KTM 1290 Super Adventure S. Underwhelmed.

petshark

Just for fun I put this full-option bike to the test on some of my favorite roads.

liked:
-look (hated it before but it grows on you) except the exhaust
-ipad-like display with it's tons of settings and options.
-footpegs (big chunk of rubber)
-turn radius
-high mirrors. Even with my extenders on the Tracer I can see a lot less than on the KTM.
-radar. This works really well. I had it do a panic stop behind a car and didn't feel as scary as I had imagined. I would use this all the time if I had it.
-cruise control works in all gears from 40 km/h upwards. Don't like the limitations on the tracer GT.
-Engine layout. It looks more accessible than the Tracer to work on.

didn't like:
-engine character. I was totally unprepared for this. It felt agricultural like a tractor, or how I imagined a diesel motorcycle would feel.
-engine sound. Same as above.
-huge exhaust.
-controls seem flimsy plastic
-Shifter. it's very small and easy to miss. Just a case of getting used to it of course.
-Leg ergonomics. The bike feels a lot bigger, yet my legs felt more cramped.
-The price!

I probably forgot some stuff.

Anyway, what struck me most was that when I got back on the Tracer it felt like a race bike. So smooth, compact and snarky. Like next-gen... Except for the new Bosch innovations that will find their way to Yamaha too, the Tracer is 100% the better bike to me.
And then taking into account the myriad of issues that these bikes have (I have a friend with a 2016 model so I know first-hand) I know that it will be a long time before I look at KTM again. YMMV

• Thumbsup 1