anyone in florida with a 27mm socket?

propr'one

I’m on a lenthy trip from my home in northern ontario to mexico, with a stop in florida. my chain has gotten quite loose and i’d like to adjust it, unfortunately at the motorcycle rally in panama city all the harley guys laughed at my strange sized axle nut. i’d hate to buy the tools and have to leave them somewhere as i dont have room to take them with me. 

can anyone help me out? i’m currently in panama city but will be riding south across the state to the keys.

please and thank you :)

• Supporting Member
50 minutes ago, propr'one said:

I’m on a lenthy trip from my home in northern ontario to mexico, with a stop in florida. my chain has gotten quite loose and i’d like to adjust it, unfortunately at the motorcycle rally in panama city all the harley guys laughed at my strange sized axle nut. i’d hate to buy the tools and have to leave them somewhere as i dont have room to take them with me. 

I hate to state the obvious but NEVER go on a road trip without tools, especially basic ones for tire removal or chain adjustment. 

• Thumbsup 3

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

25 minutes ago, betoney said:

I hate to state the obvious but NEVER go on a road trip without tools, especially basic ones for tire removal or chain adjustment. 

thanks for the advice but i dont have the skill to balance a tire machine on the back of my bike. maybe with a few more years riding experience.

• Haha 1

• Supporting Member

Have you tried stopping by any metric auto repair shop? One may be willing to lend you a ratchet wrench and a socket for a small fee. 15 minutes and you're back on the road. You mentioned that you just have to take up some slack in the chain.

• Thumbsup 1

canada.gif.22c5f8bdb95643b878d06c336f5fe29f.gif

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, propr'one said:

thanks for the advice but i dont have the skill to balance a tire machine on the back of my bike. maybe with a few more years riding experience.

No tire machine necessary, just a ratchet and socket for front and rear axles, a 12 mm wrench and a hex key set will get you a long way when traveling.  Get creative with how you pack, you absolutely do have room for those basic tools, they take up very little room. 

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

Here in NH most Advanced Auto Parts stores will lend tools if needed.

And good luck on you big tour.  The Keys are great.  Just take the Saw Grass around Miami!

Edited by nhchris
  • Thumbsup 1
1968 Triumph Bonneville 650
1971 Norton Commando Roadster
2002 Harley 1200 Sportster
2003 Honda ST 1300
2016 FJ 09

1 and 1/16th in. same thing.  Once you get in the bigger metric bolts and nuts English will do.

front sprocket is 1 and 3/16th in. Just bought one. Couldn't find the metric one in stock anywhere with Covid low inventory.

• Thumbsup 1

thanks very much everyone, i picked up a 27mm socket at autozone and a breaker bar at walmart. i struggled a bit with my bikes (cheap, aftermarket) adjusters (installed by the previous owner) and ran out of daylight, but i should be good to go  after a final check in the morning. i'll return the breaker bar to walmart, as carrying around a 4lb tool that's available at every auto parts store in the world is completely unnecessary, but i think i might suck it up and leave the socket in the boot.

• Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member
On 10/24/2021 at 4:57 PM, koth442 said:

@fddriver2, you're in south Florida ain't ya?

Yes. If @propr'one is still around and needs help.  I literally just got home from NC. Just pm me.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

"It doesn't matter who walks in, you know the joke is still the same"  Ft. Lauderdale, Florida. USA