanks for reply; I also read that a larger battery will fit (wide) if foam spacer is removed. not sure if needed.  

It's not.

On 10/23/2021 at 3:19 PM, betoney said:

@howie333 - I'm curious as to the need for a larger battery.  A lot of people run multiple devices, including heated seats and riding gear on their bikes and you never hear of any issues, -battery capacity or needing excessive cca requirements just aren't topics that get discussed with this bike.  

Exactly.  I run:

Heated jacket liner, heated grips, heated gloves, heated helmet, LED light strips, and LED flood lamps, and a wireless fast charger for my cellphone, and my battery (I've got a meter like @betoney's above that also provides a USB port) sits comfortably at 13.9-14.1v with everything on high riding in -25C.  I've never once had an electrical/charging issue.

The Tracer has it's flaws, but a weak charging system isn't one of them.  

I mean, there's a part of me that says, "Hey, get the larger battery, and it'll last longer if something goes wrong!" but really, it's not going to make a big difference.  The most likely use case here is "I've left my keys in the bike and the lights on and gone inside" but in that case, it's going to sit like that till the next day anyways, and if the battery could still start the bike one hour longer than the stock battery, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever in the end result.  *shrugs*  A larger battery won't help you run more stuff at once (not that that is a problem) as that's a limit of the charging system not the battery.  It'll just run them longer when the bike is shut off, but that's really not something we want to be doing lest we risk the bike just not starting at all.

Edited by Wintersdark
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Wintersdark said:

This right here.

It's not.

Exactly.  I run:

Heated jacket liner, heated grips, heated gloves, heated helmet, LED light strips, and LED flood lamps, and a wireless fast charger for my cellphone, and my battery (I've got a meter like @betoney's above that also provides a USB port) sits comfortably at 13.9-14.1v with everything on high riding in -25C.  I've never once had an electrical/charging issue.

The Tracer has it's flaws, but a weak charging system isn't one of them.  

I mean, there's a part of me that says, "Hey, get the larger battery, and it'll last longer if something goes wrong!" but really, it's not going to make a big difference.  The most likely use case here is "I've left my keys in the bike and the lights on and gone inside" but in that case, it's going to sit like that till the next day anyways, and if the battery could still start the bike one hour longer than the stock battery, it's not going to make any difference whatsoever in the end result.  *shrugs*  A larger battery won't help you run more stuff at once (not that that is a problem) as that's a limit of the charging system not the battery.  It'll just run them longer when the bike is shut off, but that's really not something we want to be doing lest we risk the bike just not starting at all.

I agree. I also picked up a l.e.d. voltmeter to monitor.  I got nervous when bike shut down riding the tail of the Dragon and no cell service. replaced battery, later that month, the stator. I had always kept battery on tender. 

TNX for reply !