• Who's Online   0 Members, 0 Anonymous, 43 Guests (See full list)

• There are no registered users currently online

suspension upgrade for big guy :-)

Rdecae81

so I have been working with local suspension shop and at this time it looks like I will be doing the following

K-Tech  Razor-R rear shock

K-Tech   20mm IDS cartridge in Front

I am installing the rear shock, and I am taking the forks off the bike

Total cost out the door, parts, seals, dust cover, oil  is about 2,125.00

Once I know the springs used I will post that information as well

Setup

Mountain/track riding

single rider, 225-250lb fully dressed ready to ride

assumes no luggage, (most I have is tank bag and passenger seat bag with water, snacks and rain gloves)

The few times I ride with full luggage I will just back off the pace.

I am building thsi for the 80% riding I do, which is weekend mountain riding and once a month track day.

Hoping to make an appointment for Dec 17, they are checking their schedule.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 2

• Supporting Member
2 hours ago, Rdecae81 said:

so I have been working with local suspension shop and at this time it looks like I will be doing the following

Regardless of brand, quality suspension is the best money you can spend on your bike. 👍

• Thumbsup 2

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Premium Member

First, you're not so big, kinda average, if that makes you feel better...

For street riding and an occasional track day, .95 springs will provide enough support without being too stiff and overpowering the damping.  You can blend your own fluid to about 16 cSt at 40 C

https://widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html

I haven't checked prices since before the pandemic but $2100 sounds high.  I'd consider doing the forks yourself, with a few  inexpensive specialty tools it's not that difficult.  With patience, watching a couple how to videos, and planning, the forks can be done very conveniently in the comfort of your own abode in a long afternoon.  That should save you considerable $, and give you confidence and peace of mind, increase your knowledge base, and expand your understanding and skill sets.

Just one heavier older once somewhat fast guys thoughts...

basically I have 4 options

High End
AK20 / Penske-8983   =  2,650.00

Mid range
Axxion Valve upgrade /  Penske-8983  =  1,750.00

Mid Range
Axxion Valve Upgrade / YA-223  = 1,600.00

Value based
Axxion valve upgrade / YA538   1,300.00

I am fine doing my own rear shock work/install, but I will pass on the forks work.  I will let the professional do my Forks. Now I will remove the forks myself and just take the forks in and that cuts the Fork labor costs almost in half.

• Supporting Member

Looking at your parts list it seems like you are going through Traxxion Dynamics.  I bought a Penske 8983 from them and it is fantastic.  I would think that their Axxion valves work just as well as their AK-20 cartridges, though wont be as sexy looking since you would use your standard fork caps.

When you call about pricing, ask Dan if they have a Black Friday sale, when I ordered my shock he gave me a ridiculous deal. 👍

actually I have contacted 5 companies, and all have been great to work with

Livengood

Cogent Dynamics

Traxxion

A1 Racing

Thermosman Suspension

I am very lucky to have 5 great suspension shops that are within driving distances of my house.  

at 67 years old and to be honest slowing down a little, I am probably going with a YA-538 and the Valve/Spring upgrade.  I think for my riding style and pace it will be more than enough.  10 years ago I would have gone full fork kit and top rear shock, but I am not dragging knees anymore and I am fine riding 85% pace now.  I will keep everyone updated on my final components and spring weights.

And keep in mind, I ride ONE up, with no luggage 90% of the time.  

thanks

Edited by Rdecae81
  • Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member

IMO Ohlins are overpriced and the 2 models you list have only rebound damping I believe; I feel rebound & compression are the way to go.  Hydraulic preload is very nice but if you don't often have a passenger &/or luggage, it's not necessarily worth the extra dosh.

I have both a K-Tech Razor R & Penske 8983 (on different bikes); which both also have adjustable length.  The Penske may be higher quality but I've found needs rebuilding more often than the K-Tech; either are an excellent choice with the Razor R being the price point leader.  They also offer a Razor R Lite with only rebound damping and no remote reservoir.

https://www.ktechsuspensionusa.com/p-21710-k-tech-suspension-razor-r-lite-rear-shock.aspx

vs

https://www.ktechsuspensionusa.com/p-24785-k-tech-suspension-razor-r-rear-shock.aspx

For not a lot of shekels more, you can add a right fork cap & rebound damper rod on the left along with variable compression damping.

• Thumbsup 1

interesting I have found in general Ohlins is about the same as most other brands,  Ohlins top shock YA-537 is 1,100.00 the 8983 is 1,100.00  Razor R is 895.00 and Ohlins YA-223 is 935.00.  Razor light is 595.00  YA-538 is 650.00

Ohlins Street NIX 30 Cartridge Kit FKS504 is 950.00 + springs, the AK20 kit is 1,500.00 total, so about the same

I will look at the razor lite, none of the shops has suggested that shock.  thank you

Edited by Rdecae81
  • Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member
On 11/11/2021 at 1:26 PM, Rdecae81 said:

I am building thsi for the 80% riding I do, which is weekend mountain riding and once a month track day.

1 hour ago, Rdecae81 said:

I will look at the razor lite, none of the shops has suggested that shock.  thank you

*Just my opinion*... if you are going through the time, effort and expense of upgrading your suspension, don't try to save a few bucks with a mid-range shock (rebound only).  You don't need a triple clicker or remote preload adjustment but personally I would never forego having both rebound and compression adjustment, especially if you are riding mountains and track days.  The ability to adjust the compression damping to firm up the ride for the track or twisties and then soften it back up for normal street riding is a valuable option to have.

• Thumbsup 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, betoney said:

*Just my opinion*... if you are going through the time, effort and expense of upgrading your suspension, don't try to save a few bucks with a mid-range shock (rebound only).  You don't need a triple clicker or remote preload adjustment but personally I would never forego having both rebound and compression adjustment, especially if you are riding mountains and track days.  The ability to adjust the compression damping to firm up the ride for the track or twisties and then soften it back up for normal street riding is a valuable option to have.

I thought somebody else already said exactly that! 😎

On 11/12/2021 at 5:51 PM, Rdecae81 said:

interesting I have found in general Ohlins is about the same as most other brands,  Ohlins top shock YA-537 is 1,100.00 the 8983 is 1,100.00  Razor R is 895.00 and Ohlins YA-223 is 935.00.  Razor light is 595.00  YA-538 is 650.00

Ohlins Street NIX 30 Cartridge Kit FKS504 is 950.00 + springs, the AK20 kit is 1,500.00 total, so about the same

As a big guy who has the NIX30 front and YA-537 rear on my Tracer - its a perfect setup.   Getting the correct springs for your weight (I worked with a suspension guy in town to get that right spec) and from there the valving adjustments are more than enough for C/R on both front and rear to make your life easy.   I've done gravel riding, high speed flowing roads, and harsh switchback riding fully loaded with zero issues.   

I carry a small adjuster tool (that I happen to sell  @ jk3d.us ) with me for the front forks to tweak based on what I am doing and the rear compression adjustment I can do while sitting on the bike.   

And Price wise... it hits above its weight, I consulted with a number of suspension folks at the local track, and in specialty shops and they all said Ohlins was the way to go for the price and that unless I was actively tracking the bike weekly, the higher end stuff isn't worth it and is more finicky.   (I went in looking at Penske, Wilbers, and Nitron, and was walked back on those back to Ohlins.) 

Edit: Ha I see Ohlins now has a all black setup for the suspension hardware the YA-588, same specs as the 537 it seems but black.   What fun is that?!  and its more expensive.  

Edited by Clegg78
  • Thumbsup 2

• Premium Member

I have the same K-tech setup and it has been great.  It's a big improvement over the stock suspension.  Money well spent.

• Thumbsup 3

https://ridemsta.com/oh-tmr/  Riding makes me happy. "Do it or don't do it - you'll regret both." - Soren Kierkegaard

2015 FJ-09, 60k miles, Hord Power ECU, K-Tech suspension, MC Cruise

so one question.  I have a 2019 Tracer GT

figure in 3 months it will be 3 model years old, with 20K miles, so probably worth 8K give or take

how did you justify (sorry I am a right brain CPA) spending 2,500.00 on a 8k bike.  I plan on keeping this bike for another two years, but by then it will be 5 model years old, with 50k miles.  the depreciation will be about 100% on the suspension components

on the other hand I will have 30k miles of fun, so maybe I just focus on that, and screw the money

• Supporting Member
54 minutes ago, Rdecae81 said:

so one question.  I have a 2019 Tracer GT

figure in 3 months it will be 3 model years old, with 20K miles, so probably worth 8K give or take

how did you justify (sorry I am a right brain CPA) spending 2,500.00 on a 8k bike.  I plan on keeping this bike for another two years, but by then it will be 5 model years old, with 50k miles.  the depreciation will be about 100% on the suspension components

on the other hand I will have 30k miles of fun, so maybe I just focus on that, and screw the money

I don’t ever consider resale value on a bike, I keep them many years and with high mileage the value diminishes greatly.  For me, suspension is more of a “smiles per mile” expense rather than affecting the resale value, it’s something I have done on every bike for the past 30 years. 

• Thumbsup 6