ABS warning light due to running on center stand

Skidood

All, I just wanted to double check....I want to run the bike on the center stand, in gear...(no, this is not for lubing the chain)  I understand that doing this may trigger a fault light, presumably for ABS.  Can this be turned off afterwards?  Also I will assume it would be a good idea to turn off TC beforehand....

• Thumbsup 1

• Supporting Member

I've done this with no issue at all, didn't have to disable TCS, and ABS will auto-calibrate when both wheels are turning and clear the light.

• Thumbsup 1

2015 FJ-09 / FJR touring bags / oil plug mod / Evotech rad guard / SW Motech bash plate / VStream touring windshield / Seat Concepts:  Sport Touring / Vcyclenut ABS rings (speedo correction) / Cosmo RAM mount

I believe that the Tracer 900 GT (year 2019 onwards) will give you a fault indication which can only be turned off by computer. Mine is a 2019 model and haven't tried it, but there are other treads on this topic.

You will get a fault light doing that, it happened to me. Im not sure if turning TCS off will help, but since the I purchased and OBD2 adaptor cable to I can read & clear codes like this myself. At the time I had to pay my local dealership to clear it since that affects Quickshifer, and some other things as I recall. 

One thing to note, My wheel was spinning much faster than idle speed, so this might have been a factor. I putt the bike in 2nd and gave it a quick spin to dry the chain after washing it... and BOOM the light came on.

Edited by denveryzf

I had the engine check light come on recently after running my bike on a dyno and the dealer cleared it for me, but if I have run the rear wheel at low speed on a stand I haven't had the light come on.

• Supporting Member

@Skidood - The responses above pretty much confirm what I've seen on the forum over the years:  You can get away with SOME degree of running the bike in gear on the center stand, but once you cross the threshold to trigger the error code, it's there until you or the dealership clears it.   Starting with the 2017 models, it requires an OBD-II code scanner and special adapter cable, so proceed with caution.   

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 4:34 AM, Skidood said:

OK thx for the replies.  Yes I want to run it at high speed and yes I have an OBDII reader but I dont have the adaptor.  I think I will forget about this for now. 

Wise decision

If you run it at idle in first gear on the kickstand you should be ok but if you speed up you will likely get an error code.  What part of MSGA are you? I'm in east Tor but in the Cawthra Lakeshore area most Thursday mornings and you could borrow my cable if needed.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, Skidood said:

OK thx for the replies.  Yes I want to run it at high speed and yes I have an OBDII reader but I dont have the adaptor.  I think I will forget about this for now. 

I do have adaptor and you know where to find me when you need it. Ps. I run my 2017 on few occasions in second gear pretty fast without any issue.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Rick123 said:

I do have adaptor and you know where to find me when you need it. Ps. I run my 2017 on few occasions in second gear pretty fast without any issue.

Hey!  Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind, and I'm sorry I have not been in touch.  🙁

On 11/26/2021 at 4:40 AM, Dpl900 said:

There is nothing wrong ..... go to a dealership and they will turn it off in 2 minutes 

I had exactly the same issue

Yep, I had the same problem but the engine check light came on and drive, menu and TCS functions stopped working.  The dealer plugged in the computer and reset everything and now no problems (they did it for free).

I will not be putting the bike in gear while on the center stand from now on.

BTW this was on a 2021 Tracer 9GT.

Edited by OldBikers
Added the bike type.
  • Thumbsup 1

On 11/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, Skidood said:

Hey!  Thank you very much, I will keep that in mind, and I'm sorry I have not been in touch.  🙁

No worries.

On 11/26/2021 at 4:05 PM, Skidood said:

Edited by Rick123