Where can I get OEM connectors??

johnmark101

I have a broken turn signal connector on the main wire harness.  Does anyone know of a source for this part?  Also, where can I get the tiny pin tool used to remove the wires from the broken connector?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
14 hours ago, johnmark101 said:

I have a broken turn signal connector on the main wire harness.  Does anyone know of a source for this part?  Also, where can I get the tiny pin tool used to remove the wires from the broken connector?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

One thing I have done on a few occasions is go to my local Yamaha shop and talk to the service manager, they have piles of old wiring harnesses.  He cut the connector I needed with about 6" of wire, enough length to easily splice it onto my existing wiring.  I didn't have to wait for shipping and got the connectors for free.  It never hurts to ask.

• Thumbsup 2
  • Like 1

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

9 hours ago, betoney said:

One thing I have done on a few occasions is go to my local Yamaha shop and talk to the service manager, they have piles of old wiring harnesses.  He cut the connector I needed with about 6" of wire, enough length to easily splice it onto my existing wiring.  I didn't have to wait for shipping and got the connectors for free.  It never hurts to ask.

Hey Betoney..........checking with the local dealer service department is a great idea!!  I would do this but I already ordered from Cycle Terminal.  I also ordered a terminal pick tool as those are very handy to have in the tool box.

I had a nasty crash October 8th due to the local road crew leaving a load of crap in the road.  It happened so fast I was on the ground in an instant.  Did a good bit of damage to the left side of the bike including ripping out the turn signal and breaking the male connector coming off the wire harness, thus the need for a connector.  Six broken ribs from hitting the pavement pretty hard and a severe hematoma on my left leg where the bike landed on me.  Also had some minor damage to the left lung but that was the first thing to fully recover.  Still cannot bend my knee much and I am walking with a limp.  A couple ribs still sore and sneezing hurts like heck!!!  

Insurance estimated damage at 3500 bucks and I have a 1000 deductible.  They gave me a check for 2500 and I was able to source all the parts for 1100 and will do the work myself.  If a part got so much as a scratch ordered a replacement so the bike should be fine when I am done.  

• Sad 2

There is nothing like spending a day riding with friends in the grip of a shared obsession.

• Supporting Member
19 minutes ago, johnmark101 said:

Hey Betoney..........checking with the local dealer service department is a great idea!!  I would do this but I already ordered from Cycle Terminal.  I also ordered a terminal pick tool as those are very handy to have in the tool box.

I had a nasty crash October 8th due to the local road crew leaving a load of crap in the road.  It happened so fast I was on the ground in an instant.  Did a good bit of damage to the left side of the bike including ripping out the turn signal and breaking the male connector coming off the wire harness, thus the need for a connector.  Six broken ribs from hitting the pavement pretty hard and a severe hematoma on my left leg where the bike landed on me.  Also had some minor damage to the left lung but that was the first thing to fully recover.  Still cannot bend my knee much and I am walking with a limp.  A couple ribs still sore and sneezing hurts like heck!!!  

Insurance estimated damage at 3500 bucks and I have a 1000 deductible.  They gave me a check for 2500 and I was able to source all the parts for 1100 and will do the work myself.  If a part got so much as a scratch ordered a replacement so the bike should be fine when I am done.  

Wow, sorry to hear of your accident, at least you have all winter to heal.  Best of luck in getting your bike put back together. 👍

***2015 Candy Red FJ-09***

• Supporting Member

@johnmark101 - that didn't sound like much fun at all!  Good to hear that you're still upright though and getting on with the refarkling process.

Get well over your winter period and prepare for the next window of opportunity.

Above all, stay safe.

WOW!  Sorry to hear you went down, bikes can be fixed and sounds like you are on your way back.  Take care of yourself and get ready for when the weather warms up. The other day my son, who finished Family Practice residency in June, was telling his brother-in-law about one way to check for broken ribs.  Take care of that knee and make sure it is not injured, don't want lingering issues.  

I bought an airbag vest last summer and wear it more than any other gear except my helmet.  Even riding my scooter.  Hearing stories like your was one of the big motivators - I'm old and fragile.

Several years ago was checking the valves on my CBR600RR and as I rotated the engine a connector got caught and broke.  Actually bought an entire wiring harness off of eBay to get that one connector.  

Edited by PhotoAl

7 hours ago, PhotoAl said:

Had to post this up:

https://advrider.com/motorcycling-safer-than-riding-horses/

So @johnmark101 see you are in Kentucky the land of horses.  Good you are trying to break away from dangerous pursuits like riding horses and are riding a motorcycle instead.  🙂

Interesting article.  Thanks for sharing.  Yes, I live right in the middle of thoroughbred country.  It's beautiful here but winter sucks in Kentucky.  One of my best riding buddies owns horses.  

I would imagine where you are winter is not so bad.