Yellowstone and Grand Teton NP Trip from Denver on the Tracer.

Clegg78

• Supporting Member

@Clegg78 - Very nice trip summary.  From the map I couldn't quite tell if you made it to Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass but it would have bee a shame to have been so close and not included it.

I am hoping to make it back to Colorado next year, specifically the Black Canyon, Independence Pass and  Loveland Pass areas.  What time of year would you suggest, considering traffic and weather?  Last time we rode in Colorado was just after Labor Day and we rode in rain storms every day. 

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

5 minutes ago, betoney said:

@Clegg78 - Very nice trip summary.  From the map I couldn't quite tell if you made it to Chief Joseph Highway and Beartooth Pass but it would have bee a shame to have been so close and not included it.

I am hoping to make it back to Colorado next year, specifically the Black Canyon, Independence Pass and  Loveland Pass areas.  What time of year would you suggest, considering traffic and weather?  Last time we rode in Colorado was just after Labor Day and we rode in rain storms every day. 

Yeah the pics of the bike on the top of the world is at Beartooth Basin :)     I didn't do Chief Joseph because it was either that or Beartooth, and Beartooth was on my list.

The black canyon will be good next year.  this year it was mostly closed for road work and impossible to get to due to some highway work.   Really for that area anytime after June 1st should be OK, but there is always the chance of a rogue snow storm still... unlikely, but can happen.    June - Sept/Oct is generally the riding season.  Into Sept/Oct you will need to watch the weather close!  October can be awesome some years, others it can be all snow and winter. 

Late June -> 1st of August is generally the rainiest time of the year with afternoon storms pretty routine.    Then stuff dries up in August a lot for a pause until mid sept weather systems.   But all the storms generally are hit/miss.   This year was pretty wet in certain areas if you traveled on the "wrong" week :) 

I have video of the East Portal road at Black Canyon here: 

and Independence Pass here: (toward the end)

• Thanks 2

• Supporting Member
32 minutes ago, Clegg78 said:

Really for that area anytime after June 1st should be OK, but there is always the chance of a rogue snow storm still... unlikely, but can happen.    June - Sept/Oct is generally the riding season.  Into Sept/Oct you will need to watch the weather close!  October can be awesome some years, others it can be all snow and winter. 

Late June -> 1st of August is generally the rainiest time of the year with afternoon storms pretty routine.    Then stuff dries up in August a lot for a pause until mid sept weather systems.   But all the storms generally are hit/miss.   This year was pretty wet in certain areas if you traveled on the "wrong" week :) 

That is great info, Thanks. 👍

• Thumbsup 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

On 10/23/2021 at 4:10 PM, betoney said:

Ditto on Chief Joseph & Bear Tooth. I've been fortunate to ride all of the mentioned areas several times. Cody is a neat town with a great museum, and The Chief Joseph rivals many reads for some twisted. If you can get to the N entry to Glacier the Going to the Sun Road is great. In CO, Poudre Canyon is nice, and RMNP is a must. Glad you got to make your ride. Good for you!!

• Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member

Looks great!!  Sooo jelly.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, Clegg78 said:

I like cool weather on the bike!

Same.  People sure look at me funny when I tell them that.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount