2021 Honda CB1000R Black edition

petshark

My next test ride was the 2021 Honda CB1000R Black edition. Again a quick comparison to my 2019 GT (Ohlins and ECU flash)

image.thumb.png.21bb0bb92e7ffc035f48b7722a724dcb.png

• Engine, feels and sounds great (those cracks and pops!). I didn't really miss the torque or linearity of the triple. Loved the power rush at 6-7k and heard from the dealer that there is another one that is insane near the redline.
  • Display. small and elegant. looks classy and is more clear somehow than on the tracer. My only gripe is the virtual tacho. It's round but too small to quickly see the rpm (not that you often do that once you know the bike)
  • Rider modes. Great implementation. I liked the other modes but spent most time in Sport mode (our A-mode) to experience the full power.
  • Build quality. It feels like a Honda I guess. More robust and less plasticky.
  • Suspension. Comparing their stock suspension to my Ohlins did not feel like a huge step down except for more dive, but that could be related to the sporty rider position? (more weight on the handlebars). In any case it handles really well.
  • Brakes. Huge difference to the Tracer. Great feel.
  • Looks. It looks great for a naked bike but the Tracer look fine as well. The single-sided swing-arm looks wicked!
  • Quickshifter. A lot smoother. 1st to 2nd no problem.

Dislikes:

• Rider triangle. pegs are too high up and I felt cramped plus too much pressure on my wrists. Definitely a more sporty rider position.
  • Not much grip on the tank with my knees. The Tracer fits me like a glove.
  • Mirrors. As bad as the Tracers were without the extenders.
  • No heated grips
  • No cruise control
  • No center-stand
  • Mileage
  • Just not a touring oriented bike. That is not meant as criticism. It's a naked and a great one at that. If I could afford a second bike I would seriously consider this for the short rides that I often do to relax but as an all-round bike it lacks many of the options that I need.
  • It would probably kill me in the end.

So after the test ride I got back on the Tracer and it was nothing like after the KTM 1290 SAS test. The Tracer felt big and slow but much more comfortable. After the KTM the Tracer felt compact, nimble and sporty. I can only imagine going from the KTM to the Honda... like getting of a tractor and getting in a sports car.

Next up.. Multistrada V4 Pikes Peak

Conclusion:

I would be seriously tempted if Honda did something like a BMW S1000XR with this 1000cc engine. Now that I think of it, I should book a test ride with that one as well.

https://powersports.honda.com/street/sport/cb1000r

Edited by petshark
  • Thumbsup 2

• Supporting Member
5 hours ago, petshark said:

My next test ride was the 2021 Honda CB1000R Black edition.

And your thoughts?  :)

I have a good friend with a 2018 model CB1000R (we call it The Less Black Edition) that he really enjoys.   Typical excellent Honda build quality, and the fit & finish is impressive at the price point.  After removing that monstrous rear fender & license plate assembly, it's a nice looking bike. 

His only complaint is that the motor is a bit flat below about 6K rpm...     

• Thumbsup 2

13 hours ago, texscottyd said:

And your thoughts?  :)

I have a good friend with a 2018 model CB1000R (we call it The Less Black Edition) that he really enjoys.   Typical excellent Honda build quality, and the fit & finish is impressive at the price point.  After removing that monstrous rear fender & license plate assembly, it's a nice looking bike. 

His only complaint is that the motor is a bit flat below about 6K rpm...     

Sorry about that. I accidentally posted the title while I hadn't written anything yet. I tried to delete the post but that isn't possible it seems. I finally found the time to finish my review just now. Check the OP.

16 hours ago, mikerbiker said:

Black Friday is coming up.  Just sayin...

(ok, just noticed you're not in USA, but we bestow on you title of honorary Black Friday member so you should get one)

Black Friday has found it's way to Europe as well but I don't think that cars and bikes are in though.
Just like Halloween. These concepts were only known to us from movies when I was younger but after a couple of years of pumpkins I've just seen the first kids doing trick or treat this year. Globalization at it's finest 😜

But seriously, not really in the market for a new bike. Just checking what is out there...